Baby Names

Avett

JAGinMIJAGinMI member
edited February 2017 in Baby Names

I'm not usually one to care a whole lot what others think of a name we are considering but this one is so unique (IMO) that I want to get a feel for it. We are having a boy and our last name is a single syllable. Pronounced Ay-vit. And, yes, we are fans of the Avett Brothers so that is what made us think of it.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
**TW**
MMC & D&C Aug 2016

Avett 96 votes

I like it.
11% 11 votes
Meh.
16% 16 votes
Ew. Don't do it.
71% 69 votes

Re: Avett

• FWIW,  my first thought wasn't Avett bros, but a mispelling of Avivit.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't like it. Also unique means one of a kind. There is already a Avett Band so its not unique at all. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't care for it at all. Sounds WAY too close to Yvette (I thought that you were naming a daughter). What is the origin of the name? 
  • My first thought was the Avett Brothers and what great taste in music you have:) sounds great. I'm sure by unique you meant not common as a first name and that seems accurate. It's actually not that strange of a name at all,  go for it if you love it.
  • Interesting to hear the commentary on the pronunciation because I would not have thought of what was mentioned here - thanks for the helpful responses! @Bringmemylongswordho I have never even heard the name Avivit so that was good to have pointed out.

@saham07 We looked it up and it doesn't have an origin. We have only ever heard it in the band's name.

@sarcasm101 Thanks? I could have said "uncommon" but unique is a synonym for uncommon and uncommon is a synonym for unique. Also, to say it is not unique "at all" is not accurate. According to our searches, less than 250 US babies have been named Avett since 2009. 

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • My first thought was the Avett Brothers and what great taste in music you have:) sounds great. I'm sure by unique you meant not common as a first name and that seems accurate. It's actually not that strange of a name at all,  go for it if you love it.
    Thank you! And see my comment above regarding it being unique ;). I agree with you, which is why I usually don't care too much for name consensus (which is why my two kids' names are not super popular), but since I have heard it used as a first name, getting people's feedback on things like whether they thought it was feminine sounding or how they expected the pronunciation is definitely interesting/helpful! I would like to try to avoid giving them a hard-to-pronounce name.

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • I think I would mispronounce it, if you are concerned about that. I think I would tend to say "uh-VETT"
    Same 

• My sister named her dog Avett for the same reason. I like it. It's unusual, but not too out there. I like names that are meaningful.
  • I LOVE The Avett Brothers, which definitely sways my positive opinion!

I did mispronounce it back in the day fwiw. Mixing up ay-vett with ah-vett.

We like one of our top contenders more because of its connection to an Avett Brothers song. The name Eleanor from a Father's First Spring.

• I pronounce this ahh like apple - vet like an animal doctor. I have never heard of the Avett brothers. To me it looks like you liked Everett but wanted to be speshul. Also, fun fact, my phone autocorrects this to Avent (like the baby bottles)
  • I pronounce this ahh like apple - vet like an animal doctor. I have never heard of the Avett brothers. To me it looks like you liked Everett but wanted to be speshul. Also, fun fact, my phone autocorrects this to Avent (like the baby bottles)
    Wow. The stuff you learn when you ask for opinions. I would have definitely never thought of most of what was said about this name. 

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • I also would have pronounced it Ah-vet. I don't know the Avett Brothers, so that could be it :) I would probably use it as a middle name. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's not horrible but sort of looks like a mix of Avery and Everett.

As a mn I wouldn't side eye it though, my nieces mn is actually Eisley after my SILs favorite band and I think it's kind of sweet
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @FakeFinn I understand that because until I knew how the band pronounced it, I said it wrong, too (I actually forgot that until I started reading the comments on this thread. I think the commentary on the pronunciation here has been enough to convince me that it is better suited as a middle name, if at all. I truly don't want my kid to have a name everyone says wrong.

@laurenm2123 it's been really helpful to see things like what you said about the name mix or other people's thoughts on what we were going for. For us, we know the band, we know the pronunciation so we wouldn't have ever considered all these things people thought.

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • allywatallywat member
    edited February 2017
    I actually know a couple that just named their baby Avett and I know they are big fans of the band. I like it, it is unusual but to me it sounds familiar. But I'm also a fan so maybe that's why.
  • I've never heard of this name/band before and when I first looked at the name I did not pronounce it correctly. Also thought it was a misspelling/typo of Everett for a second. I said it out loud and imagined hearing it spoken, and since I'm not at all familiar with it my instinct was that I would think it was an accented pronunciation of David.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I have a friend who named her baby this and he's adorable :) I know that doesn't really matter haha but it has a good correlation for me
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• I would pronounce it AV-it if I saw it, and similarly think it was a speshul Everett. But it's not horrible, and you can now make an informed decision.