April 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread 2/20

Anyone running into any issues? Or just need to vent?  Here's the place to do it! 

*Side note: Sorry I forgot to post this last week - feel free to post if you see I forget :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD Support Thread 2/20

• I've been having trouble with my fasting numbers since day one. The dr kept upping my glyburide dose at dinner time but it wasn't doing enough. The past 2 nights I tried taking it with my before bed snack and my numbers have been better. I hope this trend continues

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @dam0ne4 that's interesting - I've always been told to take my glyburide dose right before I go to bed. Hopefully that helps to fix your fasting numbers!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @dam0ne4 - I'm in the same boat with fasting numbers.  I just started glyburide last night and had the best post meal number of my life but then my fasting was the highest fasting number I've seen. 

What is everyone eating? I posted this elsewhere but I'm not so sure I can handle another helping of peanut butter or string cheese or greek yogurt.  The problem is this pregnancy I'm still a little adverse to most proteins but am forcing myself to eat chicken regularly. 

Also, I mentioned this on the facebook group, but if anyone is a second timer with GD, what was your experience with baby low blood sugar? I'm starting to get nervous about that (since you know, stress is so good for GD....)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @kcasset With DS, I was induced at 39 weeks (our practice won't let you go to 40 if you have GD).  It may have just been that I pushed for 1.5 hrs but when born, he was taken to the transitional NICU.  They were concerned he was too calm.  All in all he was fine and they were being cautious - however, his blood sugars were never an issue.  They did give him a little formula in the NICU to make sure his blood sugars didn't drop. 

As far as foods - I like the Glucerna shakes with string cheese in the mornings.  It's about all I can handle without my readings being too high.  Lunches I'm doing caprese salads at work (mozz cheese, tomatoes, basil and a little basalmic glaze) with either a fruit, yogurt, or something random (this is generally where my carbs are for lunch). Snacks tend to be honey graham crackers with peanut butter, cottage cheese with fruit or smart food popcorn (or regular popcorn) with string cheese. Sometimes I'll do a Yasso bar (like ice cream) at night or late afternoon snack. 

I will say that during delivery it never really seemed like my GD was considered that big of an issue.  I did bring my own lancet device and the few times they made me check they let me use mine.  It hurt WAYYY less than the hospital one!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So saw the dr today - I'm having to start weekly NSTs and BPPs (ultrasounds) starting this week.  Anyone else starting these at 32 weeks??? Seems so early! The ultrasounds are generally pretty fast so I don't mind those too much but the NSTs are just painful to sit through.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kcasset my older daughter had no sugar issues but I was diet controlled. I'm a little more worried this time because I'm on meds

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

• It's crazy how different everyone's Drs do things. I had no issues with DDs sugar levels last time.  I started NST with DD around 35 weeks (I think) and this time they haven't even been mentioned yet. My numbers are really not bad at all some actually low and I'm confident I can diet control it for now.. just worried about going on the steroids at the end..
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • I swear I started NSTs around 34-35 weeks with DS too @HappyAnjel .  Guess it's just lucky me that they are starting early this time... NOT. Haha - I'm still bitter that they forgot about me on the NST machine this morning. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd be mad if they forgot me too!
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • M&Max said:
    I swear I started NSTs around 34-35 weeks with DS too @HappyAnjel .  Guess it's just lucky me that they are starting early this time... NOT. Haha - I'm still bitter that they forgot about me on the NST machine this morning. 
    I think my doctor said I'd start at 34/35. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My twice weekly NSTs started at 33 weeks
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • So jealous of you mama's that don't have to start until a few weeks later!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It blows my mind how different everyone's doctors are...nothing has changed for me except that I check my blood sugar 4x per day. I am diet controlled and it's going well...but my doctor said no extra appointments would be necessary. She didn't mention being induced early or how long she would let me go.

HOWEVER, last week I saw a different doctor (mine was called away for surgery) and she talked about how she usually does an u/s around week 37 to check on baby's size...I'm going to bring this up to my doctor and push to have it done. It would a) put my mind at ease (although I am measuring behind) and b) Add some silver lining to this GD diagnoses...I wanna see my baby again :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Elgie that's exactly what we did last time for my daughter.. I diet controlled checked 4x a day and just had to send them the results once a week via email or drop off.. I went past my due date (by 3 days) and just had an ultrasound near the end.
     This time they're making me come in for weekly appointments.. I'm hoping they back off as my numbers aren't bad.. actually low if anything which brings me to my own question....

When do I worry my sugar being too low? Normally my fasting is normally pretty good I've been a few points lower and a few points higher than the goal (goal is 90-95.. normally 85-100) today I woke up with a 32.. obviously I ate right away and am waiting to test again.. I have an appointment today so I will ask them but anyone have any idea?
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • @kcasset - this is my second round, third kid.  #1 I did not have GD, but DS have low sugar so they gave him one bottle of formula.  It wasn't a huge deal.  GD with #2 and she was tested more often, but no issues with low blood sugar.  I was never told it was something to worry about.  In fact I didn't even know it was a thing until I joined a GD facebook group so I'm choosing to not worry this time around.  Out of my control either way.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • @HappyAnjel are you on medication?  34 is scary low.  Anything below 55 would make me call the doc ASAP.
  • @pammasu0909 - thank you.  That made me feel a lot better. The internet is a dreadful place while pregnant. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @elgie - So different! My doctors are very on it and I've had a lot of extra appointments.  I THINK it might be in part because my daughter was a good weight even without GD (thanks, 6'4 husband), and they are worried about this one getting to big (she's already measuring 3ish weeks ahead). The silver lining (???) is that I already was going to have a c-section at 39 weeks so worse case scenario I'll have to move it up a week or two. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @pammasu0909 no I'm diet controlled.. I've never had a number that off.. I called the Dr and she thinks it may have been a bad read.. she said if it's ever that low again rinse my hands (which I do before testing anyway) and test again (and obviously eat) after eating my number was up to 108 so nothing to worry about anymore.. I'm going to see her in half an hour.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Has anyone addressed with doctor how long to follow the diet after pregnancy? I was told that I will be at a higher risk for developing diabetes later in life so it is kind of a wake up call. I will have about 30 lbs to lose after the pregnancy. I'm wondering once I get down to a normal weight if I can start introducing more carbs. I really miss eating pizza. But also I will have to get life insurance after the baby and do not want to screw that up.
  • @hb7 I loosely followed the diet after my first pregnancy and lost 40 lbs from my prepregnancy weight. (Running and weight lifting helped too) I wasn't as strict - beer, pizza, and Mac and cheese were definitely worked into the diet! 

I'm going to do it again after this pregnancy

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

• @hb7 I was never told I had to follow the diet after.  I was tested around 6 weeks pp to make sure everything was good and then I ate whatever I wanted.  I'm genetically predisposed to getting diabetes, so I'm doing what I can to avoid it while still enjoying the foods I like before I can't have them anymore :)
  • @hb7 - I was told to have my A1C levels checked about a year after birth and at subsequent annual exams - this will tell you if you're truly pre-diabetic or if it was a placenta-driven diagnosis. You may or may not be at a higher risk, it all depends what other risk factors you have. Also, diabetics can have pizza!! I know it might seem really scary, but I have to say - I'm ultimately happy I got the GD diagnosis because my mood has significantly elevated and I feel a lot more like myself since getting my blood sugar in check.  You don't want to live a life where you feel out of sorts. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Today's vent.  I had a salad with one serving of pretzel sticks for lunch yesterday.  BS was 131.  Had the same salad with a serving of pretzel rods today.  BS was 108.  Sigh.
  • Just got back from the ultrasound - baby girl is measuring ahead, not so far ahead that they are concerned but curious to see how next week looks in comparison.  I'm guessing they may end up inducing a week earlier than I was expecting.  Better get my life together and get this house ready for baby!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Today's vent.  I had a salad with one serving of pretzel sticks for lunch yesterday.  BS was 131.  Had the same salad with a serving of pretzel rods today.  BS was 108.  Sigh.
    I hate this.  The doctor told me it's stress related in those situations, but it's still massively annoying because you're like, "well I would've had a cookie if I had know it was going to be so high." 
    BabyFruit Ticker