March 2017 Moms

Labor Kickstarters

Gators&BoSoxGators&BoSox member
edited February 2017 in March 2017 Moms
With everyone's due date fast approaching (or passing!!) this is sure to be a hot topic. Of course, a simple google search will give you lots of options but I figure we could use this to list any lesser known ideas and keep the board organized. Also, I thought it could be interesting/helpful if ladies who did try any natural labor inducers gave insight as to what they think worked/didn't work for them personally. And as always, questions are welcome :)

Re: Labor Kickstarters

• Anyone try using a breast pump? Is that safe? Is there any risk of messing up BF by starting milk supply too early?

There was someone on my first BMB who had started pumping actual milk at like 28 weeks and everyone freaked out bc it could induce labor. Labor isn't risky for me now but I don't want to screw up BF.
  • Loading the player...
  • @nicklesb i've never heard of a spleen massage but it certainly doesn't sound comfortable lol
  • @Gators&BoSox It's done 4 inches above your ankle. It's an acupressure point. It's not relaxing but also not painful :) It's just tender there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also if you're in Los Angeles, my OB told me about this labor-inducing salad (in Studio City): https://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/maternity-greens-caioti-pizza-cafes-labor-inducing-salad-2376676
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cbeanz said:
    Anyone try using a breast pump? Is that safe? Is there any risk of messing up BF by starting milk supply too early?

There was someone on my first BMB who had started pumping actual milk at like 28 weeks and everyone freaked out bc it could induce labor. Labor isn't risky for me now but I don't want to screw up BF.
    Nipple stimulation is generally not recommended because it can cause crazy contractions. You don't have to pump. You just stimulate your nips. In fact, pumping might provide more stress than just a kid nursing. I think your body would continue to make colostrum until after baby's birth though. The change from colostrum to milk happens because of labor, not nursing. After all, plenty of women nurse their toddlers throughout pregnancy and then tandem nurse after. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hippiemama it is so delicious with the cinnamon, but I'm scarred for life from how well it worked lol! Just take it easy and I hope your experience with it is better :)  Allow at least 4 hours between cups if you can or just do one big one a day if you must! 
  • I've heard it's really the boiled cinnamon sticks that cause the contractions, anyone know?
  • @disneybaby84 i don't know for sure but that's what i've heard. although throwing chocolate into the mix surely can't hurt right?  ;)
  • Thanks @silverbulletband. I'll pick some up after lunch with hubs (which, not coincidentally, is Mexican AGAIN!)
  • someone want to talk to me about the spicy food theory. Do I need a particular nationality of food, a particular spice?
  • @disneybaby84 I think spicy food might just irritate the bowel which can possibly trigger uterine contractions? That's the explanation I've been given 
  • Basil and oregano are other spices that are supposed to get things going
  • I haven't tried it personally, but I hear strawberry pie does the trick. Sounds silly to me, but my aunt's friend absolutely swears by it.
  • @ShannonJ96 Strawberry pie sounds divine ! 
  • @Gators&BoSox hahaha that would so be my husband if that happens for us!
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks to you ladies I'm now on the Dates & RRL tea bandwagon. Have already eaten my dates today. I had some tea last night before bed and it was really relaxing until the period like cramping began (lol). I'm going to make it a daily habit now.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @RunBooRun
    Be careful with those dates. I love them and they're a regular part of my diet. However, if you overdo it with them, you'll regret it. Trust me when I say there's no stomach ache like the one you'll get from eating too many dates.

How does the red raspberry leaf tea taste? 
  • @RunBooRun
    Be careful with those dates. I love them and they're a regular part of my diet. However, if you overdo it with them, you'll regret it. Trust me when I say there's no stomach ache like the one you'll get from eating too many dates.

How does the red raspberry leaf tea taste? 
    It's not bad. It tastes like your standard black tea. I'm such a tea snob that I'll get bored with it soon, but its really not bad.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• nicklesb said:
    My doula's list: 1) Sex (V-Position or Spooning), 2) Evening Primrose Oil (1500mg per day orally), 3) Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (3 cups/day), 4) Turtle walking (super slow to let baby drop) 35 mins at a time - 2 hrs max/day,  5) Red Vinaigrette Dressing (aka Balsamic), 6) Dates (eating kind), 7) Spleen 6 Massage done by partner (google for videos) - 10 mins daily. 
    I used 2, 3, 5, and spicy foods
  • Truth about the dates: dates, like prunes, have a lot of fiber!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina will be so helpful for the post birth poop!
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You know, my first poop post birth was no big deal. Everyone acted like it would be awful, but I just....pooped like normal. I think maybe the nurse gave me a stool softener in the hospital, but I honestly can't remember. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well, I just shoveled our giant back deck that was covered in a foot of snow and ice while DD played in the puddles. We'll see if that helps anything get started or just was helpful way to take up some of my afternoon. Clearly getting really bored waiting over here. Hah.
  • haha @kjd291 my back hurts just thinking about that! i was going to walk DS to the store today but was afraid of what that would do the bowling ball between my legs
  • haha @kjd291 my back hurts just thinking about that! i was going to walk DS to the store today but was afraid of what that would do the bowling ball between my legs
    Is it bad I'm jealous of your bowling ball?? Hahah. My girl STILL hasn't dropped! No lower pelvic pressure at all! I'm trying to trust my MW saying baby might not drop till IN labor... but it feels like I have a ways to go :/
  • @kjd291 Truth! Second babies often don't drop until you are already in labor.  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kjd291 i think I'm in the minority being a STM with a dropped baby. i'm sure she's just a sweetheart and saving you the trouble of waddling til the very end  ;)