January 2016 Moms

Picky eater

Anyone else dealing with a picky eater? Graham either shakes his head no or throws nearly 90% of everything I give him onto the floor. 

Re: Picky eater

• Yes. Brynlee is behind because of food allergies, but so far she hates approximately everything. Except when she doesn't... but don't fret, she'll hate it again after a bite and a half. 
  • That's what ours does if he's not really hunry or if he's bored.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Our LO used to be an amazing eater and now I wonder how she stays alive. Even old faves get chucked to the floor most of the time.
  • Yup I have a very picky eater.  :/
  • Yup!  Rose was doing great for about a month but has decided to get picky again.  The only things she'll eat are peas, blueberries and bananas.  That's it!  And only a tiny bit at a time.  She used to eat meat pouches, ravioli, turkey burger bits, etc - no more!  Our dr said we could take the transition from formula to milk slowly since she's barely eating, but she said it's a phase and she should grow out of it soon.  I hope!  Very frustrating!
  • Do you guys eat the same thing you're feeding LO? I notice mine is very skeptical until I eat a bite or eat a bite and offer her a bite off of my fork. 
  • KFrob said:
    Do you guys eat the same thing you're feeding LO? I notice mine is very skeptical until I eat a bite or eat a bite and offer her a bite off of my fork. 
    Sometimes, but if the afternoon nap ends before our dinner is ready, he gets whatever I can find quick. 
  • KFrob said:
    Do you guys eat the same thing you're feeding LO? I notice mine is very skeptical until I eat a bite or eat a bite and offer her a bite off of my fork. 
    Yes, we tend to. We all eat the same dinner and then she often has leftovers as part of her lunch the next day. 

LO has started eating more foods since I last posted and even eats things she wouldn't touch before (like salad) so I'm glad this phase is waning!
  • So my doctor recommended always having something on LO's plate that I'll know she will eat (our go-to is yogurt), and then have at least 1 new thing or something good for her on her plate. And no back up meals. So I don't end up cooking more than one meal, and even if she doesn't eat the thing I want her to eat, she at least has something she likes. And keep doing this, and eventually LO will learn to like more of a variety of foods; she'll also learn that what she gets is all that she gets, so if shes hungry she better eat it. Also be calm and avoid stressing and fighting over food. 

Easier said than done, but I like the advice. I haven't followed it yet though haha... Working on it. 

And LO is definitely more interested in food if I'm eating it too. 
  • @fishee333 I really like that advice. I have heard parts of it separately but all together it sounds like an actual plan!

I wonder if I have been going overboard with variety and should stick to fewer items. I will often do sweet potato, cheese, pomegranate seeds, blueberries, applesauce (all of which I know he likes) AND some of what we are having to try. He eats a ton. We have varied degrees of success on the grown-up food but just in the last week I have cut back on the "other" items he eats in the interest of having him eat more of what we're eating. My fear is that he doesn't eat much at dinner he will start waking again at night but I don't know how valid of a concern that is.

Anyway, tonight he tried and loved homemade kale chips and our lentil veggie soup, so at least we're heading in the right direction... the veggies are normally the hardest sell. 
  • A thing I've noticed with my LO is that she'll refuse to eat if she has too many choices. If I prepare three things, but give them to her one at a time, replacing the first item with the second when she's done with the first, etc, she is more likely to eat it all. I think she gets overwhelmed. (She comes by it honestly. I eat a lot of meals one item at a time.)