June 2017 Moms

The Nursery Thread

Re: The Nursery Thread

• Ok, DH is bailing on me about building the dresser (which is fine, he's totally overextended on house projects as it is), so I'm looking for some inexpensive ones online.

Is anyone considering the IKEA Tarva dresser?  It's a 6 drawer, unfinished IKEA dresser.  I'm thinking I'll paint the exterior white, and the fronts of the drawers a turquoise.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• @krex We just ordered one off of Amazon that is pretty inexpensive and has good reviews. Here's the link: https://a.co/7fqwp3g
    I have no actual experience with it yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @krex Your ideas for painting the dresser sound so cute and personal! I love Ikea.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Did anyone else find out recently or the hard way that you apparently are supposed to wait to install vinyl decals for ~ 30 days after painting?  I'm so disappointed that I have to wait!
  • @michaela0704 didn't know that - i'm not planning on putting up decals, but bummer!

• @michaela0704 that's news to me! I was going to go with a decal but found something else I liked so decided against it. At least we have time Tom the babies are born! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Did anyone else find out recently or the hard way that you apparently are supposed to wait to install vinyl decals for ~ 30 days after painting?  I'm so disappointed that I have to wait!
    I've never heard that; I usually wait 24-48 hours after the final coat and I've never had an issue.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • danijo said:
    @krex We just ordered one off of Amazon that is pretty inexpensive and has good reviews. Here's the link: https://a.co/7fqwp3g
    I have no actual experience with it yet.
    I have this dresser for DD (so for 4 years). Minor things have chipped, but overall, great for a kid's room. We are now going to use it for DS and got the same brand of tall dresser for DD to replace it. 

• @michaela0704 I didn't know this and definitely didn't wait in DD's room. It is only writing though (quote from Dumbledore) so maybe because it is smaller?

• @graceriesz Nice work!! I agree that the pink carpet must go, haha!

• @graceriesz Nice work!! I agree that the pink carpet must go, haha!

Whatever...that pink carpet is what MAKES the room. 

That said, @graceriesz, the paint job look wonderful and I can't wait to see more!!  We're also putting new carpet in soon (though not in the nursery, it actually has newer flooring it in), so I definitely understand the excitement over new carpet! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @wifeinraleigh28 @krex When we moved in to this house my mom dubbed this room the "raspberry room" and the other spare room the "blueberry room" can you guess what color is in there? :D  It's getting the same neutral very soft carpet the nursery is getting 

@krex I say if you find a cool hook, go from the wall. 
  • @graceriesz, I figure, no matter where I hang it, the cats are going to think it's their toy.  I know once the baby is here they'll be too scared of the kid to step foot in the room, but for now i'm worried it'll be destroyed before we even get that far!

BabyFruit Ticker

• krex said:
    @graceriesz, I figure, no matter where I hang it, the cats are going to think it's their toy.  I know once the baby is here they'll be too scared of the kid to step foot in the room, but for now i'm worried it'll be destroyed before we even get that far!
    Put aluminum foil down on the crib mattress now.  Your cats won't like to walk on it and it will deter them from going into the crib (and accessing the mobile).
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • @krex I love what you have going on so far! And I see your kitty has already claimed the rocking chair, haha. I was under the impression that mobiles attached to the side of the crib, is that not always the case? If not, then I say attach it to the wall.

• Xath said:
    Put aluminum foil down on the crib mattress now.  Your cats won't like to walk on it and it will deter them from going into the crib (and accessing the mobile).
    I've never heard that before.... but I am definitely going to try it! My cat has already tried to claim the napper portion of the pack and play! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • If the foil doesn't work, you can try double sided tape too. That's what I'm planning on doing for the baby's bassinet since our kittens are weird and like foil. Lol for the swing we are one of dds dolls in there to keep them off and I turned it on when they were in the room and it freaked them out, so I don't think they will try sleeping on it. 
  • To keep the cats and cat hair off of the pack n play and swing, we just have them covered with a sheet for now. When it gets closer I'll take the sheets off and see if they try to jump in or not. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @alm52386,I guess you re-did the back of the letters? They look great!
  • @wifeinraleigh28 - the traditional ones that you get at places like BBB and BRU do.  This is one from Etsy, so there's no hook that attaches it to the crib.  Just a string that I can hang it from a hook somewhere.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @alm52386,I guess you re-did the back of the letters? They look great!
    I did! And this time I used cut up garbage bags around the stencils instead of just tape so nothing would leak through! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @krex, we had one like that and we used a ceiling hook. It's big so I hung it off in the corner so it's close enough to the crib to be seen but not dangle over.
  • Nicely done @graceriesz! Such a nice, soothing theme...

Turns out my in laws are taking us to Ethan Allen in a few minutes, and they've been very spend happy when it comes to their first grand child lately... DH and I are both Disney fans and Ethan Allen has a whole Disney partnership thing going on right now for nursery stuff. I'm curious to see what we end up with!

(Disclaimer: Ethan Allen is WAY overpriced and there is no way we would even THINK about stepping foot in their typically...)

• Thanks @wifeinraleigh28 going to keep the rest of the room pretty neutral but thinking of doing a floral bedding, well see what I come up with! Just happy we are ready for carpet now! Happy shopping! 

• @graceriesz, looks great! Doing a wall mural was about all the "decorating" that our room can fit (and that I can handle)...I'm sure you're so glad that this big project is done! Awesome job!
  • @graceriesz, it looks amazing!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • looks fantastic @graceriesz!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• O wow! I love it @graceriesz!!

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • @LAMCH1980 that's so cute! I love it! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @LAMCH1980 so cute! Where did you get that lamp? I love it. 
  • @graceriesz, I found it at homegoods. They have something similar in a bronzy color at Wal-Mart too. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @LAMCH1980 thank you! I'm on the hunt! 
  • Ok, I need advice! We have a 3 bedroom house, but the third room is TINY (typical for a Philly area row home). The size isn't really an issue, we have a mini crib and I'm trying to be smart about furniture, I am, however, stuck on what to do with my wall. 
    One side of the room has a stone wall, so drilling into it is a pain. The previous owners were artists, and left a lot of their hanging fixtures when it came to this wall. In the nursery, they had one of their paintings hung over the crib with a 2 foot long but skinny piece of wood used to really secure the canvas. Below are both sides of the room. One side has cork board, the other this wood piece. The wood piece is still there  and I am trying to either figure out a creative way to use it or if I would feel more comfortable taking it out so whatever I put up doesn't accidently fall into the crib. BTW this is the wall for the crib because the other wall is kind of curved. Anyway, I can't believed I'm this stumped, but taking it down will cause giant holes and be a bit if a pain and I'm wondering if any of you put canvas or something over the crib and feel like it's fine or if it's a complete no no.

Also, please don't judge the pics! I've been on pelvic rest and hubs has been so busy that we've had almost zero time for the nursery, but I'm hoping to really dig in there soon! 
  • @kcrocetto27, I'd honestly just put up a canvas print and call it a day.