June 2016 Moms

What's everyone reading?

We haven't done one of these in a while so I thought I would check in and see what everyone is reading. Currently I am reading "a storm of swords" book 3 in the game of thrones series and about to start "water for elephants" I also just ordered "the belle of Eden" which was written by a college aged girl I used to work with.

Re: What's everyone reading?

• I loved water for elephants! I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but I haven't picked it up in probably 4-5 months.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I always have to have two books going at once, one light and easy, and one serious. My easy book is called Wild Crush and it's so bad, I love it. My second book was my Valentines gift from DH, Lauren Graham's Talking As Fast As I Can.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • I've just finished "The Burning Wire" by Jeffrey Deaver. I like all of his books thus far
  • Loved Water for Elephants! I usually do audio books since I spent the last few years doing a ton of mandatory reading for grad school and work. Audible is great while I'm stuffing diapers or fixing dinner. I just finished Lilac Girls (WWII historical fiction) and am looking at maybe The Nightengale next. I'm also reading La Ciudad de las Bestias aloud to Cora. Since I'm raising her bilingually I read Spanish books that I want to read out loud while she's playing on the floor. Takes a while to get through them, but fun. 
  • I really need to read the new HP novel, but keep putting it off for some reason. Currently reading The Magicians after watching the first season of the show on Netflix (and reading far too much linguistics for grad school, so I understand @tucrew)
  • How do you all have time to read?!  By the time I get home from work and do all the things for Levi and try to maintain a somewhat decent house, I'm in bed!
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited February 2017
    I really need to read the new HP novel, but keep putting it off for some reason. Currently reading The Magicians after watching the first season of the show on Netflix (and reading far too much linguistics for grad school, so I understand tucrew) 
    The screen play isn't as good as the books, which is partly why I haven't bothered to pick it back up.
  • How do you all have time to read?!  By the time I get home from work and do all the things for Levi and try to maintain a somewhat decent house, I'm in bed!
    I'm home and haven't finished a book since Damien was born. I was always reading book after book but can't bring myself to do it right now. 
    I read on my lunch break, or while I'm nursing if Miles lets me. Sometimes when I'm up with him in the middle of the night. It's not often and the reason why a crappy teen novel has taken me 5 weeks to get through
    Thankfully I only work 2-3 days a week but I do my reading while my kids are taking a nap, and some on the weekends when my husband is home. 
  • I'm currently reading Pioneer Girl, the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Prior to that, I was reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood which took me over a year to finish during my pregnancy and the first few months pp. I've been too tired the last few weeks to stay up and read after the boys are in bed, but I try to read during nap times.
    Because my son is 8 months old and still only naps when physically attached to my boob. Yeah, I know it's a problem, and I'm a complete failure at this whole teaching to self soothe thing, but so far it really works for me in that I get guaranteed reading time (way more enjoyable than cleaning lol). 
  • I have been reading the cheesey romance/shifter books or the first book of The librarians because I adore the tv show/movies! I have been reading them slowly right before I zonk out  at night.
  • lyoash31 said:
    I'm currently reading Pioneer Girl, the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Prior to that, I was reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood which took me over a year to finish during my pregnancy and the first few months pp. I've been too tired the last few weeks to stay up and read after the boys are in bed, but I try to read during nap times.
    I was actually reading Outlander during September/October 2015 and I would always fall asleep within 15 minutes of picking up the book. It was so interesting, why was I falling asleep on it at 8:30?! And then I got my BFP. Everything made more sense after that and I finally finished the book after about 4 months
  • I can read during my commute and pumping breaks, but it's definitely taking me so much longer to get through books than before.  I love mystery/thriller so I just read a GREAT book called Orphan X.  Makes me think of the Bourne series a bit, definitely hard to put down.  Currently reading Ghettoside, and also on my list is Hillbilly Elegy.
  • lyoash31 said:
    I'm currently reading Pioneer Girl, the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Prior to that, I was reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood which took me over a year to finish during my pregnancy and the first few months pp. I've been too tired the last few weeks to stay up and read after the boys are in bed, but I try to read during nap times.
    I loved all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was a kid. I'll have to look into that one. Those books got me interested in sewing/knitting/gardening.
  • meggyme said:
    lyoash31 said:
    I loved all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was a kid. I'll have to look into that one. Those books got me interested in sewing/knitting/gardening.
    Ironically enough, I was thinking about Laura ingalls wilder as I was driving home from work, and then I open this up lol!
  • @meggyme The annotations are very in depth, so it makes for slow reading, but it's fascinating to find out what parts of her novels were taken from her real life events. I, too, loved her books, and they inspired me to learn to sew. Once I'm done reading Pioneer Girl, I have West from Home to read. That's a collection of her letters. Both were Christmas gifts this year.
    Because my son is 8 months old and still only naps when physically attached to my boob. Yeah, I know it's a problem, and I'm a complete failure at this whole teaching to self soothe thing, but so far it really works for me in that I get guaranteed reading time (way more enjoyable than cleaning lol). 
    Don't feel bad- Savannah still only naps longer than 20 minutes if I'm holding her or napping with her. And she doesn't self soothe either- she sleeps on my lap for 29 minutes so I know she's really out before I put her to bed for the night.

Apparently she naps at daycare and goes down awake though?

Oh and @StayingFocused, I haven't read a book since I had her either.

Mom of the year right here!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I also loved Water for Elephants.  I am currently listening to Inferno by Dan Brown.  I am just a couple chapters in and so far so good.  I just finished Slaughterhouse Five.  That was definitely interesting. Previous to that I listened to Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.  Very uplifting for a working mom and honestly for sahm too.  Maybe a little preachy in parts, but overall good.  As you can tell I listen to all my books through audible.  I spend about 90 in the car everyday and I listen when I get ready in the morning.  I am pretty sure if I actually picked up a book to read I would immediately fall asleep on top of it.
  • meggyme said:
    I loved water for elephants! I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but I haven't picked it up in probably 4-5 months.
    My mom just told me that they are apparently making this into a movie!
  • Another book that is my go-to recommendation is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.  It's such a beautifully written book. It's about a leper colony on an island in Hawaii in the early 1900s (which is true, everything else is fiction).
  • I'm currently reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman.  Pretty funny but I'm bad about reading.  I normally do it before bed but Preston has been going to bed late lately cause of being sick that by the time I'm done with everything, it's my bedtime and I'm beat.  I go to bed around 9