Trying to Get Pregnant

Great BIG supplement thread

What are you taking ? How much ? What are you giving your SO ? How much ? 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
TTC post VR Sept 21/16
SA 6 weeks post op 50.7 mil count 40% motility

Re: Great BIG supplement thread

• My H and I are both taking PNV (well, mine is a PNV, his is the Rainbow Lite mens vitamin) as well as 2200 mg Vit D daily
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited February 2017
    DH:
    --a multivitamin (which I make sure he takes daily)
    --almonds (does that count? lol)

Me: 
    --PNV
    --Magnesium (Natural Calm for insomnia)
    --Baby Aspirin (Dr. recommended)
    --Eta: chia seeds (omega 3)
  • Loading the player...
  • I clearly be posted this for selfish reasons. I only take folic acid. @dragonfly89 what does baby aspirin do for you ? What is baby aspirin ? @kiwi2628 are you and your H taking vitamin D ?

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• @flashley: *TW*** My doctor recommended it after my CP. Even though it was my first loss...she said it wouldn't hurt.**TW**

Baby aspirin is 81 mg low dose aspirin. It's supposed to help with potential clotting and thins blood, so improves uterine blood circulation. I had a thin uterine lining at the time of loss and multiple 1.5 day spotty/clot periods. I didn't take the suggestion until this past cycle though. While on it, I noticed AF went up to 2.5 days, no clots and was regular flow. So, I am continuing to take it.
  • Me:
    Nature's Made Prenatal Multi + DHA
    Women's Probiotic
    Drinking Raspberry Read leaf tea

DH:
    Regular Men's Multi vitamin
    Fish oil

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I take: 

• Rainbow Light Prenatal One OR Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA
    • If I've taken the RL Prenatal, I also add in a Nature Made Fish Oil Pearl
    • 3,000-4,000 IU of Vitamin D (not much rhyme or reason as to whether I take 3 or 4 pills a day.  It depends on how well I think I'll be eating/how many pills fall out into my hand)
    • 100 mg of CoQ10
    H takes
    • Rainbow Light Mens Multi
    • 100 mg of Coq10
    I know my dr said if I get pregnant again, that I'll start taking a baby aspirin.  I need to do some research as to whether I should start around O or if I should wait.  If anyone has any suggestions/links to legit studies, I'd appreciate it.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • DH: Nothing, can't even get him to take fish oil supplements for his cholesterol
    Me: Prenatal prescribed by my Dr. (it's free with my insurance) and I just started a women's probiotic today that was suggested to me. I've been getting frequent vaginal yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. I feel like my perineum is short and that's probably part of the reason. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• My doctor recommended I only take folic acid and not a PNV ? I question this ?! I'm going to get coq10 tomorrow for us both. 

Me 27 <3 DF 44
    TTC post VR Sept 21/16

• Me: prenatal vitamins, evening primrose oil 3x daily until O, red raspberry leaf tea until O, baby aspirin after O
    DH: fertilaid daily--he only takes it once a day because he said three pills a day made him queasy and gave him headaches but he doesn't have a sperm issue so I figured it couldn't hurt. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• I take a prenatal, but I've been taking it for a while. My doctor recommended it to strengthen my hair and nails and I feel like it worked (could totally be the placebo affect). I also take probiotics and vitamin D. 

DH isn't on any vitamins as far as I know- I'm lucky I can get him to stop getting punched in the crotch by his buddies in his unit. I'll start working on him with that when he gets home. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• @FLAshley My dr. recommended a pnv even as a regular multi vitamin because I'm "of reproductive age" (her words) (this was when I was taken off BCP from bad side effects but was contemplating continuing TTA) however it is the folic acid that is most important during the early weeks of pregnancy and I'm not sure there's any truth to other vitamins aiding fertility besides helping overall health. 

DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• Question: does anyone know if its ok to take a PNV and a multivitamin? Just curious. My previous multivitamins have things in it that my PNV doesn't...so would be nice to have both.
  • Pinky917Pinky917 member
    edited February 2017
    I take a PNV (Rainbow Light Prenatal One), 200mg CoQ10, and 5000iu Vitamin D (this may go down after I get more bloodwork done in April) daily. I also take Evening Primrose Oil 3x a day from CD1 until O.

DH takes a multivitamin and 200mg CoQ10 (and I practically have to force him to take it, ugh).

ETA: I also drink Red Raspberry Leaf Tea leading up to O, but mainly just because I am trying to cut down on caffeine and I like it. 
    Me: 32 DH:33
    Married 9/2015
    TTC #1 6/2016
    BFP: 4/21/2017 - CP
    Dx Unexplained IF 6/2017
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI 7/2017 - Cancelled (overstimulated)
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #1 - BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #2 -BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI#3 - BFP! EDD July 15 2018
    Baby Girl H - July 22 2018

• @dragonfly87 From what I know, most of the vitamins in prenatals and multis get released in your urine if you get too much. Not sure if that means they would do no harm in excess or not (potential for kidney/liver issues maybe). There is apparently something called a PNV plus multivitamin. You could look and see if that has what your multi has but PNV doesn't and see if the daily values for what they both have isn't too high. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @dragonfly87 I would be concerned about getting to much of certain vitamins by taking both a multivitamin and a prenatal, which could end up making you very sick. Can you get whatever isn't in the PNV on its own? 
    Married 9/2015
    TTC #1 6/2016
    Dx Unexplained IF 6/2017

• @pinky917: good idea, I will look at specific supplements not in the PNV and see if I can find them sold separately.
  • Me: Prenatal including DHA. CoQ10(200mg)(Ubiquinol, not the other one). 5,000 iui vitamin d (is that too much?!). I was taking fish oil but I think it gave me a rash, I need to try it again.  Pregnitude, which is powdered my-insitol and folic acid.

DH: CoQ10(200mg)(Ubiquinol, not the other one). 5,000 iui vitamin d. Kroger brand men's multi vitamin. Fish oil (1,000mg)
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @ktcakes87 I take 5000iu because I was Vitamin D deficient. What my doctor had recommended was take 5000iu for a while, and if my levels are normal the next time I have bloodwork I would knock it down to 2000 to maintain. I don't think taking 5000iu is necessarily bad, but I might recommend dropping it down a little bit of there isn't a deficiency.
    Married 9/2015
    TTC #1 6/2016
    Dx Unexplained IF 6/2017

• @Pinky917 I have no reason to think I'm deficient, but the ones I bought are 5,000iui. Maybe we will finish these then buy lower does ones next time. I did double check with my friend who works for poison control and she said you can't OD on vitamin d or anything l :D
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I'm taking:
     - Rx prenatal.  No specific one at the moment, I'm working my way through a pile of samples my RE gave me.
       Before I started on the Rx samples, I was taking RL prenatal one
     - TJ's Omega 3 DHA/EPA
     - CoQ10
     - Extra Vitamin C

H:
     All of the above except swap out the prenatal for RL men's multi.
  • Me: prenatal, omega 3, probiotics, vitamin d (1000iui), desiccated liver capsules, greens powder, maca, 4 cups red raspberry leaf tea a day, l'arginine, collagen peptides, pineapple (incl. core) 1-5 DPO, green tea CD1-O

H: men's multi and omega3 (both taken rather sporadically, unfortunately)
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • I am TTA but have started taking a few things. I take a PNV with DHA, vitamin B complex, cranberry, and coq10.
    Question: I am only taking 30 mg. of coqu10 a day. Is that too little? 
  • A PNV or multivitamin with folic acid is really the only thing you need to take unless your doctor recommends otherwise. It is possible to overdose on supplements and not all excess are peed out so you really shouldn't take anything without the advice of your doctor.

I take vitamin code raw prenatal + Nordic naturals DHA + extra iron because I'm deficient. My RE put me on 300 mg coQ10 for egg quality for IVF.

DH takes a men's multi vitamin.
    Thank you for saying this.
    I'm kind of shocked at how high of a dose of certain vitamins some people seem to be taking!
    I have Vitamin D deficiency and was prescribed 2,000 IU twice a day (4,000 IU total). If you don't have a deficiency, there's no reason to supplement an excess amount of a vitamin. You can have harmful side effects from taking too much of any vitamin or mineral. If the excess Vitamin D isn't excreted (and it's not all excreted, it does build up), for instance, you can get a build up of calcium, which can result on vomiting, weakness, poor appetite, kidney problems...
    I fully understand wanting to make your body as healthy as possible while TTC to facilitate the growth of a LO, but, in doing so, you can definitely have the exact opposite effect if you're not consulting your physician and doing your own research on what you're actually putting in to your body and how much you're putting in.

AFM, even though we're TTA at the moment, for TTC-purposes I take a prenatal vitamin and a folic acid supplement, at the recommendation of my PCP and my previous OBGYN. For general health reasons, I also take 4,000 IU of Vitamin D and fish oil (twice a day), also at the recommendation of my PCP.

DH doesn't take any supplements for TTC-purposes, but for general health reasons he's started taking Vitamin D (only in the winter).

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• I have been taking the Natures Made PNV with DHA and I take an additional 2000 IU of Vitamin D. I always tend to get Vit D deficient in the winter and my PCP recommend 3000 IU but the PNV already has 400IU so I figure that's good enough. I'm planning to start RRL tea and the plan is to get DH on a multi this weekend! 

@izza2 Do you take the folic acid supplement because there isn't enough in your PNV? My PNV already has 800mcg which I think is within the sugggested range?

@LadyMillil Your advice is what I have also been thinking. I have been considering the coQ10 but I don't really know enough about it and my quick google reasearch (I know, real reliable) reflected that there isn't alot of evidence supporting how much you should take for fertility so idk if I want to mess with that. 
  • @JJMNO1616 - My PNV has 800 mcg, I take a supplement for 200 mcg. My annual BW has been suggesting that I may have a slight problem with actually absorbing nutrients from food (and I really don't eat enough food that has a significant amount of folate), so when I mentioned TTGP to my PCP during a visit in 2015, she suggested taking 1 mg (1,000 mcg) of folic acid in total. My OBGYN was on board with that recommendation, so it's what I've been doing.
    1 mg is at the top of the tolerable level, not over it, so there's not really a risk of it masking a B-12 deficiency like taking too much would.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @dragonfly87 - I actually take a regular multivitamin and then added in an extra folic acid for this reason.  The regular multi had additional vitamins that the PNV I was looking at didn't have.  There is less folic acid in my regular multi (than the PNV) so I just add a 400 mcg folic acid to top it up.

I also take an omega-3 supplement (with 500 mg fish oil, 300 mg omega 3, 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg DHA), 1000 IU Vitamin D, and 600 mg ubiquinol.

DH takes a men's multivitamin, the omega-3 supplement, 1000 IU Vitamin D and 400 mg CoQ10.

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    3 failed IUIs; IVF August 2017
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • I take...nothing. And he takes...nothing.  :s yikes, need to get on that.

Disclaimer, not officially TTC yet, just talking about starting soon, but still! 
  • @Pacty49 I believe the recommendation is to start taking a pnv 3 months before TTC. GL! 
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• Forgot to add earlier that I eat a tablespoon of chia seeds daily soaked in my pom juice. It's kind of like a supplement because it's a great natural source of Omega 3 (about 2.5 grams or 2500mg).
  • @dragonfly87 Oh that's a great idea! I love chia seed pudding with almond milk... I'll have to try the pom juice. 
  • @dragonfly87 @JJMNO1616 We buy the chia squeeze packs from costco. I think the brand is Mama Chia. They have different flavors and they're so easy to eat on the way to work.
  • Me: 
    -Prenatal Vitamin
    -5,000 IU Vitamin D daily
    -10,000 IU Vitamin D weekly
    -Vitamin C
    -Iron
    -CoQ10
    -Melatonin
    -Baby Aspirin
    -Potassium
    -Clomid
    -FertilAid
    -Magnesium

(disclaimer: All this is not necessary for most, my body has difficulty absorbing nutrients, so I am deficient in literally everything; don't take what I take.

H:
    -CoQ10
    -Daily vitamin
    -Antibiotic for DNAF
    -Clomid
    -FertilAid
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• I want to echo what others have said to not just take things for the sake of taking them. Trust me, I get it... I wanted to take all the things to just to "fix" whatever it was that was keeping us from getting KU. But like @ladymillil said, most people just really need a PNV. While it may not "hurt" you (that we know of, really) to take most of these supplements, it also doesn't seem smart to take something you don't really need either. 

Now, things like green tea and pomegranate juice and pineapple core - I think you're fine with those kinds of things. 

• @hartmich I 100% agree with what you said. I was one of those that took a daily vitamin and then d,b,e, fish oil, calcium, magnesium, etc etc and my dr told me to stop. 
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited February 2017
    @hartmich: I agree. As tempted as I have been to add things, I have stuck with what my doctor recommended and then added magnesium for sleep issues. Also, I have found natural ways to ensure I get certain nutrients through diet (like chia seeds, more leafy greens, etc). That way, I know I am eating healthy and not over doing it.
  • Ticker warning (I think I'm supposed to warn everyone, right? Honestly I forget it's there most of the time lol)

Currently just taking prenatals from Trader Joe's (same one I took last time around). Will start taking Nordic prenatal fish oil pills soon too. Hubby won't let me spend the money on those just yet. I wanted to take them earlier, but since we aren't actively trying (we aren't preventing either so I'm prepping) he said no. He said once actively trying OR a positive test, whichever comes first, then I can buy those. I took them with my son though and prior to getting pregnant with him and I swear by it's amazing lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LadyMillil I second this. You can absolutely have too much of certain vitamins. The most important thing when taking PNV is the folic acid. If you eat a well balanced diet supplements aren't very necessary, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor for a specific reason. 

I am only taking a regular women's multivitamin, not a PNV. Mostly because I like the flavor of the chewables. It does have a slightly less amount of folic acid, so I make sure to eat lots of leafy greens. I should switch to the PNV, but I've always taken these w/ my other pregnancies. We are currently NTNP until spring/summer, so I might switch as we get closer to TTC again.