July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• kat0607 said:
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but does anyone have recommendations for trendy yet functional diaper bags that wont break the bank? I carry a large purse anyway (granted it's full of mostly receipts and empty water bottles) so I'm used to carrying something bulky. But I want something that fits my style but it also practical, and can be big enough to use for a baby and a toddler, if needed in the future. I have really expensive taste, which will put me in the hole before baby even arrives, so I need some recommendations for less expensive options (under $100 preferably).
    So glad you posted this. Wondering the same thing. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Rae1 said:
    kat0607 said:
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but does anyone have recommendations for trendy yet functional diaper bags that wont break the bank? I carry a large purse anyway (granted it's full of mostly receipts and empty water bottles) so I'm used to carrying something bulky. But I want something that fits my style but it also practical, and can be big enough to use for a baby and a toddler, if needed in the future. I have really expensive taste, which will put me in the hole before baby even arrives, so I need some recommendations for less expensive options (under $100 preferably).
    You guys!! I bought the skip hop black Chelsea backpack diaper bag and it is perfect!! Big, comfortable to carry, fits tons of stuff, stylish, $99 on Amazon, worth every penny!! I'll take a pic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mrscate88 said:
    That is super cute - but not girl (so DH will carry it). I definitely want backpack style. Every mom I have talked to says it's WAYYYY better. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I think the cheapest option is just buy a large purse or backpack that you love. We stopped using the real diaper bag by the time DS was ~6 months old. In the very very beginning, all the pockets are nice, but...meh. Diaper bags are way overrated IMHO. Especially if you get a roll up change pad that holds diapers and wipes - waaaay more convenient for taking baby into restrooms or wherever for a change, anyway. 
  • I think the cheapest option is just buy a large purse or backpack that you love. We stopped using the real diaper bag by the time DS was ~6 months old. In the very very beginning, all the pockets are nice, but...meh. Diaper bags are way overrated IMHO. Especially if you get a roll up change pad that holds diapers and wipes - waaaay more convenient for taking baby into restrooms or wherever for a change, anyway. 
    Yep - 100% agree with this. 
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited February 2017
    I think the cheapest option is just buy a large purse or backpack that you love. We stopped using the real diaper bag by the time DS was ~6 months old. In the very very beginning, all the pockets are nice, but...meh. Diaper bags are way overrated IMHO. Especially if you get a roll up change pad that holds diapers and wipes - waaaay more convenient for taking baby into restrooms or wherever for a change, anyway. 
    Wow, seriously?  We're so different on this.  DS is 3.5 and we still use the diaper bag.  Not for diapers, but for changes of clothes, sippy cups and food.  I love that it's got "his things" in it.  I keep spare tylenol, benodryl, and aquafor in it.  I have a regular diaper bag from Babies R Us, and I think it's cute.  I don't think they sell it anymore.  We had a backpack one for DH, but we were annoyed with it.

ETA:  Upon re-read, this sounds way snarkier than it was in my head.  That was genuine surprise at our different view, not a sarcastic "wow, seriously."
    Wow, seriously?  We're so different on this.  DS is 3.5 and we still use the diaper bag.  Not for diapers, but for changes of clothes, sippy cups and food.  I love that it's got "his things" in it.  I keep spare tylenol, benodryl, and aquafor in it.  I have a regular diaper bag from Babies R Us, and I think it's cute.  I don't think they sell it anymore.  We had a backpack one for DH, but we were annoyed with it.
    I have to agree with @chiquita928 here, I'm the pocket-loving type. My purse is a wreck inside, but I can't imagine having a bunch of baby items floating all around inside a huge bag. The roll-up change pad does sound really useful and convenient though. One bag I have my eye on comes with two smaller inserts inside - I like that idea because then I can just grab the smaller insert with all the changing supplies. I'm not a huge fan of the backpack style either, but I appreciate your suggestion @mrscate88 ! I am going to have to find something DH will want to carry too, and he likes the backpack type so I may have to compromise! 
    Oh yes, then we are very different. I stopped carrying all the What Ifs pretty quickly. Any of those items, we will just head home if it's really needed (knock on wood, we haven't). The worst thing that's happened to us out and about (knock on wood) is a poopsplosion. I feel much better traveling lighter. And feel more like Me without the designated bag and all that stuff. 
  • I can't remember the last time I used a diaper bag. Or brought diapers out with me. I either don't leave the house for long enough or my child's poops are that predictable. It's both. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
    Oh yes, then we are very different. I stopped carrying all the What Ifs pretty quickly. Any of those items, we will just head home if it's really needed (knock on wood, we haven't). The worst thing that's happened to us out and about (knock on wood) is a poopsplosion. I feel much better traveling lighter. And feel more like Me without the designated bag and all that stuff. 
    Yeah, I added to the original that my remark wasn't meant to be snarky, so I apologize if it came across that way.  We visit three different sets of grandparents all the time, so for us it's easier to keep his bag ready to go.  I usually leave it by the door, and grab it to go.  I don't carry it as my purse, though.  It's more like his "overnight bag" now that he's older.
    Yeah, I added to the original that my remark wasn't meant to be snarky, so I apologize if it came across that way.  We visit three different sets of grandparents all the time, so for us it's easier to keep his bag ready to go.  I usually leave it by the door, and grab it to go.  I don't carry it as my purse, though.  It's more like his "overnight bag" now that he's older.
    Oh dear - I didn't interpret it as snarky! Hope my response didn't come across that way, either. Man, internet tone is hard sometimes. Was just trying to acknowledge our differences - nothing right or wrong about either of them! Have enjoyed talking to you today. Hug it out, girlfriend ;)<3

And your follow up here makes a lot of sense. 
  • kat0607 said:
    I REALLY like my Carters diaper bag, it is simple, elegant and understaTed and I still take it everywhere with me. It fits 12 diapers 6 bottles, wipes, 5 outfits, 3 receiving blankets, 3 pairs of socks and bath time essentials for overnights. Also has a pouch for mommy things and a portable changing pad.
  • I'm getting an Elvy (sp?) Backpack. It's $69.99, and it looks completely amazing. I tried diaper bags with my other two, fail. I ended up getting a backpack for both of them. This time I'm doing it all for me, this one is super trendy and doesn't look like it would have diapers in it.
  • I love my kate spade diaper bag and I got it at one of the secret sales they do for about 100. I still carry it and my girls are 3 and 5. Between waters for all of us, snacks, extra clothes for the 3 yo it fills up quick. Butttt we tend to be on the go a lot and always have so a big diaper bag was always going to be a necessity for us. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I need to start looking for one. I'm naive if I think I'll just be able to grab and go with two...
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • The first thing I wanted to get was a diaper bag, it was definitely a splurge but I really, really thought it was gorgeous. It has a coated canvis so it's easy to wipe and looks long lasting to me. This is my first and hopefully I will be able to use it for more to come. The diaper bag has small strawberries on it which may not be the most gender neutral but who cares, my husband said he's fine carrying it so can't be too "girly"?
  • I have a skip hop duo signature (in French stripe cause I'm fancy and had to get that print) and just got a hip cub messenger for new baby. I love them both. I can't do a backpack style. I feel like I'm hiking a mountain. The messenger style works great because I can still be hands free and they strap to the stroller great.
    Hip cub:
    https://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Bag-Hip-Cub-Messenger/dp/B01B03FAN2?th=1&psc=1

Skip hop:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B7XUVLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1487718725&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=skip+hop+diaper+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=51RF0W3-8SL&ref=plSrch#nav-search-keywords
  • MrsLa3MrsLa3 member
    edited February 2017
    elvyshop.com is the website 

Eta the other link didn't work.
  • +1 for Skip Hop diaper bags. I have a JujuBe messenger bag and a Kate Spade Stevie from last time, and I'm not crazy about either of them. I have been using normal totes for a while now (DS is 2.5) but with a baby I feel like you need a bag with more structure cuz you have to do more things one-handed
  • I had a Vera Bradley bag for DS . Her style is not usually my thing but I loved that I could was the entire bag. In the beginning with my twins I actually bought one of her weekender bags for longer day trips, having 3 under 2 required alot. Nowadays DH keeps a bookbag stocked and I keep an extra set of clothes & diapers in the car and keep a zip lock in my bag with 4 diapers for the twins, an extra set of underwear for DS and a few wipes, as well as snacks and water cups
     It's pretty unusual for the twins to poop outside of the house. If we are going to the zoo or something I pack a bookbag with extra clothes, snavks and diapers. 
  • Trying to decide between Chicco Keyfit 30, Chicco Keyfit Magic or Zip, Maxi Cosi Max 30, or Graco Snugride 35. Anyone have any insite?
  • @stokesm21 there are other strollers that can accept the mesa car seat.  Baby Jogger City Select is one that has an adapter for it and seems to be more common than the UB strollers which is great for re-sale.  Both are probably close in price but thought I would throw that out there in case you come across a good sale on a baby jogger.  
  • Trying to decide between Chicco Keyfit 30, Chicco Keyfit Magic or Zip, Maxi Cosi Max 30, or Graco Snugride 35. Anyone have any insite?
    I used the snugride 35 for baby's first year and loved it. 
  • mrscate88 said:
    Trying to decide between Chicco Keyfit 30, Chicco Keyfit Magic or Zip, Maxi Cosi Max 30, or Graco Snugride 35. Anyone have any insite?
    I used the snugride 35 for baby's first year and loved it. 
    Same
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• @CarsonsMommy

We are definitely getting one of the Chicco Keyfit seats because it is one of the safest, highest rated infant seats on the market and really easy to install.  Also extra keyfit bases are readily available for resale on Craigslist.  

Based on my research, the Keyfit Magic has better material than the regular Keyfit.  There's no other difference.  

The Keyfit Zip has a zip off canopy and zip-on visor.  There's also zip around boot, which is good for cold weather.  It also has a removable seat pad so you can throw it in the washing machine.

Chicco recently came out with the Keyfit 30 Zip Mesh, which is supposed to be more breathable.  DH did not like it because he thought the mesh felt rough.  He prefers the soft padding of the regular Keyfit Zip. 

The Keyfit 30 is the one that comes with the Chicco Bravo travel system.  The Keyfit 30 Zip comes with the Chicco Bravo LE travel system.  We are planning on registering for the LE travel system.
  • Anyone have an opinion about a snuza go versus hero? I want to order one but not sure which.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    mrscate88 said:
    Rae1 said:
    kat0607 said:
    You guys!! I bought the skip hop black Chelsea backpack diaper bag and it is perfect!! Big, comfortable to carry, fits tons of stuff, stylish, $99 on Amazon, worth every penny!! I'll take a pic. 
    +1  
    I also recommend Skip Hop.  I purchased a Duo Signature although they have a lot of other options.  I paid $65 (CAD) for mine on sale.

ETA:  I'm not sure if it was on here but someone mentioned that they've had theirs for 5 years and it's still going strong so that was a plus for me.  I know quite a few people that have them.  I got mine in Triangles.  LOVE it.  And it comes with a handy-dandy fold-able change pad inside.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
    edited February 2017
    abmommy15 said:
    @stokesm21 there are other strollers that can accept the mesa car seat.  Baby Jogger City Select is one that has an adapter for it and seems to be more common than the UB strollers which is great for re-sale.  Both are probably close in price but thought I would throw that out there in case you come across a good sale on a baby jogger.  
    I did come across this recently but the only adapter I was able to find here for the Baby Jogger was $100.  Yikes! So it seemed like because of that price on top of the stroller, it just made sense to stick with Uppababy.  I will do some more searching and see if I can find the adapter elsewhere.  My gf was telling me we can order Baby Jogger strollers cheaper from the US even with the exchange and shipping so that definitely intrigued me.

ETA:  And I just remembered you're Canadian too haha!  Any ideas of where I could find the adapter? I was only able to find it on Amazon.   
    edited February 2017
    Can I just say that I'm really ticked that Uppababy doesn't sell the Vista without the bassinet?  I have no need for that damn thing.  It's $500 more for the Vista!  I won't even recoup most of my cost if I sell it.  The Cruz has bad reviews for the wheels so the Vista would be my #1 pick otherwise.  Grrrrr!  

Edit:  Spelling
    ETA:  Might be cheaper to purchase in the US but not considering the fact that I would have to renew my passport ($120!) in order to get across the border (I'm about 2 hours away) 
  • @CarsonsMommy

We are definitely getting one of the Chicco Keyfit seats because it is one of the safest, highest rated infant seats on the market and really easy to install.  Also extra keyfit bases are readily available for resale on Craigslist.  

Based on my research, the Keyfit Magic has better material than the regular Keyfit.  There's no other difference.  

The Keyfit Zip has a zip off canopy and zip-on visor.  There's also zip around boot, which is good for cold weather.  It also has a removable seat pad so you can throw it in the washing machine.

Chicco recently came out with the Keyfit 30 Zip Mesh, which is supposed to be more breathable.  DH did not like it because he thought the mesh felt rough.  He prefers the soft padding of the regular Keyfit Zip. 

The Keyfit 30 is the one that comes with the Chicco Bravo travel system.  The Keyfit 30 Zip comes with the Chicco Bravo LE travel system.  We are planning on registering for the LE travel system.
    Yeah, now definately leaning towards chicco, but my hubby doesn't like any of the colors/designs (still have a long time to decide) but the thing I like about the gtaco seats is that there is so much shoulder space and growing room, but less cushion... I wish I could go to a baby store and compare, but the closest one is 3 hrs away. I also do not see any chicco double strollers that I actually like.
  • @stokesm21 I love bassinets! Part of my decision to buy my stroller is for its gorgeous bassinet. Itl be summer and we can stroll baby around in it. It looks super cute and can cover baby from too much sun too! 

• My friend had a diaper bag that basically turned into a changing table - pretty awesome. I have no idea what brand it is, guess I should ask what she thought about it :D

Is anyone else just completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and choices out there? I went to BRU the other day and just couldn't even focus outside of the furniture we went there to browse. My eyes were just like wide and I was just thinking how the hell does this even work lol. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • OMG! I heard about a diaper bag that turns into that or a bassinet. I totally would love to know!
    Any baby monitor loves? I am nervous for one that doesn't work or constant white noise.
  • ThePecks said:
    My friend had a diaper bag that basically turned into a changing table - pretty awesome. I have no idea what brand it is, guess I should ask what she thought about it :D

Is anyone else just completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and choices out there? I went to BRU the other day and just couldn't even focus outside of the furniture we went there to browse. My eyes were just like wide and I was just thinking how the hell does this even work lol. 
    Yes! But STM tip: you don't need any of it. Swear. A few items here and there will make your life easier, but the agony over which version will end once the baby arrives and you have somewhere to focus your mind. 
    Maybe that's an early UO but seriously, babies don't actually need much. 
    This. So this.
  • ThePecks said:
    @ThePecks My advice is to buy only what you know you'll need at the outset (place for baby to eat, food for baby to eat, place for baby to sleep, clothes to wear, blankets). When I had my first, I was totally overwhelmed by all of the things and bought SO.MUCH.STUFF.  I didn't use most of it, or stopped using it very quickly.  Now I look at 90% of the stuff at the baby store and think "who the $$$$ needs this $$$$?" 

@CarsonsMommy We used the ChiccoKeyFit30 for DS1 and DS2 and loved it.  It's the easiest one to install correctly and I found it to be the easiest to get the straps fitted to my babies at any size.  

@Katie______ I've traveled on an airplane with 2 Diono Radians.  They're heavy AF, but pretty easy to install and my boys were happier in them than they are in normal plane seats.  We've done it by piling the seats onto the stroller (do not recommend) and using this thingy.  Using the luggage strap was muuuuuuch easier. I lost it, but I'm buying another one for our trip home this summer.  

@CapricaAndrea Get the car seat that works best with the car.  You want a car seat that has an easy and safe (correct) install in your vehicle. Good fit with a stroller is a nice convenience; good fit/install in the vehicle can make a huge difference in outcome if you're in an accident.  Get the stroller you like the most whether it's compatible with your car seat or not.  You'll get 6+ months out of your bucket seat; you'll get years of use out of your stroller.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • hahaha, yeah I know most of the stuff they sell is just crap I don't want nor need (and my DH won't let me buy crap we don't need anyway which is good).

But even just looking at basic things I need or have to have like car seats and pumps makes my head spin. Guess I'll just have to buckle down on the research business here soon. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga