Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Levels drop even with TONS of progesterone

My husband and I have been actively ttc for over a year now, with several recurrent miscarriages. Today, I have just found out that I am miscarrying, again.

This time we made it further than we ever have with any of the previous pregnancies (4 weeks 3 days) by adding DIM throughout my entire cycle to regulate excess estrogen, and high doses of progesterone (suppositories + oil taken sublingually & on skin). Each and every one of my previous pregnancies has ended around the date of my expected period. If not the day of, a day or two later (I started spotting with this pregnancy on 16dpo and then again on 18dpo, tests getting fainter until negative on 18dpo). I took extra DIM & over 1,000mg of progesterone during the tww and after, yet my levels still began to drop at about 13dpo (adding extra progesterone only stopped the spotting on 16dpo for a day and a half). I could feel the babies starting to detach, as I always do right before a miscarriage. I have tried everything, from supplements to prescription progesterone, and yet my body does not want to give up having periods. 

Has anyone else had this issue where their "time of the month" is so relentless, that even high doses of progesterone and regulated estrogen doesn't stop it from coming (and lowering levels on its way)? Can anyone offer advice?

Re: Levels drop even with TONS of progesterone

• Options
    I am sorry for your losses.

All I know is what I've been told by doctors; that progesterone can help support a viable pregnancy, but it is not strong enough to support a non-viable one. With non-viable pregnancies, progesterone will drop no matter how much prescription or OTC progesterone you throw at it.
  • Options
    tw2595tw2595 member
    edited February 2017
    I am sorry for your losses.

All I know is what I've been told by doctors; that progesterone can help support a viable pregnancy, but it is not strong enough to support a non-viable one. With non-viable pregnancies, progesterone will drop no matter how much prescription or OTC progesterone you throw at it.
    I've heard the same thing. I just don't understand how every single one of my previous pregnancies could have been non-viable this entire year. This pregnancy felt more "sticky" than the others, even going past the date of my period without any spotting, for the very first time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had a 9w2d with 1 month TTC, a 5w5d loss with 4 months TTC, and a 4w6d loss with 5 months TTC, all in 2 years. Pregnancies were getting further apart and shorter until this last one (a cornual ectopic terminated at 7w5d that was otherwise developing perfectly). It was also the first time I tried progesterone, despite my doc taking a very ambivalent "well, it won't hurt" stance.

No answers from my blood tests, only a saline infused sonography to go, doc thinks we won't find answers from that. Her theory is that I have "old" eggs and PGD + IVF is the only fix. I just turned 36.

My personal theory for my own losses considering the circumstances of the recent loss, is stress. Mine was TTC driven after a traumatic first loss, his from his job. We conceived our cornual by forgetting protection (prep for the next month's SIS) ONCE at O-2. This after 4-5 month stretches of HIO 1-2x every fertile day which makes me so... angry. Hubby also switched to a far less stressful job (previously stress was so bad he had diarrhea every day for 5 years, which ceased within a week of the switch), before his morphology was at a borderline barely acceptable 4%. I'd be interested to see how his numbers have changed with the new job and an additional SA.