Infertility
Options

New to Group! Not sure about my RE....IUI this month for Feb 27. Any advice?

Hi Everyone! Thanks for welcoming me to the February IUI group! I've been reading your posts this month and excited to join the disucssion. I'm 31 yo, DH is 32. We've been trying for 18 months. Saw an RE back in December, got all of the fertility tests and only thing that came up odd, was DH's morphology was 1%. Everything else looked A-ok. Started IUI in January with clomid (100 mg day 3 - 5).... on the 2nd U/S (CD 10) they said my lining was too thin and gave me estrace. My largest follicle was 15 mm. When I went back in a couple days, they told me the estrace had stunted my follicle growth. They then gave me three more days of clomid (100 mg). I went back, they said follicles hadn't grown and we had to cancel this cycle. So when my period was late, I went in and they did an U/S and told me I had a cyst. They said wait a week for us to 'start again.' At this point, I was really distrusting my RE. I got my period on day 41 (Feb 16) and when we went in for a cyst check U/S on the 17th, they said cyst is gone and we can try again, woohoo! However, both my husband and I were really skeptical. Will clomid work for us? We're paying for this all out of pocket and are worried that the lining will be thin again. At that point, Nurse #4 that we've seen said, "yeah, they shouldn't have given you estrace that early. Your follicles weren't over 16 mm and that was a mistake." I was so relieved to hear it wasn't our fault.... but mad at them for wasting 1K last month for nothing. This nurse convinced us to try again this month at a new regimen 100 mg days 3-7. Went in to get my prescription today and it's not at the pharmacy! I called the after hours line and they said they'd get it in...still not there yet.... I'm just so frustrated. I feel like it's already so hard to admit you need help and go see a Doctor, and then to have them mess up and not take care of us... I just feel like I'm already so disheartened and it's only our second IUI attempt! I know things could be much worse and am just wondering, do you love your RE? Do you trust them? Did anyone else have this estrace stunting follicle growth experience? Thanks for giving me some perspective.

Signed,
Frustrated. 
TTC History in Spolier:
Me: 32, DH: 33
Diagnosis: Me: Unexplained. Him: 1% morphology pre-washed.
IUI  - CANCELLED Jan IUI - 100 mg Clomid Days 3-7. Cancelled after Estrace stunted follicle growth. BFN 
IUI #1 - Feb/March, 2017 IUI - IUI+7 days Clomid+HCG trigger shot. March 1st IUI. 3/15 BFN
IUI # 2 - August, 2017 IUI -  7 days Clomid + HCG trigger shot. IUI on August 12. 8/26 BFN 
*TW* November 1st, BFP. Ended in MC @ 6 w 3 days. 11/20/17. **Natural Cycle with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs. 
IUI #3 Feb 24 2018, IUI + 7 days Clomid + HCG Trigger Shot. Feb 24 IUI. 3/12 BFN
*TW* 5/10/18 BFP/MC. Natural Cycle. 1st Beta 232, 2nd 850. No Fetal pole seen on U/S, 5/30/18. Medicated MC on 6/23. 
IVF #1, Stims begin on August 17th. ER, 8/28/18. 32 Eggs Retrieved, 18 mature, 18 Fertilized. 12 Day 5. 6 Blasts Tested Normal with CCS. 
FET 1, 11/6/19. 1 Embryo Transferred. NEG BETA 11/15
FET 2, 1/29. 1 Embryo to Transfer. +HPT 2/5. Beta 2/7 = 137, 2nd HCG = 317. MC at 6w4d. No fetal pole seen on U/S

Re: New to Group! Not sure about my RE....IUI this month for Feb 27. Any advice?

• Options
    Hi and sorry you have to be here and go through all this. Unfortunately, yes, frustrations, setbacks, delays and miscommunications happen often in this process. Clinics and REs can easily "mess up", mostly because they admit themselves sometimes that it's more of an art or trial and error, a lot of unknowns, and a lot of mixed/different opinions among REs. 
  • Options
    Thanks @bestofjoy. I appreciate the much-needed perspective and frankly it's helpful to know we're not alone. I guess I had this very naive and optimistic hope that an RE would just take us in their hands and we could let go and let them do their thing and it would work! I think it's hard to keep having to do so much work to advocate for ourselves. 
    TTC History in Spolier:
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    Diagnosis: Me: Unexplained. Him: 1% morphology pre-washed.
    IUI  - CANCELLED Jan IUI - 100 mg Clomid Days 3-7. Cancelled after Estrace stunted follicle growth. BFN 
    IUI #1 - Feb/March, 2017 IUI - IUI+7 days Clomid+HCG trigger shot. March 1st IUI. 3/15 BFN
    IUI # 2 - August, 2017 IUI -  7 days Clomid + HCG trigger shot. IUI on August 12. 8/26 BFN 
    *TW* November 1st, BFP. Ended in MC @ 6 w 3 days. 11/20/17. **Natural Cycle with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs. 
    IUI #3 Feb 24 2018, IUI + 7 days Clomid + HCG Trigger Shot. Feb 24 IUI. 3/12 BFN
    *TW* 5/10/18 BFP/MC. Natural Cycle. 1st Beta 232, 2nd 850. No Fetal pole seen on U/S, 5/30/18. Medicated MC on 6/23. 
    IVF #1, Stims begin on August 17th. ER, 8/28/18. 32 Eggs Retrieved, 18 mature, 18 Fertilized. 12 Day 5. 6 Blasts Tested Normal with CCS. 
    FET 1, 11/6/19. 1 Embryo Transferred. NEG BETA 11/15
    FET 2, 1/29. 1 Embryo to Transfer. +HPT 2/5. Beta 2/7 = 137, 2nd HCG = 317. MC at 6w4d. No fetal pole seen on U/S

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome @Manders85! Of course, nobody wants to find themselves here but it's such a comfort knowing you're not alone in all this! I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    @manders85 I just wanted to pop in and let you know we've had similar troubles with our RE. We've had prescriptions that didn't show up to the pharmacy when they should, we even had a nurse mistakenly tell us we had male factor infertility during a phone call, only to have them call us back later and tell us that it was a mistake and she had confused us with another couple. @bestofjoy is right, the variability of infertility treatment, and the lack of consensus between RE's on protocol really makes treatment a trial and error situation. I just try to remind myself that as much as it sucks, RE's and their staff are people too, and mistakes happen.

___

Me: 27, DH: 28

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN