April 2016 Moms
Options

Crying to sleep

My DD is 10 months and still cries herself to sleep at every nap and bedtime for 15-30 mins. Tonight she screamed so hard for 40 mins. I checked on her and rubbed her back but nothing calmed her until she eventually fell asleep.

We did sleep training at 5 months and she always falls asleep by herself at each nap and bedtime, but not without crying for at least 15 mins and sometimes up to 30 or more. If we go in to check she just cries more so we leave her and she will eventually fall to sleep. She's always happy and smiling when she wakes up. I just feel terrible letting her cry so much every day but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Re: Crying to sleep

• Options
    Oooh @Kaydub I really feel for you. You just described exactly what our LO does. It's heartbreaking and makes you feel like a crappy parent but for us, we just had to accept that this was her way of winding down. We tried everything to help soothe her but it only made her more upset. We didn't plan to let her CIO but we really had no other choice. I think that's why I get so upset at the parents who look down on the parents who use CIO...no one has a baby and thinks "oh I can't wait until I have to sit outside their door and let them cry themselves to sleep." It's  awful and I'm pretty sure I cried harder than she did! 

Sleep has always been a hard issue with L but she is the healthiest, happiest and smartest little thing. We are hopeful that one day soon she doesn't have to cry herself to sleeps and for naps but for now we just have to accept that this is where we are at. 

I wish I had some better advice but you're defiantly not alone! 
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that sometimes you just have to let them cry. DS is sleep trained and generally goes down very well, but there are times he cries himself to sleep and there is no other way - it's just how he is settling down.  He's never sad when he wakes up though!

It's hard and can make you feel awful, but I believe it's just a phase and will pass. I have been careful to not change our routine even when DS cries before naps - I don't want to start any bad habits/routines that I'll have to work to undo later on. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have a pre-sleep routine? My middle two kids would just lay down and fall asleep quietly, but my first and fourth require a calming period in their room before sleeping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KaydubKaydub member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the replies! I feel better knowing I'm not alone in this. I hope she grows out of it soon! I know she won't be 18 and crying to sleep but I hope it stops before she gets old enough to really fight me on going to bed. 

Kielpinskim we do have a routine before naps and bed. And she's in a sleep sack with white noise and a very dark room. I feel like we're doing everything we can and nothing helps. I'm also really strict about her schedule and feeds, naps and bed are the same time every day.