May 2017 Moms

Baby Name Choices & Discussion!

Re: Baby Name Choices & Discussion!

• @saric83 I like Eliza and Celestine (nn Celeste?) the best. I think if you go with a longer FN, a shorter MN sounds cleaner (like Celestine Ann).

@RainyDays86 I haven't seen Stranger Things but you've piqued my interest...

@jayandaplus I really like both for MN choices but agree with saric83 that River might be too much nature. I know at least two kiddos with River as their FN and it isn't weird at all. Totally fits them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @saric83: I think Celestine is really pretty, and special, and uniquely lovely! It conjures nice images for me. Zoey is tricky, I'm not sure I'd be able to explain to a child (in just the right way) that she was named after an animal, even if it were a beloved special pet! If you can frame it just right, I'm sure you'd not have a problem with having that convo, but I agree with your stance of MN only. :)

@jayandaplus: Curious: how is Edel pronounced as a single syllable? I'm just not hearing it right.  ;)  I like the meaning behind it, and MN spots are a great place to show some creativity. River for a middle is a solid choice too! Either would be great!
  • Loading the player...
  • @saric83 I like Eliza. I also like Celestine, but it took me a few times reading that to realize it wasn't Celeste. I've never heard the longer version.

@jayandaplus I tend to agree with a few others that with a nature-like last name, River might be overkill as a middle name. However, I think middle names are where you can do whatever the heck you want, so you guys do you!
  • BabyMC517BabyMC517 member
    edited February 2017
    @RainyDays86 I'm having a similar situation with DH. We have 2 first names narrowed down (at the moment) and the middle is what he wanted as a first but I just couldn't see that as a first name. So, we've been trying to use each first name to see which we like better and we are on opposites! haha we used the statement/question doc that was posted a while ago and it sort of helped except it made DH not like the nickname for one of the names. Ugh...naming boys is hard! If we were having a girl it would have been a done deal! 

Names:

Oliver Tyberius (I like this and have from the beginning...I called him Ollie yesterday morning when I was getting up)
    Griffin Tyberius (H likes this but doesn't like Griff and is sort of okay with Fin)

Too many decisions!! 

@saric83  I like Eliza, too! Super cute! 

@mdlorenz stranger things is awesome! Definitely check it out! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @RainyDays86 I'm in a similar boat. The boy name that we have picked isn't my favorite but it's MH. I like the nn, but don't like the formal version. Since it is MH's grandpa's name, I am letting him have this one. It's not a huge deal for me since the kiddo will probably go by his nn most of the time anyway. 
  • @SKZW I'm not sure how to show phonetically but it's like "aid"-ull. Does that make any sense?

Thanks for all of input guys!!
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited February 2017
    @SKZW I'm not sure how to show phonetically but it's like "aid"-ull. Does that make any sense?

Thanks for all of input guys!!
    I assumed like the singer Adele, I foresee many mispronunciations in the future, which always sways my decision away from a name. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @0408Bear I like Clara better with Lucy. Also, jealous you get Lucy...DH vetoed that one pretty quick  :'( but maybe I'll sneak it on the list like I did with Alice  B)
    @saric83 Another vote for Eliza Zoey
    @RainyDays86 I am in the same boat as you with not completely liking DH's choice (Desmond), so I figured if he won, I would end up calling baby Desi and try to refer to baby as one of those names when I'm feeling boyish.
    @jayandaplus I like Edel because you both came up with it. I wasn't 100% sure how to pronounce it, but I was pretty close. Since it's a MN I wouldn't be overly concerned with people not being able to pronounce it as much as if it were a first name.
  • @0408Bear I think both options sound great! I actually know a set of twins named Cora and Lucy, and it's an adorable combination :)
  • mdlorenz said:
    I'm feeling the pressure to narrow down our name choices since the littles will likely be out in the next week & a half... 

DH likes different but not made up names. He's gotten discouraged lately by how popular a few of our potentials are. I could really care less since we thought we were so clever naming DD Eleanor and there are a zillion of them now, including a girl the same age right across the street! 

Short lists (mine) are:
    Claire Rose/Rowan
        We both like Claire, which has a little family meaning. The recent posts about Rowen/Rowan totally make me want to include it as a nn since DH vetoed it as a first name. 
    Charlotte Ada
        "Lottie" and Ada (short for Augusta) are both family names. DH is bummed that Charlotte is so popular though. 
    Maeve Rowan
        Maeve is the most accessible Scandinavian name out of all my suggestions according to DH. But our last name starts with M and I'm not a huge fan of alliteration. 

Owen Thomas/Henry
    Theo(dore) Patrick
    William Thomas/Henry
         None of the first names are in the family except William, but the middle names are. I really really struggle with boy names. 
    My daughters name is Charlotte Adah! I also love Maeve for a girl. If we were having a boy, he would have been William Henry (both family names)- great taste :smile:
  • So after a whole lot of discussion, I got my husband to give me a couple names that we can both semi agree on. I'm not totally sold, but for now they are at the top of our list. Do you like Wyatt or Emmett better? Or neither?Be honest! Middle name for either would probably be David. Our toddler is Sawyer so I also want to make sure we go with something not super traditional. Thanks in advance!
  • livin541 said:
    So after a whole lot of discussion, I got my husband to give me a couple names that we can both semi agree on. I'm not totally sold, but for now they are at the top of our list. Do you like Wyatt or Emmett better? Or neither?Be honest! Middle name for either would probably be David. Our toddler is Sawyer so I also want to make sure we go with something not super traditional. Thanks in advance!
    I like Wyatt better.

Also, I love the name Sawyer but DH doesn't. If it were up to me though one of our boys would've been a Sawyer. Probably my top boy name so good choice! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @livin541 I like both of those names. I might lean toward Emmett with Sawyer, only because Sawyer and Wyatt both have "wy" in them. But that's not really an actual reason to avoid the name.
  • @livin541, those are both nice names, but I give the edge to Emmett. I like uncommon names with a lot of flexibility in personality and I think Emmett hits those notes. It could be because I know a child named Wyatt and his family fits a very specific persona...living on a farm, pics of the kids in cowboy boots from birth, etc...nothing wrong with that, it's just the image that pops into my head when I hear Wyatt. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @living541 I really like both of those choices as well!  I think I slightly prefer Wyatt but I go back and forth.  Both great choices!
  • Thanks for weighing in everyone. I think I'm having a hard time choosing between the two because I have 2 or 3 others that I prefer. Sometimes compromise is hard! 

I think I give the slight edge to Emmett, because I agree that Wyatt can sound a little "country" to me, and it's also usually top 20. I also really like Elliot, maybe I can get hubby on board with adding that to the list...
  • @livin541 I prefer Wyatt as it was a top name choice for us, but is a tad too popular in our circle. We are also a little bit country, so it would work for us. 
  • So after all of this weekend's happenings, MH has given me the ok to use my #1 boy name that he wasn't in love with. I'm torn, because I love the name but I feel like if I name our potential son this name that it will always be a reminder of what happened. Thoughts? 
  • @achays11 Such a dilemma! I wish I had advice but that's such a toughie!
  • @livin541 I'm all up on the name Emmett. I've never liked Wyatt though, sooo...

@achays11 I would keep debating the two names and keep thinking about them until baby came just so I didn't feel guilty going straight to my name.
  • @livin541 Emmett was originally one of my top choices. DH vetoed it though because our last name starts with a T, and he was worried that when saying his first and last name together it would sound like we named him Emma. I was really bummed.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • The names we are leaning toward so far... Our last name starts with P.  

Addison Michelle
    Alyssa Michelle
    Adalynn Michelle
    Ashley Michelle
    Christina Michelle
    Samantha Michelle

I actually do not have a preference with the letter A, it's just the way the cookie has crumbled....  I really wanted a name with a strong meaning, but wasn't loving the few I found... I also really wanted a name that could have a shortened nick name.
  • @Cubslove12 I really love the name Addison! It's probably my #2 pick (behind a family name) if ours is a girl. Doesn't it also have meaning RE: the Cubs (like the street the stadium is on)? Can't remember if I read that here or elsewhere, but that seems like a positive for you! Plus I love the initials with an A name...AMP!
  • L1C4gal said:
    @Cubslove12 I really love the name Addison! It's probably my #2 pick (behind a family name) if ours is a girl. Doesn't it also have meaning RE: the Cubs (like the street the stadium is on)? Can't remember if I read that here or elsewhere, but that seems like a positive for you! Plus I love the initials with an A name...AMP!
    This was always our favorite name, even before the Cubs won the World Series. We don't really have a family girl name we can use with out pissing someone off, however the cubs are very important to us and to each of our families... My Grandma and My husband's grandpa were HUGE cubs fans so we kindof like that it's a way to make a nod to them... The problem is, and I never thought I would say this, unfortunately since they won.... we personally know  like 3 new Addisons and this is from people who are band wagon fans... So we are afraid that the name is too trendy...  
  • @Cubslove12 My name is on your list so I'm biased haha Ashley :) But I like Adalynn, too! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited March 2017
    @Cubslove12 I love Addison from your list! But I could see your concern with it being too trendy, but I also think if it's such a huge part of your family, then who cares what anyone else did?! I have a cousin who named her daughter Adalynn so I'm a fan of that one as well, and coincidentally they live in Chicago! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @Cubslove12 my name is also on your list! But i spell Alyssa with an E and 2 Ls
  • This was always our favorite name, even before the Cubs won the World Series. We don't really have a family girl name we can use with out pissing someone off, however the cubs are very important to us and to each of our families... My Grandma and My husband's grandpa were HUGE cubs fans so we kindof like that it's a way to make a nod to them... The problem is, and I never thought I would say this, unfortunately since they won.... we personally know  like 3 new Addisons and this is from people who are band wagon fans... So we are afraid that the name is too trendy...  
    @Cubslove12 Hmmm, I can see where that would be an issue--especially from your perspective as a non-bandwagon fan ;) I agree with @hp_momma that you could definitely get around it if it means that much to you and your family. But I can't say that it wouldn't steer me away if I were in your shoes. I also really like Adalynn!
  • @Cubslove12 - I also live in the Chicago area, and know tons of Addisons :/ It's a cute name though! There was an article about some super Cubs fans in Iowa who have B/G twins named Clark and Addison, which is hilarious and adorable. From your list, my pick would be Samantha :) 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• kayemjay2 said:
    @Cubslove12 - I also live in the Chicago area, and know tons of Addisons :/ It's a cute name though! There was an article about some super Cubs fans in Iowa who have B/G twins named Clark and Addison, which is hilarious and adorable. From your list, my pick would be Samantha :) 
    @kayemjay2 That's the story I heard about! I'm thinking I must have heard it on here. We may be moving to Illinois soon so I should probably keep this in mind with Addison as a #2 pick...
  • L1C4gal said:
    kayemjay2 said:
    @Cubslove12 - I also live in the Chicago area, and know tons of Addisons :/ It's a cute name though! There was an article about some super Cubs fans in Iowa who have B/G twins named Clark and Addison, which is hilarious and adorable. From your list, my pick would be Samantha :) 
    @kayemjay2 That's the story I heard about! I'm thinking I must have heard it on here. We may be moving to Illinois soon so I should probably keep this in mind with Addison as a #2 pick...
    I've seen stories about people naming their kids Wrigley... That I would not do. I do know alot of Dogs named Wrigley. 
  • I've seen stories about people naming their kids Wrigley... That I would not do. I do know alot of Dogs named Wrigley. 
    @Cubslove12 Oh man...that's just...well, that's something. (Love it for a dog, though!)
  • @pshaortao while reading your list, Thomas for some reason stood out to me. It is a good solid name that you don't hear much anymore. 
  • @pshaortao Connor is one of my top picks right now. We've had to table the name discussion for the last little while but I'm going to start bringing it up again soon. 

I also like Justin and Thomas off your list.
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @pshaortao @CherryBananas: I'm 100 percent on board with your options, and I'm completely biased here because I have a little Connor of my own.  :)  :)  :)
  • @skzw awww sweet :) i feel like this is silly but I do wonder if Connor gets misspelled as Conner often since it can go either way. Not really a big deal although it does irk me sometimes when people spell mine as sarah instead of sara. And a family friend does it alllll the time.