September 2017 Moms

Any plus size pregnancies out there?

Hi all. I'm a FTM and 10w+2 today. I'm high-risk because of several factors, one being my weight. I just wanted to see if there were any other plus size pregnancies out there! Either FTM or 2+ moms. How are you feeling? Any advise?
*TW below*
Me: 40 DH: 38
TTC since November 2012
BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!

Re: Any plus size pregnancies out there?

• I am a plus size momma... with my daughter I was so sick I literally lost 85 pounds. This time not so much so I've been walking 30ish minutes a day on top of my physical job (special needs teacher). Just be cautious and watch your sugar intake. Also eat small balanced meals instead of larger ones. It's surprising how much you will love your body through this process. I've always been self conscious and it took my first pregnancy to really love what my body could do  :) 

Also, doctors might hound you about weight gain, just realize they do this to protect the baby and yourself. It really sucks to hear when you struggle with weight to begin with, but it always helped me by thinking if they didn't say something they wouldn't be doing their job! Plus, my super skinny friends had the same issue too ;) 
  • I'm a plus size momma.  This is #4 for me.  I agree with @klcarr19 about pretty much everything she said.  The small meals make a big difference for me as does drinking a lot of water. I try to drink a gallon a day.

The doctors have never made too big a deal about my weight, thankfully.  They've just said to be watchful and careful, which goes for any pregnant woman.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is a thread that already exists with plus-size moms in this group. We've discussed doing a weekly check-in, but I don't think it's happened recently. Could be worth bringing back up.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12698500/plus-size-mamas/p1

Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • The weekly check in seemed to not get much activity because everyone was struggling through the first tri with morning sickness, exhaustion, etc. I'm thinking of starting it up again in a week or two as people start to feel better. But if there's interest sooner we could start it up again now.
    Me: 26 DH:25
    Married:August 2015
    TTC #1 since April 2016
  • @klcarr19 Thanks for the encouragement! I hear you about losing weight. I've lost 11lbs so far. But I'm starting to feel better and hope to crave healthy instead of the alternative. We'll see!

@SarahS2017 Small meals and lots of veg & fruit. That's the way to go! Thanks!

@MrsVP614 I found that thread after posting this. I couldn't figure out how to delete this one though. I'm now following both. Thanks for the heads up.

@SuzieMay827 A check-in would be nice. I'll see if anyone over on the other post wants to do it in a few weeks, after M/S settles down for all of us.
    *TW below*
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016

• @SuzieMay827 I'd love a check in. I need some accountability with my eating lol.  I don't have any morning sickness which has lead me to eat pizza
  • I have to say the perk for me as a plus size woman was shopping for maternity clothes. Built in Spanx! And no awkward button indents in my tummy! 
  • I am a high risk pregnacey because I was diagnosed with gestation diabetes at 8 weeks and 5 days.... 

I'm now 12 weeks today and every since finding out and dieting I've lost 13 pounds. I will be a rabbit till the end if that means our baby will be healthy ! mama bear mode already! * I am plus size * I'm 5'4 and now weigh 225 
  • Alright ladies, I think maybe we should start this back up :) I had picked Wednesdays as the day before, does that work?
    Also what are some questions you'd like to see so we can make sure the board is a fun one that people like participating in?
    I'd love to talk about goals and how we are doing with them, but I also want to have something that I can look forward to talking about even if Ben &a Jerry were my best friends this week-like I don't want it to become a shaming thing, but still helpful to keep us on track.
    Thoughts?
    Me: 26 DH:25
    Married:August 2015
    TTC #1 since April 2016
  • @SuzieMay827 Wednesday works for me. Any day really lol just pick the time and place and I'll be there!! Lol. I definitely would like to talk about goals but agree that I want to be able to say I had onion rings and a double cheeseburger for breakfast ( true story) and not get slammed by being honest. I haven't seen that on this board so I'm not really worried.  I'll throw some questions out there as I think of them.  One Id like to see is what type of excericing is working for everyone. Since I wasn't very active before. My choices are limited.  
  • @SuzieMay827 One thing I see on MyFitnessPal is "what are some non-scale victories you've had this week?" Maybe we could tailor that to plus size pregnancy? "What are some non-scale pregnancy positives you've experienced this week?" 
    Looking forward to Wednesday!!
    *TW below*
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016

• @bassoondiva I second you on wanting to learn other people's exercise routines. Right now I'm just doing pregnancy stretches + walking more, so I'd love to learn some alternatives (and yes, I know that pregnancy stretches are meant for women in their 2nd/3rd trimester, but I figured it was better than nothing)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @mightymcqueen where did you find your pregnancy stretches? I'd love to start doing some.  I don't think it's ever too early to start and I think it will really help me in my unmedicated delivery.  I promised myself to prepare more this time than I did with my second.  Lol. 
  • @bassoondiva Here's a site with decent descriptions. I guess it's technically pregnancy yoga, but they're so low impact that it wouldn't really tie in with what people in the US think of as yoga. There's also a lot of web videos that show positions, in case you need a more effective visual aid. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi I am not sure if I go here or not. I was sort of on the borderline of being plus size before this BFP. I am at that awkward limbo of regular clothes are ill fitted and plus size isnt right either. I still had 20 pounds extra from last pregnancy and I carry it all in my waist. Since morning sickness kicked in Ive lost about 8ish pounds. I am somewhat active and starting a group fitness challenge next week hoping it helps with all day nausea. I wasnt super active last pregnancy but this one I am hoping to change that, having a toddler will help I am sure.