August 2017 Moms

This is Us Discussion - "Memphis" 2/21

***General spoiler warning***

I don't have questions this time since we all know what this episode focused on. So, let's just discuss in general. 

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: This is Us Discussion - "Memphis" 2/21

• Loading the player...
  • szwill86 said:
    So I was a mess this episode from the time William paid his respects to Jack at the tree until the end, especially when William had Randall take out the "Poems for my Son." :'( 

Darnit! I always get stuck in these quotes!!

But THIS!! Every time I thought my sobbing was over, it started again!!
  • I'm with @sgrant432 and @bumpybump I thought it was just because I've been sick with a cold & have medicine head, but I was also not really into the episode. I didn't even cry, which is unusual for me. We knew this episode was coming, so maybe that dulled the emotions for me.

I am very much looking forward to seeing how William's death will affect Randall's life. I'm also eager to get back to the other storylines. 
  • Yeah I feel like it's a little too close to the season finale to only be focusing on one character storyline. I was disappointed that we didn't get anything to piggyback on last week with the rest of the characters.

I was very emotional about William dying. I'm surprised they didn't wait until the last episode but I guess I'm happy we have some resolution about it. It was sweet that he got to live it his last moments in the place that was his whole life.

Drunk Randall was awesome. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Glad i wasn't the only one!  
    @PinkPrincessPiper I didn't even cry either and I usually am a mess with this show. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think need to rewatch it again. It didn't keep my attention. Maybe it was me knowing William was going to die and wanting to avoid seeing it? I do feel like something was missing without the other characters. I watched it On Demand, so I couldn't fast forward through commercials and it lost my attention. I think the best (and saddest part) was watching William's life flash before his eyes. I wish he and Randall had more time together. 

@BusinessWife I feel you, lady. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I really liked the episode. I feel like the other siblings have gotten their individual episodes where they got to be the focus, so I was glad Randall got his. I cried off and on the whole episode because it was so sweet that Randall got some closure with his dad.

I'll also be honest that I was glad to have a break from Mandy Moore's character because she stresses me out. Maybe it's because they've made Jack into some sort of a saint, but could they make the mom more likeable? Please?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited February 2017
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">SpotConlon</a> said:</div>
    <div>I really liked the episode. I feel like the other siblings have gotten their individual episodes where they got to be the focus, so I was glad Randall got his. I cried off and on the whole episode because it was so sweet that Randall got some closure with his dad.

<b>I'll also be honest that I was glad to have a break from Mandy Moore's character because she stresses me out.</b> Maybe it's because they've made Jack into some sort of a saint, but could they make the mom more likeable? Please?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Lol This.  I don't think I had put my finger on it before but omg totally.  Also, wasnt she like some little Dinsey-esque teeny-bopper starlette?  When did she get OLD?  It's throwing me off, and I feel like that must mean <i>I'm</i> old.  Plus I just said "teeny-bopper"  wth!?@?

ETA but I'm also mad at Jack right now for flipping out on her and going to their booth by himself so.... :/  she shouldn't have kept it from him, and the band guy's a total douche, but still.

@NYTino24. ((((Hugs))))  you'll get there... ❤
  • Even though I cried like a baby at the end of the episode, I'm blaming it on hormones, haha. The episode was really touching, especially the flashbacks to William's mother. I'm really hoping that Randall will use what he just went through to live his life the best he can. And part of me wonders if Randall and Beth talking to their daughters about William's death will bring up details about Jack's death. 

Jumping on the Jack/Rebecca bandwagon, I'm getting a little irritated with how Rebecca is being portrayed. She's a stay-at-home mom of three kiddos and trying to figure out who she is outside of being a mom, so why make her out to be the bad guy in the marriage? I get that Jack works hard and supports the family fully, but I'm sure he's not the saint that everyone thinks he is... All couples have arguments that blow up but most people don't ditch their spouse to eat alone on a special day.  :#
  • LindstotheeLindstothee member
    edited February 2017
    @BusinessWife I'm with you. It made me bawl like a little baby.

I had a grandmother that I took care of at the end of her life and she died from cancer and it just hit me in that spot that brought up many memories. 

I enjoyed the story line and that it took the time to show Randall and his father having these special moments before he passed. I think I would have disliked it if it didn't go through everything and just showed William dying. I thought it was emotional and on point. 

I'm super emotional too though, so who knows, haha!
  • Bawled like a baby. I think this is the first time this show has made me cry and it was waterworks! 
  • I cried like crazy which is not typical of me to do when watching shows. I just loved the clips of William with his mom (especially as a baby).
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• @BusinessWife - Mandy Moore is actually only 32! I was like "she may be pushing 40, but I' not buying her as a 60+ grandmother in this show" and needed to look further into it. Did you know she's actually younger than Randall, Kate and Kevin in present-day?! 

Anyway, I did like the episode, and I liked getting to know William's upbringing, but I was a little disappointed we didn't get more story-line from the previous episode. I was sad William died, but we all knew it was coming eventually. I'm glad Randall got to know some family ... Randall is probably my favourite character.
  • OH and whoever William's younger-self character is, is amazing. I fell in love with younger-William.
  • @HappyToBeHere I agree! I loved younger William. It was so sad to see him on such a good path and then totally fall apart after his mom died. 

I didn't cry during the episode until those little ducks crossed the street when Randall was driving home! Ahhh the tears.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SpotConlon I agree. I don't think she's that believable as an older parent at all. Just making her hair short and giving her glasses with some different clothes doesn't do it for me. I'm older than her!! 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Well I'm way behind and just finished watching this episode. I was hysterical. I knew from when it started that this was THE episode. I've felt really connected to the whole Randall/William storyline. I, too, was adopted and found my biological mother when she had stage 4 cancer and was given 6 months. She lived 2.5 years after that, and we had one hell of a rocky relationship, especially compared to Randall and William. My bio mom just passed in October, and seeing this episode just brought back all those feelings. I'm really really going to miss William. I loved him, and I really hope we see lasting change in Randall frkm their relationship! 
    @bumpybump as much as I liked this episode, I did kinda miss the going back and forth between all the characters. 
    @SpotConlon yesss!!! I love Mandy Moore (walk to remember addict), but I just don't like her character. I don't know if it's because she seems like a terrible person compared to jack, or bc we don't have Jack's full story yet, idk! 
    Pregnancy Ticker