July 2017 Moms

Ridiculous pregnancy superstitions

2»

Re: Ridiculous pregnancy superstitions

• @fancy22 all of those are extremely similar to the ones I know aswell, and people really do follow them. I think it's a regional thing? I'm from Asia too and I feel like a lot of the neighboring countries have the same thing going. LOL@ allowing to look at your husband... that's something u would get to hear very casually in that part of the world too. All those made me nostalgic! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • fancy22 said:
    @LM1007 I get so much anxiety when my husband does laundry too! But to be fair to him, I'm super particular with sorting laundry and what can and can't be dried.

My mom is Chinese and is filled with them! The most recent ones are:
    1. Don't look at anything ugly, otherwise, the baby will resemble that. She did reassure me that I could look at my husband. Thanks mom.  :D
    2. Don't let anyone touch my shoulder.
    3. Don't raise my arms above my head.
    4. If it's a girl, eat papaya so she will have big boobs.
    5. Don't tell anyone that I'm pregnant until after I give birth, otherwise, I'll risk losing the baby.
    6. After giving birth, don't touch water or shower for a month, otherwise, I won't heal properly. I can't even entertain this one!
    Eat papaya so she'll have big boobs haha, I wish that were true when my mom was pregnant with me! 
  • I always knew of the no funerals during pregnancy superstition but today DH's good friend in China told him that I shouldn't attend the wedding I am a bridesmaid in.  Apparently there is a Chinese superstition that pregnant women shouldn't go to weddings.  
  • @BusyZee Ah, gotta love those blunt, casual statements, especially the ones that are meant as compliments... "Looks like you've gained some weight, you must be doing well"  :p

@mrscate88 Can't even lie, if I find out I'm having girl, I'm definitely doing this just in case (although my husband might hide them from me instead)...  :D

@abmommy15 I haven't heard that one yet! But I have a couple weddings this spring/summer that my mom doesn't know about yet. I'm sure I'll hear about it soon.
    Me: 30 Him: 29
    Dating: 12/27/2004
    Married: 7/27/2013
    TTC: 9/2016
    BFP: 11/24/2016
    EDD: 7/29/2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hahahaha, so what about pregnant brides? I guess that's the ultimate no-no...
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • @fancy22 your mom's superstitions are cracking me up! Why shouldn't anyone touch your shoulder??
  • Reading all these esp the ones about family/work saying they can't do certain things. It appears my job ( I do have a few co workers who look out for me) believes if you work extra hard and tug and pull people who weigh over 300lbs then you will have a great pregnancy. I am a nurse and I am completely exhausted and in so much pain because they gave me the heaviest patients on the unit that I needed to turn both of them tonight, not easy work

TTC since 02/2014
    IUI #1 9/14/19 BFN
    IUI #2 10/13/16 BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lol @ThePecks I hit up Google because I had never heard about the weddings superstition and apparently it has to do with a clash of joys and the fact that a bride and grooms wedding day is a very lucky day for them based on how they select the date.  I'm guessing that with that a pregnant bride would be fine but there is no luck or joy left over for anyone else?