August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

Saw this on some of the other BMBs and thought this might be a good place to start asking our questions as some of us may be starting to buy stuff or starting our registries.

I'll start:
infant or convertible car seat? I know some people are saying the infant car seat is worth having.
Can I get by with just a jogging stroller? My mom said she used her jogging stroller primarily, but wanted to hear other thoughts.
should I get a bassinet?
must haves?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• Kathryn0903Kathryn0903 member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks guys!
    @SouthernMama15 love the idea of the lingerie bag. Never would have thought of that!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the idea of this thread! It will be so helpful!

My question is, what are your opinions of Rock n Play vs. traditional bassinet for pre-crib sleeping? I live in an apt. so initially I thought the rock n play would be great (I've heard lots of great things for it) especially because it's foldable and doesn't take much space. But then today my SIL said that wouldn't be a good idea because some babies have trouble transitioning from sleeping at an incline to flat sleeping in a crib.
  • @LadyDi711 check out the Tiny Love 3 in 1. It's like a rock n play but it goes flat. 
  • Thanks @LivLew for the tip! The tiny love seems low to ground to see the baby from bed but definitely worth checking out at BRU to see in person
  • @Kathryn0903 Definitely get the infant seat.  The convenience of not having to transfer a sleeping baby into or out of the car is totally worth it.

I love my jogging stroller, but found it heavy and kind of bulky to use for quick trips/errands. I liked having the snap 'n go while the baby is in the infant car seat again because of the convenience of not disturbing the baby when getting into or out of the car.

We tried to use the pack and play as a bassinet, but both of my kids hated it.  The rock and play was useful with DS2.  I wish it had been around with DS1.

All babies are different, but the swing was a must have for us.  The bouncer was helpful too because it was portable and I could keep an eye on the baby while getting ready or taking care of something in another room.  Also a carrier was very helpful.  I hated the Baby Bjorn because it hurt my back once DS1 was about 4 months old.  I had a Beco and Boba G3 that were great for wearing a newborn through toddler.  
  • As far as rock n play goes, each baby is different. But the rock n play was definitely my #1 item for my daughter. She had terrible reflux and it was a LIFESAVER. I wouldn't have slept one wink if I didn't have that. It's the only place she would allow me to lay her down. And it's SO portable!
  • LadyDi711 said:
    I love the idea of this thread! It will be so helpful!

My question is, what are your opinions of Rock n Play vs. traditional bassinet for pre-crib sleeping? I live in an apt. so initially I thought the rock n play would be great (I've heard lots of great things for it) especially because it's foldable and doesn't take much space. But then today my SIL said that wouldn't be a good idea because some babies have trouble transitioning from sleeping at an incline to flat sleeping in a crib.
    I used this for my daughter until she was too big ~5months. These things are amazing. I got two this time around. One for our room and one for downstairs. 

My my daughter had no issues transitioning to crib. 
  • @LadyDi711 - I used a regular Pack n Play after SO MUCH deliberation between that and a Rock n Play for DD. We had a Pack n Play with the bassinet insert for when she was tiny tiny, and then we just took that out and let her sleep in the pack n play until she was about 8-9 months old. 

That being said, I do know lots of people who use the Rock n Play, I just didn't want to run into any transitioning issues, especially since I kept her in my room for so long.

I love the mesh bag idea, @SouthernMama15! Thanks for posting that. I lose socks constantly.

My vote for a carrier is the ErgoBaby 4G with the infant insert to start, and then just regular after. I also loved the Moby, but my confidence at first wasn't there so the Ergo helped :).

Also, I swear by buttoned sleepers when they're tiny, so that nighttime diaper changes don't mean undressing the baby completely (just unsnap from the waist down), but for toddler-age, zipper all the way!
  • If you live in a cold climate I recommend an infant seat instead of convertible. Bulky winter gear is not allowed in car seats, and it's so much easier to buckle baby in inside, tuck a warm blanket around him or use a shower cap style cover, and then carry him out to the car.

I know people who love the rock and play but we were happy with the pack and play. It has a much longer lifespan and we used it at the cottage and travelling until our kids were almost 2. If you have room for both then sure try both, but if you're short on space and travel then you may get more use from the pack and play.

It depends what you use your stroller for. Walks around the neighbourhood and trips to the zoo, you're probably fine with the jogging stroller. It'll be a total PITA at the mall, though. I live in a city and take public transit sometimes so a smaller stroller was a must for me as well. I also recommend the snap and go. Easy to find on BST sites and so convenient.

My kids basically live in wraps/carriers the first few months. Especially a must have if you are lucky enough to have a reflux baby. I had a Moby and a Beco but there are several good ones. Again easy to find good quality carriers on BST sites for half the price.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • We didn't do the rock and play and I'm glad we didn't. DS was so big, he would have definitely outgrown it super quickly. 

Glad to tell ya'll about the mesh bag tip. My mom takes a laundry basket with that and baby detergent to every baby shower she goes to. 
  • I think I posted this in another baby gear thread but Lucies List was so helpful for me finding the right baby gear for DS1. As far as the rock and play goes that thing was a life saver! I loved that I could carry it from room to room if needed. Something you can't do with a pack and play without breaking it down. 
  • Thanks for all of your mom-knowledge! I think I'm going to go for the rock n play because of space constraints but if it doesn't work for my LO, I'll try something else after. 
  • Love this thread!! What about tubs?? There are so many different options out there, some for just infants in the sink, some grow with baby....where to start?!!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ColoradoHikerColoradoHiker member
    edited February 2017
    @Kathryn0903 The infant seat is totally worth having.  I know a bunch of moms who also would just babywear when they went places, but for me the convenience of popping the car seat into the stroller frame (we lived in a rowhome and needed all the space we could get, not to mention three flights of stairs) was worth it.  Sleeping babies make life easier when you're trying to get errands done.  Plus, if you have a small car, the convertible seat will leave you sitting at a ninety degree angle in the passenger seat until you turn the kiddo forward facing.  

Also, jogging strollers aren't recommended for babies under a certain age due to lack of head control.  I think it was generally 6-8m somewhere.  Most of the infant strollers have the padding to help keep their heads in place.
    ETA-  Just for clarification, I realize you may not intend to jog with a newborn, but a lot of the jogging strollers lack the head padding that the regular strollers have.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kathryn0903 If you are planning to just put baby in a stroller then a jogging one wont work, but if there is an attachment and you get an infant seat, you can use the infant seat attached to the stroller. I am planning to get the Baby Jogger City Mini GT (which isnt a jogging one, but looks like one, has 3 wheels), and we will either get the param (if someone else buys it for us HA), or just use the infant seat with the adaptor.  We wont be able to put baby just in the stroller until (not 100% sure on this) at least 6 months, but maybe longer.  I would go to Lucies List (like a PP said) and read up on stuff.  Thats what I have been doing and I subscribed to the newsletter as well.  I think it will be super helpful in buying what is needed. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • I loved our infant carrier car seat.

I second the Tiny Love 3 in 1!

The swing was also wonderful but the stupid long legs and bulkiness of it have me kind of dreading bringing it out.

Have y'all heard about this mattress thing you can attach to a rocker? The Babocush newborn comfort cushion. It looks amazing! My son had reflux and the first few months were a nightmare. I'm really considering trying this to give me a little break every now and then from holding this new baby 24/7 like I had to do with DS. (It's only for short breaks, baby should be moved if hebor she falls asleep)
  • @Jmccabe12210 I totally agree with using Lucie's List. Great recommendations for all things baby!!
  • morgy_bee said:
    LadyDi711 said:
    I love the idea of this thread! It will be so helpful!

I used this for my daughter until she was too big ~5months. These things are amazing. I got two this time around. One for our room and one for downstairs. 

My my daughter had no issues transitioning to crib. 
    Same here 
  • I also think a ring sling or some sort of baby carrier is a must-have. I preferred the ring sling because it was so easy to use and put in a diaper bag. It's the only way I could get chores done, I could even wear DD and vacuum at the same time when she was sleeping. 
    Now im just sad I lent it out and never got it back :( I'll have to get a new one! 
  • @lsp87 that babocush thing looks AMAZING. Post if you get it! I'm super intrigued. 

We got a dockatot for DS. I'm absolutely getting one for this baby. DS didn't sleep thru the night til 10 mos. At that time we were desperate for anything to work. This did it within a week. We got the bigger size for him and he still uses it in his crib at 17 mos. I am getting the smaller deluxe size for the baby and then will use the deluxe for the baby when they are big enough and big bro is in his big big bed. Highly recommend the dockatot. Life changing for us. 
  • edited February 2017
    Ok, here goes... I prefer an infant "bucket" seat for the first year as it's easier to get baby in and out of the car (especially when they're sleeping), and it provides them a seat at restaurants, etc. We use a travel system, and the bucket car seat just clicks right onto the stroller. 

With that being said, I love my jogging stroller (the kind with 3 tires) & use it exclusively once baby has transitioned to a convertible car seat. It may not be this way with all joggers, but mine has a minimum weight requirement & baby needs to be able to sit up before it's safe for use.

Re the Rock N Play, while it's convenient for space, it's not safe for baby to sleep in for extended periods (and especially overnight). I love mine, but only used it during the day & for supervised naps.  Baby is supposed to be on flat, firm surface to sleep. A Pack n Play with a bassinet feature is much safer. There are a bunch of different styles & features. Ours has a fold away changer that is perfect for MOTN diaper changes. 

So those are my must haves (travel system, convertible seat, jogging stroller, RNP, PNP), also a boppy or good nursing Pillow for BF'ers, muslin swaddle blankets, baby bath tub. @NatSprat0703 I am thinking about going with the Blooming Baby Bath this time instead of a traditional tub.

Swings & bouncers are nice, but not necessary IMO. 

eta words
  • Definitely get a travel system. The infant seat is a MUST! I used the Rock n Play for DS until 3 months, then a bassinet until 6ish months then the pack n play. He didn't sleep in his crib accept for maybe a nap or two. It was total FTM and I didn't want him to not sleep in my room. I will likely do a Rock N Play for naps/nights if he has reflux like DS and I'm getting a co sleeper this time around. SO works out of town M-F so this time around it's pure convenience to have baby in the same room as me. 
  • Are the pack and plays with the changer and napper worth the extra cost? I can't see myself using it past 3 months. 

When did you start using a high chair to feed your baby? Does anyone have the stokke or boon flair? Both of these convert to a toddler and preschool age chair which might be nice but if we have a 2nd child within a few years our first would need a new chair or booster. Should I even bother splurging on a highchair? 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow we didn't have any of the extra features on our mini pack and play. He got changed on the changing mat on his dresser, on our bed, the couch, the floor, wherever. 

When we started giving cereal and solids, one of us would hold him and the other would feed, sometimes we also used the bumbo.  However, around 6 months we started using the highchair regularly.  At 20 months, we still use it some, he likes to sit in it and watch me cook or do dishes sometimes.  Also, once they start wanting to learn to feed themselves, by hand and with forks and spoons, you'll definitely want a high chair.
  • @BlackNYellow it really depends on your situation.  DS slept at night exclusively in his crib, but during the day (while still young and he slept through everything) he slept in the pack n play napper so I could keep an eye on him while doing chores or resting.  Ours only had the napper/ changer thing, none of the other stuff.  We still use the PnP bc we travel a lot, and he sleeps in it while my in-laws watch him during the day.  There is also a weight limit fote the napper and the higher setting for the mat as well.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Are the pack and plays with the changer and napper worth the extra cost? I can't see myself using it past 3 months. 

When did you start using a high chair to feed your baby? Does anyone have the stokke or boon flair? Both of these convert to a toddler and preschool age chair which might be nice but if we have a 2nd child within a few years our first would need a new chair or booster. Should I even bother splurging on a highchair? 
    @BlackNYellow  Our PNP had the changer, but not a napper.  I think it was totally worth it for those first 3 months (you change diapers the most frequently during the first few months).  We keep ours in our bedroom, so when baby wakes up it's convenient to change & then fed w/o having to leave the bedroom. We have a RNP too, so it wasn't necessary for us to have the napper.  

We start using the highchair around 5-6 months when we start baby food.  We used our FP Sit Me Up Seat for the first month or so before our DD could sit up unassisted.  Babies should be able to sit before using a highchair.  I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned, but for a cheap alternative, I recommend the Cosco fold-away highchair that runs about $35 (great for travel too).  
  • For high chair we got the grace sous chef 5 in 1 system and loved it. There is a vibrating newborn recliner that we used so much in the beginning. I could put DS in it in the kitchen when I was cooking or cleaning and he was at counter height. He could see everything I was doing and it kept him happy. When we started solids at
    6 mos we took that part off and started using the actual highchair option. MIL bought the same system because she loved ours so much. You can also remove the nighchair part and use it as a booster but we ended up buying a different booster. Looking forward to using the newborn recliner part again for this babe. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Sous-Chef-High-Chair-Davis/52375738?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228046411510&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=102548339432&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-257572307937&wl5=9016342&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=52375738&wl13=&veh=sem
  • @pinkprincesspiper it was so helpful when Judah was a newborn. I put it on my registry thinking I'd use my completion coupon for it and Justin's aunt actually bought it! Effing score!! Lol 

so does Princess P get what's happening yet? 
  • @NatSprat0703 I'm curious about baths too, especially since we don't have a bathtub in our place.
  • Hey gals, trying to decide between strollers: 1) Baby Jogger City Mini OR 2) BOB Revolution Flex.

Thoughts between the two? We both have smaller cars (will mainly be in an '08 Honda Civic) and I love storage options. Also would love to hang my diaper bag off the handle, but don't know if that's okay on any stroller? Also don't want something super heavy, and love the one-hand fold.

We plan on going with the Chicco KeyFit car seat, if that matters. 
  • Anyone have a Honda Element? SO has had one forever and we like it for its carrying capacity but I think it's going to be hard for RF car seats. Actually, I think figuring out what works for that car is going to dictate what we use in my car and what stroller is compatible. 
  • @pinkprincesspiper it was so helpful when Judah was a newborn. I put it on my registry thinking I'd use my completion coupon for it and Justin's aunt actually bought it! Effing score!! Lol 

so does Princess P get what's happening yet? 
    She's totally oblivious! 
  • @mrsmatt1212 I've been reading all about strollers right now too. We live in the city so I definitely want something that can take city streets and can fold easily. I have seen a lot of rave reviews about the City Mini, but then I just found the Britax B-Agile which sounds like its the City Mini's copycat with some better changes. I definitely want to check both out side by side in a store to get a feel for them.
  • @BlackNYellow I first put my kids in the high chair when they could sit unassisted, but just so they could socialize at the table (we didn't do solids until 6ish months). We had the Fisher Price high chair that straps to a regular chair. I have always liked the look of the Stokke chair but couldn't get over the price. We are probably going with the Ikea high chair this time. Everyone seems to love it, it's 20$, and super easy to wipe down.

VOTE on my Name List
  • For those looking at jogging style strollers I have the bumbleride indie and love it. You can buy the bassinet portion or the regular seat will actually fold flat and the foot up to create a muff so you can use it without an infant seat almost right away. I have an older model so I did not need a car seat adapter and my seat actually clipped in even though it was not the same brand. Also find a place that will let you test fit car seats in your vehicle as sizes are deceiving. 
    I loved having the bucket even though we only used it for six months for the ease of going places and having the baby stay asleep. 

• lyse01 said:
    Anyone have a Honda Element? SO has had one forever and we like it for its carrying capacity but I think it's going to be hard for RF car seats. Actually, I think figuring out what works for that car is going to dictate what we use in my car and what stroller is compatible. 
    For any car seat questions I highly recommend the FB group Car Seats for the Littles. The techs there know everything and have encyclopedic knowledge of the dimensions of all seats and which seats will work well in which cars. If you post there and tell them what vehicle you have and your budget (& usually age/height/weight of child, although in this case you obviously wouldn't know that) they will give you suggestions.

VOTE on my Name List
  • I used the PnP, but my son hated it and only slept one time in there as an infant.  He slept in a swing (desperate times) for a couple months and then I propped his mattress so he could stay at an incline. He had horrible reflux and couldn't lay flat.  Once he outgrew that, it was an easy transition to flat again because I used a rolled up blanket under the mattress and would unroll it a little bit every couple days. I am definitely buying two RnPs this time around and will probably try the armsreach cosleeper. 

Infant carriers are so great for convenience. I never knew what it was like to have a sleeping baby because turning off the ignition would wake him up (still does).  But especially when coming in with groceries, it was nice to carry the seat in and set him down so I could run in the groceries. 

I'm using a jogging stroller this time because I hate all the regular double strollers with two infant carriers attached. I felt like I would be forced to pick a favorite every time we used them.  The one I got lays completely flat and converts to bassinet conditions so I can use it from day one. It's the bumbleride, if you're interested. I found it used on CL and will order new cloth seats off their website. 

Baths are kind of all the same. I'd avoid the large flower sponges because I can't imagine the mold that must grow in those things. Whatever you decide, take into account ease of cleaning poop, because you will wind up doing that at least once. Ours had a mesh sling that I could wash easily. 

My absolute necessity was a bouncer seat in my bathroom.  My kid was a sleeping nightmare so the only way I was able to shower was to pop him in that chair. I'll be using the RnP for the same purpose this time around. 

Oh and highchairs, we used the fisher price space saver which I loved.  We need our chairs this time so I'll be getting regular highchairs. 
  • If you're going to get a swing or bouncer, I highly recommend this one.  The seat can be removed from the swing stand and used as a bouncer. It was great, I would detach it and put DS in it in the doorway to the bathroom while I showered. The swing itself plugs in, but you can put batteries in the seat. We got ours at Buy Buy Baby and got the matching mini pack and play and high chair.
    https://www.target.com/p/graco-duetconnect-swing-and-bouncer-manor/-/A-15089603?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9010825&gclid=Cj0KEQiA88TFBRDYrOPKuvfY2pIBEiQA97Z8MZxDlLQeUek01LlikE5Wyc2h_Q6Zkfv88SjHTIOBEP0aAmxN8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds