April 2017 Moms

Dresser/Changing Table Organization

I'm a huge organizer, but for some reason I'm at a loss for how to organize the dresser and changing table. How are you guys organizing all of baby's things? Blankets, burp clothes, diapers, wipes, lotions, hats, socks, clothes! I feel like there is just so much and I'm not sure where to put anything so that it will be the most useful. With DS, it was just kind of "there" since he shared a room with us. I'd like to have Samuel's room a little more organized.

Feel free red to share pictures of your organization and/or links of helpful blogs and websites. 
Me: 29 DH: 33
Married: 5/30/2013
DSS #1: 5/25/2007
DSS #2: 1/22/2011
DS #3: 7/8/2012
BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
DS #4: 4/21/17

Re: Dresser/Changing Table Organization

• I'm overwhelmed by the stuff too. I figure I'll probably just get into a groove once she's here and put things where it's logical. For a "dresser" I bought a 12 cube shelving thing with those fabric cubes to go inside. Someone got the changing table off my registry--it's a basic table so I'll get baskets for the shelves underneath for diapers and wipes etc. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Loading the player...
  • I also use organiser boxes in the wardrobe.  As for changing table, I just realised I needed something that's level with it to put products on.  Thinking about a solution!
    Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
    My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
    Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
    Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)
  • I bought a dresser with a lot of smaller sized drawers rather than a few big drawers so I could organize by size/type of item better. I put shelves with bins on either side of the dresser for things like crib linens, changing pad covers, blankets, burp cloths etc. I'm hoping the organization will work well but I'm sure I will shift things around a bit once he's here and I know what I use most often. We did the changing pad on top of the dresser to save space in our tiny nursery.
  • We also use those storage bins from Ikea for organization. Here's what ultimately worked best for our setup with DS. We have a separate, 3 drawer dresser and one of the cribs with the changing table attached with 3 drawers underneath and 3 shelves on the side behind the drawers.

In the dresser:
    Top drawer is current sized baby clothes in the bins. I had bins for onesies, pants, sleepers, and socks to keep things organized. "Fancy" clothes and jackets/outerwear we hung up in the closet. To save space, I rolled the onesies.
    Middle drawer is "next stage" clothes, sorted by size, and again stored in the bins. When he started to outgrow one size, I could just swap the bins, pack up the old clothes, and then reload them with the next size up. We actually had a lot of stuff in this drawer because we had a TON of hand-me-downs.
    Bottom drawer was blankets, comforters, lovies, etc.

In the changing table: (the link shows a crib similar to ours...I couldn't find ours exactly)
    Top drawer is diaper change supplies, sorted into the bins (diapers, wipes, creams, etc.) as well as a small first aid kit with the Nose Frida, thermometer, nail clippers, tylenol, etc.
    Middle drawer is burp clothes and bibs.
    Bottom drawer is crib sheets and water proof pads for the crib.
    Top shelf has a basket with breastfeeding supplies (nipple cream, breast pads, etc.), and the other shelves just had decor/toys on them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited February 2017
    Our nursery is small so our changing pad is on top of the dresser. There is room for a basket with about 2 days worth of diapers, a pack of wipes, and diaper creams within reach too. All other diapers and lotions are kept on shelving in the closet. 

In the drawers(there are 6)- the top two have current size onesies and pants. The other has socks/hats/mittens. The two drawers under the current size clothes have the next 2 sizes up and I rotate everything as needed- essential for DH to only put LO in proper fitting clothing, lol. 
    The other 2 drawers have changing pad covers, sheets, sheet savers, bopie covers and the like. 

The rest of the clothes- sleepers, night gowns, coats, etc- are all hung in the closet. (ETA- I try to keep this rotated too and hung by size and style)

I also have a 9 cube storage shelf with 4 canvas bins. The 4 bins each hold one of the following- bibs, burp cloths, swaddles, blankets. Makes for easy folding/organizing and all of one thing is kept together. The open cubes have toys, books, and decor. Big blankets and quilts are kept in the closet too, or on the back of the glider for quick reach MOTN. 

This is worked well for us with DS, so we are doing the same thing for DD. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I will also add that DS lived in his PNP for the first few weeks- we have the one with the 2 sided topper/bassinet- so we kept supplies there too- usually enough onesies and burp cloths for a day or two, and then I'd restock so there were supplies at each changing station. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My kids live in sleepers the first few weeks, so I have sleepers in one dresser drawer, onesies and shorts/pants below that, sheets/blankets/mattress protectors below that.  In the changing table, the top shelf is diapers, lotions, first aid, etc with the wipes container on top.  My DD loves kicking/throwing anything near the changing pad so the more I put in the drawers the better.  Under that drawer is one with socks, tights, shoes, and other accessories.  Bottom drawer had burp clothes, bibs, changing table liners and covers. "Dress" clothes hang in the closet and I have a bin in the closet for next size up clothes.

It's really trial and error.  Set it up, see how it works, and change as needed :) 

Also, @smallanimal, we used a rubbermaid 3 drawer bin thing next to DS's changing table to put stuff on.  It was slightly lower, so it made it harder for him to grab/kick/destroy whatever we had on top, then we put diapers, extra wipes, etc in the drawers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • This is a great thread... I have been struggling with organization! DH and I have a dresser picked out, but since we're moving so soon after LO is born we decided not to get it until after we move. So I bought a large-ish three-drawer plastic cabinet which currently holds her onesies, pants, sleepers, socks, hats, etc and it is FULL.... Lord help us if we get more 0-3 month clothes!!  We will hang up "fancy" clothes in the office closet. 

Then I've been trying to clear out space in DH's and my dressers (one drawer in each) plus in a chest of drawers downstairs to hold things that make sense for us to have stored in that room. For example, swaddles and burp cloths in my dresser close to her pack n'play and the glider, and receiving blankets, a few toys, burp cloths, carriers/sling in the living room close to front door.  We're also going to have two changing stations (one upstairs, one downstairs) but I don't know exactly where those will go yet.  I have a diaper caddy for each one that my SIL gave us.  Basically, I know that any attempts at organization I make now will be super temporary and are highly subject to change.  :)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • With DS he had a dresser that doubled as a changing table.  I had a changing pad on top and a diaper organizer (munchkin I think) on top as well that held diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and a bottle of lotion.  The top two drawers of the dresser were side by side and smaller.  One held socks and little mittens, the ther held binkies.  I bought storage baskets from Target to organize the rest of his drawers and his closets and still use them because toddler clothes still aren't all that big.  Blankets, swaddles, Pjs, and pants were all stored in baskets.  I hung shirts in his closet.  

I used an Ikea storage shelf (Kallax) and cube storage bins to hold things like extra hats, clothes that were too big, extra wipes, etc.  That was across the bottom of his closet.

Since we are going to be moving right around my due date I have no nursery set up this time around, but will likely do something similar once we get into our new home.  
  • For DS, we had the changing pad on top of his dresser. Then there was a basket that I kept diaper cream and stuff in. Top 2 drawers were diapers and wipes and extra sheets for the changing pad. Ubbi diaper pail was next to the dresser so I could just toss the diapers without going anywhere. We'LL be doing the same setup this time, but we're moving it into our room.

• Below is what we used for DD and will continue to use for this little one. 

-top of dresser contains changing pad, container of wipes, lamp (dresser is tucked into a cutout in the room so needdd the light for late night diaper changes), and a basket holding approx 10-15 diapers, diaper cream, and lotions
    -drawer immediately below changing pad holds extra diapers, wipes, and changing pad liners (we only have one changing pad cover and used washable  liners from Munchkin for easy cleanup after accidents)
    -drawer below basket contains socks, hair accessories, hats (for infancy), and a small first aid kit with nail clippers, Nose Frida, boogie wipes, etc
    -for the first few months, the bottom four drawers held blankets, swaddles, and sleepsacks in one, current size clothes in another, and next size clothing in the bottom two. All other items (nursing products, extra paci's, toys, extra lotions, etc) live in the closet in a 9 cube organizer. 
    -outfits and dresses hang in closet organized by size and style (ex. NB outfits together, NB dresses together)
    -Now that DD is older and her clothes take up more space, the bottom four drawers are pajamas, swimsuits & cover ups (oh hey Florida!), current size tops, and current size bottoms
    DD March 2015
    Baby #2 due April 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS we had the below and will do the same with this kiddo:

Dresser with changing pad on top - Oxo wipes container (seriously, wipes stay super moist forever in this thing) and diaper cream to the right

Top 2 drawers have Ikea organizers with diapers, extra diaper cream, changing pad covers, swaddles, hats, and mittens. - this gets adapted as they get older to also have swimsuits

Next 2 drawers have PJs in one and onesies/tops in the other
    Bottom 2 drawers have pants/shorts and the other has the next size outfits just for storage

The most important thing is to make sure what you need when changing baby is super close by so you never have to leave them.  Whatever works best for you is the best option!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HGRich I tried to change diapers with DD's head going the "other" way for a while and it was SOOOO confusing! We don't have a huge dresser that serves as a changing table otherwise, I'd store wipes on both sides of the changing pad. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @cafedisco I had not even considered that! I'm a leftie and DH is a rightie- I can see how that would get really frustrating not having things close by!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker