November 2016 Moms

GTKY: Reading & Books

SandNStarsNJSandNStarsNJ member
edited January 2017 in November 2016 Moms
Thought we could try a getting to know you (GTKY) and since so many of use mentioned an interested (pre and post baby) in reading, we could start there.

What's the last book you read? What did you think?

What's your favorite book? Why?

What's next in your reading queue?

Do you plan to read (or are you) to your LO?

What's your favorite children's book?

Married: 08.05.11
Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

Re: GTKY: Reading & Books

• What's the last book you read? What did you think?

I'm in the middle of Tana French's The Trespasser. Eh, it's ok, it hasn't gripped me the way her other books have, from the get go.

I have several, depends on the genre. Kate Atkinson's Behind The Scenes of the Museum is one of them because the story is moving, yet suspenseful and beautifully written. My all time is probably Little Women. It's the first book I remember dying to finish and reread again.

What's next in reading queue?
    The Summer Before The War. I loved the authors debut but couldn't really get into this one but I'll try again after I finish The trespasser.

yep, I try to read to her to daily.

I have two (again); Ferdinand and Hattie and the Wild Waves
  • SandNStarsNJSandNStarsNJ member
    edited January 2017
    I just finished The Other Wes Moore, which was pretty good and very introspective. It's about two men with the same name, growing up in the same area but with very different outcomes - one in prison and the other an Oxford scholar writing the book.

I don't know if I have one. I love a lot of books and a lot of essays. And honestly essays might be my favorite. I'm a big fan of George Orwell's Politics and the English Language and Brent Staples's Just Walk on By. And I do find quite a few YA books to be guilty pleasures.

I have Originals  and Ebony and Ivy both sitting on my nightstand. Hoping to get through at least one before maternity leave is up.

Absolutely! We started reading to DD at 3 months every night and are still going strong (2.5 now). It's part of our bedtime ritual and she always tried for more books than we have time. I hope to instill a similar zeal in DS.

World on a String - it's beautiful and a little sad as an adult (but aren't they all? I mean, The Giving Tree isn't all that much of a feel good book). Oh, and anything by Mo Willems is super fun.
  • Loading the player...
    -Girl On the Train! Loved it! I thought the book was way better than the movie. 

- A Thousand Splended Suns which is weird because it's so not what I would think. It's like the Kite Runner sort of but from the women's perspective and I could not put it down which is weird because it normally takes me months to finish a book lol 

What's next in reading queue?

No idea 

Yes! His favorite is Chicka Chika Boom Boom right now lol
    Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • What's the last book you read? What did you think? I honestly don't remember. It's been a while, but I typically a big reader. I can usually get through a book in a few days, so I'm not sure what exactly my last was. 

What's your favorite book? Why? I don't know if I have a favorite. I do own "In the Minds of Billy Milligan" and read it every few years. His multiple personalities really intrigue me and how they go through the process of combining them all. 

the newest Stephanie plum boom that came out in November. 

Without a doubt. We already do and big sister (3yo) reads to her too. 
    What's your favorite children's book?  you can't ask a kindergarten teacher her favorite children's book! There are way too many! I really love the (original) Pete the Cat books. Kevin Henkes books are favorites too. And I love reading David Shannon books to my 5 year olds. Then there's classics like "where the wild things are" and "good night moon" and a million others. 
    I'm reading the storied life of A.J. Fikrey for my mommy book club. It's not my favorite, pretty predictable and an easy read. Which is a nice thing with two kids. 

I don't know. I never was a huge reader and really have only read when I joined the book group. I liked Girl on the train and Gone Girl.

whatever is next in the book club que. I haven't heard yet.

You bet! We read to our daughter every night. She reads to her baby sister and we will continue to read to both every night.

I could go to my kids room to find it, but I can't remember the name. It's about a mouse who has a strawberry and he tries different ways to hide it so not to attract the hungry bear. 
  • @camcbeth - The Red Ripe Strawberry, the Very Hungry Mouse, and the Big Hungry Bear! I loved that as a kid!
  • Heads up: I enjoy mostly light reading. Don't judge! 

Thought we could try a getting to know you (GTKY) and since so many of use mentioned an interested (pre and post baby) in reading, we could start there.

shopaholic to the stars. It was good If you've read the whole shopaholic series. 
    Confessions of a shopaholic. It is what got me into Sophie Kinsella. I LOVE her books. They are light and funny and I can just get lost in them! 

DH gave me the most recent book in shopaholic series for Christmas last year and I still haven't cracked it. Horrible! I should find that...

Yes!! I love reading to him! I try to frequently. Soon we will make it our bedtime routine. 
    classic : love you forever 
    current : the boy who lost his name (personalized book with masons name in it!) 
    future(when his attention span is better): anything Disney !!

• What's the last book you read? What did you think? I don't remember the last one, probably a pregnancy book. I am currently reading healthy sleep habits happy child by mark weissbluth. It's actually pretty eye opening.

What's your favorite book? Why? I don't think I have a favorite. I like the Harry Potter series.

I have been trying to get through the sookie stackhouse novels but it's been hard to find time.

Do you plan to read (or are you) to your LO? yes. We have sometimes at bedtime. Hope to make it part of the routine.

What's your favorite children's book? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Wacky Wednsday.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @kristah2, no judgement here, Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret is one of my all time favorites!
  • edited January 2017
    What's the last book you read? What did you think? Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher. I enjoy Butcher's Dresden Files series so when DH recommended this series, I thought I'd give it a try. I really like how this world is completely different from Butcher's other series and that it follows a few characters so you get to see different parts of the action. The only thing I didn't really like is how detailed the battle scene was, but that's something the author does in his other books too and it's normal for the genre. I liked it enough that I'm reading the second in the series now.

What's your favorite book? Why? I have so many, but a few of them are: The Dovekeepeers by Alice Hoffman, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling, the True Blood series by Charlaine Harris (hated the series they made out of it though!)

My mom's book club I just joined is reading All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda for February so that's next on my list if I can get it at the library. (Both books this book club has done so far have had big wait lists on them which is a bit annoying - not everyone has a budget to buy every book, or wants to own them.)

Do you plan to read (or are you) to your LO? Absolutely. So far her favorite is Harold and the Purple Crayon. She always cries when I try to read Goodnight Moon to her, maybe she'll grow into that one?

What's your favorite children's book? I'm with @camcbeth - The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey & Don Wood is my hands down favorite kid's book.
  • What's the last book you read? What did you think? What to Expect When You're Expecting, the edition that was published in May '16 :p I loved it. I love info overload and it's written simply (with maybe too many puns). I read it month to month. The last book book was Interpreter of Maladies. I'm not usually a short stories person, but Jhumpa Lahiri is just awesome.

What's your favorite book? Why? The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Makes my heart hurt in the best way. I reread it every summer.

I make the mistake of reading too many things at once—books and magazines. Right now, I'm reading WTE The First Year and the Wonder Weeks as E progresses. Kind of reading The Danish Way of Parenting. For fun, The Girls.

Do you plan to read (or are you) to your LO? Definitely plan to more in the future (papa is an English teacher). We haven't been great about it so far.

What's your favorite children's book? Harry Potter(s)! Baby books.. I love Love You Forever, but it makes me cry every time!
  • My book club is reading Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller this month. It's a good read so far and if you're looking for an easy read I'd recommend it. Although I don't think it's in paperback yet. That's the only downfall. 

Anyone have a good recommendation for a book club? We need some new ideas.
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
    The Help by Kathryn Stocket
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
    ... I could keep going, but I'll stop there for now. :wink:
  • camcbeth said:
    My book club is reading Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller this month. It's a good read so far and if you're looking for an easy read I'd recommend it. Although I don't think it's in paperback yet. That's the only downfall. 

Anyone have a good recommendation for a book club? We need some new ideas.
    Are you looking for fiction? Or what's the preferred tenor of the group? I've always loved The Time Traveler's Wife. And while a little disturbing, Still Missing by Chevy Stevens is pretty compelling. 
  • We read just about everything. Thanks for all the suggestions. I was never a huge reader, now with two kids it's a nice escape. Also as a new sahm I'm used to work deadlines and miss it, so book club has been a great way to give myself a deadline, or sense of accomplishment.
  • If you do nonfiction too, then I highly recommend Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling