Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding Baby with lip tongue tie revision- won't take bottle now

So our baby had a severe lip and tongue tie and two weeks ago we had it revised. He is doing much better on nursing and healed up nicely. Now that he is nursing much better, I need to try him on the bottle to get him ready for me going back to work in March. He refuses the dr brown's bottles completely. I am wondering if there are any nipples or bottle brands that work for your babies that refuse browns? 

Or are there any out there that just refused bottles altogether and how did you solve the problem? I have to go back to work full-time so he absolutely needs to be comfortable with the bottle. 

Re: Breastfeeding Baby with lip tongue tie revision- won't take bottle now

• When I introduced the bottle to my LO we had to do the bait and switch. Start with breast and switch partway through to the bottle. We also dipped the nipple into the breast milk so baby would associate it with food. Maybe try that before you try different bottles. Your ped or LC might have some suggestions too.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I don't have a lot of experience with this, but do know that the Dr. Brown's bottles are not very realistic. My daughter liked Avent Natural or Munchkin Latch, the latch on those bottles seems much more like breastfeeding. 

Also so maybe try to have dad or someone else give the bottle. I think it's pretty common for babies not to take a bottle from mom, since they would prefer to breastfeed.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • @ccarrozza1 I was so scared about going back to work because we went 6 months with no bottle (LO refused).
    Finally my husband just took a day and worked with her on it. She'd take 1 or 2 oz so he'd get discouraged, and I did nurse her in the afternoon,  but eventually she sucked down a whole bottle the second evening of this.
    I've heard of babies who refuse until they're old enough for a sippy cup, but it turned our that our LO isn't stubborn, she just needed to practice the mechanics.
    Ironically, after I bought one of every bottle that anyone recommended because they were similar to the breast, our success came with the regular medela bottles that came with the pump!
  • So we finally got him to take the bottle but we had to switch to Lanisnoh Momma. He took to those very quick.  We are trying to give him pacifiers now. Currently attempting to use Mam pacifier. He spits them out after s bit
  • Even my baby who loves pacifiers often spits them out after a bit. Until they can put them back in their own mouth, you'll probably end up having to put them back in their mouth for them. I'm glad you found a bottle that works though!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Haha, yeah I forgot when that happens. I think my daughter was a little better at keeping the pacifier in but it would still pop out sometimes and I remember getting up at night searching for it on the floor...the born free all rubber ones bounce and go missing!
  • My baby is having the same issue! Did you ever figure it out.. she had her revision 1 weeks ago today idk if something is wrong or it’s healing right but she REFUSES the bottle my husband is having to bring her to my work in which I can’t do for months!! I have my mom who sits for me and she can’t transport the baby that easily to me!!! 
    Help I don’t know what to do! 
    MPs we seen the chiropractor today for her to do cranial therapy we are waiting to see if that seems to help over the next couple days