August 2017 Moms

Dopplers yay or nay?

Ladies what are your opinions on dopplers? Are they reassuring or more anxiety provoking?  I thought entering into my 2nd trimester would take a lot of pressure off me but I still get worried from time to time because appointments are 4 weeks apart. I heard the baby with the doppler at my midwifes office last week which reassured me but I wonder if I should get one for home? If so, what kind do you use? I'm curious to hear people's opinions on the topic, good or bad. Thanks. 14.5 weeks today :) 

Re: Dopplers yay or nay?

• https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/89694867#Comment_89694867

There have been some other discussions on dopplers but I don't feel like going through all of them. General consensus is you know you best. If you know it's going to freak you out if you can't find the heartbeat don't get one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What @nyx said. I knew it would freak me out, but my midwife gifted me one. Started trying at home at 12 weeks, couldn't find it after searching for over 30 minutes--cue the anxiety. Midwife found it within seconds at our next appointment. I finally found it at 14ish weeks, but it still took like 25 minutes and was so easy to miss. I'd say if you think it could possibly cause you anxiety if you weren't able to find it (highly likely that you won't), then don't get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • dinofreakdinofreak member
    edited February 2017
    I want to get one to possibly have peace of mind, but I think I would drive myself even crazier if/when I can't find the heartbeat. It took the doc a while in the office, and he does it every day. I'd probably just irritate baby and be upset myself. Plus, good ones are expensive :tongue:
    I have a stethoscope, which I know won't work for at least 3 more weeks, but I keep trying with it anyways. I'm getting really good at finding my iliac artery haha

• I personally love having the Doppler. I have the sonoline B one. 
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You should be feeling baby soon, too. I let him remind me he's okay. 
  • I like having one. I always find the HB in the same spot.
  • My sister gave me hers and it is great for peace of mind.  I do second that it could cause anxiety if you can't find baby's hb
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a Sonoline B - seem to always find baby after a couple minutes but not everyone does. I did a lot of watching videos and got help from my Dr. Some days I love it. Others I'm annoyed because this baby likes to move. It's in the closet and can only use it twice a week. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!