TTC after 35

Thoughts on Antidepressants while TTC?

As many of you know, it's been 12 long months of trying. We've had one mc along the way and this is getting harder and harder to manage. I feel like I am just at my breaking point.  I've gone on and off of antidepressants a few times in my life, but I'm at the point where I'm considering going back on them for a few months just to try and get things settled back down emotionally.  Do any of you have any thoughts or experiences with this while TTC?  Does it have an impact on the baby?  I know I can google and you can see whatever answer you are looking for, but I'm seeking real life experience from other momma's.  I feel like I've tried every herbal supplement on the market and I just need some relief for a while.

EDD 6/18/18
DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13

Re: Thoughts on Antidepressants while TTC?

• When I was TTC #1 back in 2010 I was on Ativan as needed and realized I couldn't take it when I got pregnant with her.  I actually developed depression and anxiety during first trimester so they suggested zoloft.  I believe its possibly the only one that is safe to take when pregnant.  She was healthy and is almost 6.  I'm still on it now as I have a history of anxiety and plan to be on it when I get pregnant again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for sharing this wit @vlagrl29.....I need to do something. Things are not going well and my poor husband is getting the brunt of all my frustration and depression.  I feel like I'm missing out on my amazing children and family that I have because I'm so focused on what I want and can't seem to get. 

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • Loading the player...
  • @brigidjerrell - I understand.  I can get down too after my loss in December.  I just have to remind myself that I actually did get pregnant so it is possible.  DD actually asked me tonight when will we have another baby and for what I feel like for the 100th time I tell her what I always tell her "hopefully soon".  A year for me will be June and oh my gosh I sure as hell hope I'm pregnant by then.  Something that has helped me is pouring myself into things that I can control and focus on that not on what I can't control (TTC).  Part of that process for me was letting go of all the tracking that goes into it.  It will literally make me BSC.
  • I just want to pipe in and advocate for therapy instead of medication. (I'm a nurse, I am not a psychiatrist and this is just my opinion after reading the literature) Meds should be used as a stopgap while you develop coping skills in therapy. Any SSRI (Zoloft included) is still risky in pregnancy because we don't have good data on the effects on kiddos down the road. I have a few friends who have taken Zoloft in pregnancy, but their anxiety levels were to the point that they couldn't do daily activities. They also see therapists as well. These kinds of medications can take several weeks to be effective and several weeks to wean off of. I would be very hesitant to go on them unless my anxiety/depression was impeding my ability to work/get up in the morning/drive a car/etc. I worked with a therapist for several years and have been able to manage my anxiety through behavior modification without meds for the last 5 years. It's not a quick fix, but it's a healthier and much more permanent one for milder cases of anxiety/depression. (Disclaimer: if you are having thoughts of harming yourself or others that is an actual emergency and you need to see your PCP or go to the ER right away)
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque- That's pretty much why I was on it.  I couldn't even function or get out of the house.  I was seeing a therapist along with it.  Almost 10 years ago I was in therapy and put on Ativan because of my first husband passing.  Couldn't function then either without an anxiety attack.
  • Thanks for the input @PoeMasque - I tried therapy a few years ago and the stress it caused by taking me away from my home time in the evenings actually made things worse for me.  Perhaps I didn't have the right therapist, but it was not a great solution for my family. I've been on and off of SSRI's over the past few years since my son was born in 2013 and it was a good short term solution to get me up out of the hole I was stuck in.  It's not something I want to be on forever, but at this point, it's getting pretty bad. 

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • @brigidjerrell thanks for posting this. I am currently on Celexa (ssri) for anxiety & ptsd. I have anxiety about weaning off if/when I get pregnant. Obviously you should consult with your dr, but my pcp told me if I needed to then I could take 1st & 2nd trimesters but stop for 3rd tri. I will be discussing with my ob/gyn when I go next week. I'm terrified to take it because of all the side effects it says it can have. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 10/21/11 EDD 06/22/12 natural m/c 11/03/11 6w6d

BFP#2 03/08/12 EDD 11/19/12 met our sweet boy @ 36w5d! 10/25/12!