3rd Trimester
Options

When to have baby shower if at risk for preterm labor?

I am at risk for pre-term labor since I have uterine fibroids. I am at 20 weeks right now and so far have not had any problems with the pregnancy. My family is talking about a baby shower. When do you think would be a good time to schedule it? I'm not sure what the etiquette dictates.

Re: When to have baby shower if at risk for preterm labor?

• Options
    hb7 said:
    I am at risk for pre-term labor since I have uterine fibroids. I am at 20 weeks right now and so far have not had any problems with the pregnancy. My family is talking about a baby shower. When do you think would be a good time to schedule it? I'm not sure what the etiquette dictates.
    @hb7

Correct me if I am wrong but here's what I think:

It is usually thrown about 1 month or 1 1/2 months before your due date. It's up to whoever decides to host / throw the shower for you as to when they want to have it. If this person doesn't already know that you are at risk for preterm labor you could let them know. There's nothing wrong with having a shower after the baby is born either - if that were to be how it played out due to you going into labor early.

Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had mine at 30 weeks pregnant bc that's the date that worked for everyone. I think it's fine to schedule it earlier. I also waited to buy everything until after the shower, and I can't imagine having a shower at 36 weeks and then trying to gather everything you need. I ended up having her early and I wasn't at risk for anything, so you just never know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hb7 there's no etiquette rule that states when you should have a shower, only that you not host it yourself. If your host is aware of your risk they should take that into account. They're usually held 6-8 weeks prior to EDD, but that's not a rule by any means. Have it when you want to have it and when your host can do it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had one at 28 weeks and one at 32 - both were in locations where my/DH's families are located, which we have to fly to get to.  So they absolutely had to be prior to 36 weeks, at the very least, so that I could get on a plane.  These were just the days that worked best for us when the VIPs were available.  I would ask the hosts if they can narrow down potential dates and let you weigh in on them (since you know they're throwing it I doubt it is really a surprise).  This was obviously necessary for me since I had to purchase plane tickets.  Run the dates by your VIPs (parents, siblings, etc) and go from there.  I don't think anyone will side-eye you having a shower on the early side, given the fact that your pregnancy is high-risk for preterm labor.  But if you wind up in labor before the shower, don't worry about it - having one after the baby is born isn't the end of the world either.  It happens.
  • Options
    I've always seen showers being held sometime after 34 weeks, but I just had my shower at 30 weeks because that's a time that worked for everyone (plus the holidays). I mean, I definitely wouldn't have a shower before 24 weeks because of viability concerns, but I'd personally be comfortable anytime after 28 weeks.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    I'm on bedrest because of my IC and I also am at risk of preterm labour. My family/ friends decided that after the baby is born would be better for a shower 
  • Options
    My baby shower is this Saturday.  I will be at 34 weeks. So I did make it this far! (I'm the original poster).