Infertility

Transfer tomorrow - what to expect

I am scheduled for my transfer tomorrow, this is my third IVF cycle but 1st transfer. Do you have any tips or just general feedback on what to expect?

To be honest, I'm more nervous about having a full bladder while all of this is going on. I'm so nervous I'm going to pee on the doctor... eek

IVF#1 Sep 2016 (4 eggs retrieved, 2 matured, 0 transferred due to DNA breakdown)
IVF#2 Nov 2016:  Estrogen &  Ganirelix.   Stimming: Loprun, Follistim, Menopur. (7 eggs retrieved. 3 matured. 0 transferred due to PGD results)

IVF#3 Feb 2017: Estrogen priming. Menopur, Follistim and HGH

Re: Transfer tomorrow - what to expect

• Yay for your transfer tomorrow! I have to say that the bladder and not letting myself pee on the doctor was the most difficult part as well. Your bladder is already full when you go in, and then they use different tools that put pressure on it which adds to it. I warned my doc that i might pee on him, and he said it wouldn't be the first time. :D The transfer itself was very quick, lasted maybe 5 minutes. They let me watch the entire process on the screen and it was pretty amazing. I know every clinic is different, but they wanted me to immediately pee afterwards, and then lay down for about 10 minutes. No bed rest, but just take it easy the rest of the day and hang out around the house. It was a pretty relaxing experience besides the bladder. I am so excited for you and crossing my fingers for you tomorrow!
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The full bladder thing was nerve racking for me too! But it ended up not being so bad. I just made sure to sip my 20 oz bottle of water very slowly over the course of the hour leading up to my transfer. I finished it about 5 minutes before my appointment time. During the transfer, I felt like I had to pee but it was far from an emergency. It did suck having the nurse push on my bladder with the ultrasound but I managed. The actual transfer part was easy peasy. Good luck!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Loading the player...
  • The full bladder was hard for me too but I really tried to not think about it much! I sipped my water too so it would start to fill & then 30 minutes before finished the amount they asked me to drink. For my trial run I didn't drink enough so I went a little overboard for my transfer on Sunday but never felt like I was going to pee my pants :) good luck with your transfer!
  • Full bladder was less awful then I thought. But my doctor only had me do 24 oz so that really isn't that much. I took the Valium and was totally relaxed. No pain. I did acupuncture after and actually fell asleep. 

You are are going to do great!  My biggest recommendation is to do a crockpot dinner or have someone prepare it for you. It was so nice to come home and have a hot homemade meal with no effort after transfer :) 
  • My clinic recommended drinking that amount over several hours. I started drinking about 2 hours prior to transfer and I had no issues with the bladder. I actually didn't even pee until
    we got home from breakfast after! I also took a Valium an hour before, glad I did just to help ease the nerves. It was quick, a little more uncomfortable than a pap because she has a little trouble with my cervix not wanting to open. Dh go to go on with me. I relaxed on the couch the rest of the day. Dh got us dinner and got me drinks the rest of the day. Easy peasey! Good luck tomorrow! 
  • haha
    I am not that close to my ET yet but I am already nervous in before haha
    Hope everything went fine? How are you doing? :)
    xx
    @brela11  but is it ok to take Valium? Is that safe?
  • natalie4oscarnatalie4oscar member
    edited February 2017
    @gwinnyblack it wasn't too bad, don't be nervous. My bladder felt a little full on the waiting room and I was nervous when the Dr was running a little
    late, but once I was in and feet up in the stirrups it kind of took the weight of my bladder a bit.

My doc and nurse were so sweet and kept me entertained and distracted through the process. During my transfer the embryos didn't shoot out the first time, so they had to clean them back in the lab and do a reinsert. Even with that I didn't race off to pee afterwards, yes I was nervous I might pee them out, despite my doctor and nurse giggles  

IVF#1 Sep 2016 (4 eggs retrieved, 2 matured, 0 transferred due to DNA breakdown)
    IVF#2 Nov 2016:  Estrogen &  Ganirelix.   Stimming: Loprun, Follistim, Menopur. (7 eggs retrieved. 3 matured. 0 transferred due to PGD results)

IVF#3 Feb 2017: Estrogen priming. Menopur, Follistim and HGH

• Glad it went well. Good luck with the TWW
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• haha
    I am not that close to my ET yet but I am already nervous in before haha
    Hope everything went fine? How are you doing? :)
    xx
    @brela11  but is it ok to take Valium? Is that safe?
    Yup standard practice at many places. I thought everyone did it. Haha most of the ivf girls I know have. 
  • Yes, my clinic gives valium for transfer too!  Between that and being put under for retrieval it's not as bad as I originally expected
    Me: 33, DH: 40
    July 2016: IVF #1 (froze embryos)
    Aug. 2016: Hysteroscopy to remove a few polyps & Laparoscopy
    Oct. 2016: FET #1 BFN
    Nov. 2016: FET #2 BFP (ended in CP)
    March 2017: IVF #2 Fresh Transfer of 2 Blasts = BFP!!! (EDD: 11/27/17)
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  
    Back to try for Baby #2 :)

• @natalie4oscar
    well, thank you for your report  :D I have only started stimming and soon I will be having my own ET, I hope it will be as smooth as your was!
    I am not that worried right now! Hope you are doing well these days it is soon your 14dpo! Good luck!!!! 

• That's such awesome news, @natalie4oscar!!! I hope everything is fantastic at the ultrasound :)
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Congratulations!!!!  Fx for h&h 9 monrhs :)
  • oh!! Amazing! Congrats hun!  :)