August 2017 Moms

This is Us Discussion - "Jack Pearson's Son" 2/14

***General warning, spoilers will follow***

Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out?

Toby & Kate - "Deep Dive” and taking extra time before getting married…thoughts here?  Why do you think Kate is so deeply hit by her dad's death?

Randall - his “handling” of stress, how concerning is this to you?

Jack’s blowup about Rebecca’s ex, warranted?

Kevin - leaving the play to go to Randall.  Did it surprise you?

Other thoughts or questions?

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: This is Us Discussion - "Jack Pearson's Son" 2/14

• Dang, you're quick getting this up!

Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out? I'm glad she told him off, but what a douche canoe he is to think he can just do and say whatever he wants bc his parents own the place. Sense of entitlement much? It's sad that something as dumb as that would get Kate kicked out, especially when the rule is that she could leave whenever she wants. I feel like they're always sabotaging her weight loss journey so far in the season.

Toby & Kate - "Deep Dive” and taking extra time before getting married…thoughts here?  Why do you think Kate is so deeply hit by her dad's death? I'm glad they're taking time and not rushing into things and that they're trying to get to know each other better. They both have a lot of emotional baggage to deal with and I think getting everything out in the open before jumping into marriage is a good thing. I felt like showing Jack at the end eating the cheeseburger and having a drink is foreshadowing- not necessarily that something's going to happen bc of his drinking that night, but that it's the start of him increasing his drinking again once Rebecca's gone on tour.

Randall - his “handling” of stress, how concerning is this to you? I feel for him. His anxiety is something that goes back to his childhood from the flashbacks and it seems likehe's been able to cope with it in certain ways, besides his break down when he was starting his job. I think it's a lot to handle for him now that William is in the picture and it's just an added stressor so everything is catching up to him again.

Jack’s blowup about Rebecca’s ex, warranted?  I think it was semi-warranted because I feel like that's something Rebecca should have told him especially if they are going on tour together. While it may seem insignificant to her because it was so long ago, I'd want to know if my husband was going on tour with someone that they dated regardless of how long ago it was. Especially when the guy seems to show so much interest in Rebecca.

Kevin - leaving the play to go to Randall.  Did it surprise you?  I was not surprised once he was thinking about what Miguel told him to do what his dad would do. I'm glad that this time he went to go and comfort Randall instead of like the flashback or he just ignored it.

Other thoughts or questions?  I only cried a little bit this week when Kevin was comforting Randall at the end. But based off the previews, next week is going to be a sob fest for me.

• Loading the player...

• Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out?  Loved Kate telling him off and thought it showed her strength  I feel many of us thought she was going to see him and something else was going to happen, so glad they didn't go there  

Toby & Kate - "Deep Dive” and taking extra time before getting married…thoughts here?  Why do you think Kate is so deeply hit by her dad's death?

Seems like they need extra time.  If you can't share deeply personal things with someone you are about to marry, that is a trust issue.  

I agree with PP in that she was close to her dad and maybe somehow feels responsible  

Randall - his “handling” of stress, how concerning is this to you?  Very concerning. When he had that tear falling down his cheek during that business review, I can see writing in the wall that his job is in serious jeopardy

Jack’s blowup about Rebecca’s ex, warranted?  Yes, she should have told him they had some sort of relationship in the past.  Jack can see the way her ex looks at her and Rebecca doesn't see it.  He doesn't trust the ex and i don't think I would want them on tour together either!

Kevin - leaving the play to go to Randall.  Did it surprise you?  I figured he was not going to go out there, but was surprised he went to Randall.  Cue the waterworks because I lost it when he walked in and saw his brother like that and then just pulled him in.  Especially when seeing the flashback and watching him do nothing!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Finally watched the episode. I had to wait & watch it with the hubby when he woke up (he works 3rd shift). I can't "show cheat" on him!

Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out?

I'm so glad she told him off, but what an ass to get her kicked out. Oh well, I'm glad that storyline is over!

Yes, they don't need to rush into the marriage; they're already engaged. I loved their Q&A. I'm wondering why Kate was so concerned about Toby's depression - it made me wonder for a minute if Jack commits suicide. But then, I can't see him doing that to his family. Maybe Jack's depression over Rebecca caused him to drink more & more, and he could've died from alcoholic liver disease, or a drunk driving accident. I wish they'd stop dancing around it, dammit! So much anticipation! 

I'm very concerned about Randall. I have similar anxiety, and combined with insomnia, I've had a "mental break down". It's no joke. He needs to take a month or two off work, no matter how much it hurts his pride. It looks like he may be doing just that in next week's episode. It looks like a tear-jerker for sure!

Absolutely. My husband & I watched the episode together, and he commented on how upset he'd be if that situation happened to us. I totally agree, she should have told him that when she first started with the band. Withholding that kind of information is basically lying IMO.

It didn't surprise me he left, but it did surprise me that he went to Randall. I bawled like a little baby. My hubby was laughing at me. I'm glad Kevin's character seems to be growing up a little more each episode. He's really trying to find himself right now. I hope he & Chloe work out. But so much for the play though, right?! Hope they had an understudy! 

I also enjoyed the conversation between Kevin & Miguel. Even though Miguel seems like a douche canoe, my husband pointed out that he hasn't done anything wrong. Yet. 

Still professing my love for Toby, and his fashion sense! :D I really hope they work out. 

I REALLY want to know how & when Rebecca & Miguel get together. I think they are gonna stretch out these storylines (and Jack's death) since they've already ordered 2 more seasons. I'm obsessed with this show!

• @PinkPrincessPiper I totally agree with you!  We all want to
    have these answers now, but if they did that what would be left for the next two seasons!  It's going to take a while to get to all the answers. If not, the next couple seasons would be total re-writes. 
  • Question.... do we know for a fact that Miguel and Rebecca are in fact married and romantically involved?  Hearing the way Miguel spoke so fondly of Jack almost made me wonder if the two of them are really just friends and companions,  bonded over Jack, and spending so much time together bc they are the closest thing they have left to Jack.  I don't recall ever seeing them romantic with each other.  Sure, the kids call him Grandpa, but that doesn't mean anything.....

I dunno.  Just my random thought.  Maybe I'm just missing something and they are clearly married.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Question.... do we know for a fact that Miguel and Rebecca are in fact married and romantically involved?  Hearing the way Miguel spoke so fondly of Jack almost made me wonder if the two of them are really just friends and companions,  bonded over Jack, and spending so much time together bc they are the closest thing they have left to Jack.  I don't recall ever seeing them romantic with each other.  Sure, the kids call him Grandpa, but that doesn't mean anything.....

I dunno.  Just my random thought.  Maybe I'm just missing something and they are clearly married.  
    The writers have definitely made it clear they're together. After all, Kevin & Miguel are having that conversation at Miguel & Rebecca's house, as in co-habitation. Living together read: romantically involved. Showing up at the family Thanksgiving dinner together & getting to wear "the hat" read: seriously romantically involved. 
  • Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out?

She doesn't need to be there. She needed to realize it's going to take time and effort, plus the ability to drown other things and people out. Duke is an ass.

I was so worried that he had second thoughts and was going to break up with her. It's a good idea to wait, but they are 36 and if there's anything I know about age is that it makes you afraid, particularly about trying for kids! I'm not sure about Jack's effect on Kate other than he protected her.

He's not doing well, but I was happy to see both him and Kevin tackling anxiety and Toby  and Kate discussing depression.

Yup. Spending time alone with an ex, no matter how long ago, is a no-no... even if you "cleared" it with your partner.

He keeps screwing up!!! I know his brother needed him, but the guy just blew it. It was a no-win situation.

Other thoughts or questions? Can't wait until next week!

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Kate - telling Duke off!  What do you think of her getting kicked out?

I'm so glad she didn't hook up with him.  But for real, I'd go to mom and dad and say, "your son is trying to blackmail me into sleeping with him."  So that little bit annoyed me because it was so unrealistic.

It's good and some of those questions are things that any normal person would discuss with their future spouse.  Like whether or not they want kids.  The really deep stuff is good too and I see why they think Kate should be able to talk about her dad, but there are some really deep seeded issues there and she clearly has pushed those emotions way down.  That conversation feels like one she should have with her therapist, not her fiancé over coffee.  I also cannot wait to get those answers as to how Jack died and how Miguel came into the picture.  I wonder if Kate was involved somehow too, maybe he was rushing to get to something of hers or maybe she did see it.  The show can still continue once we know how he died, it doesn't mean we can no longer flash back to when he was still alive.

I really feel for Randall and the amount of stress he's putting on himself.  What I can't understand is why his wife doesn't seem to be helping him, making him skip his work meeting last week and him not being able to call her to deal with the hospice nurse when he knew he had something important to work on.  I guess I just don't believe he'd be so careless with his career when he does suffer from so much anxiety and puts all that pressure on himself. 

Eh, it was a slight overreaction.  I'm sure he was pissed he had to find out the way he did, but to let it totally ruin their entire night and then to go eat their planned meal alone?  Pull yourself together, man.

I also thought this was sweet and I'm glad he's turning into a real brother after all this time.  Definitely made me teary.  Although I was wondering why he couldn't at least warn someone he wasn't going to go stand on his mark! 

Miguel made me cry!  His little speech was so sweet and touching.

The writers have definitely made it clear they're together. After all, Kevin & Miguel are having that conversation at Miguel & Rebecca's house, as in co-habitation. Living together read: romantically involved. Showing up at the family Thanksgiving dinner together & getting to wear "the hat" read: seriously romantically involved. 
    Oh I totally know that they live together, and all of those things happened.  I've just never actually seen them be romantic together so I was thinking it might have been some kind of a twist.   Who knows,  lol.  These writers are great and always have something up their sleeve.... I can't wait until it all starts to unravel so we can learn what happened to jack and how Miguel gets into the family.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ok, I agree with most of the comments above. My random question is what do you think of Rebecca leaving to go on tour? This maybe a UO but I think it's selfish. I couldn't imagine leaving my family just to satisfy a personal wish/want of mine. But then part of me thinks she maybe running away from some issues at home.

I was reading some random This is us fan blog and a lot of people think Jack dies from drinking or in a drunk driving accident. What do you think? I have no idea but I don't really think it has to do with his drinking.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok  i feel like his death is going to be alcohol related also.  They focused so much on that drink and his face in that scene, i just feel like it was a big clue to his death.  Probably wrong though because that's maybe what they want us to think and it will be something completely different.  This show is good at twists in the storylines!
  • Also agree with the comments above.. @britvahok @sgrant432 I wonder if Rebecca goes on tour and then Jack gets super depressed and dies while she's away... and maybe Kate finds him or something traumatic?? She definitely seems the most affected by his death like others said. Although I do wonder if they'll make us wait until next season to find out what happens. Whenever Kate started to talk about it with Toby I got so excited! And then....nothing. 

@NYTino24 I'm happy to see you here :smile: Hope you are doing well!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gahh just got to finish the episode!!
    Kate-- I was kinda surprised when Duke said his parents own the place. But then I wasnt lol. I'm almost glad she got kicked out. I just hope she realized what issues she needs to work on before she left. 
    Kate & Toby--i think it's a great idea that they're taking some time to really get to know each other before getting married. They both seem to have some really deep issues that need to be talked about and worked on. I hope they still get married though, I love them together! 
    Randall--Oh man this guy needs some good coping skills. He bottles everything up and tries to be everyone's big shoulders to lean on. He can't do that anymore. He has so much going on around him, he needs to take the time to handle and deal with each thing. Poor guy, my heart really hurts for him. 
    Jack--i think he blew it a tiny bit out of proportion, but he also had it building up that he didn't want her on tour. I think I would have reacted the exact same way had I been in his shoes. 
    Kevin-- I'm not surprised that he didn't go on stage, but I honestly thought he was running to Sophie at first. When it was Randall, I definately shed a few tears! So so sweet. Him and Randall have had a really rocky relationship. I'm so glad he's there for him now when nobody else is. (because they don't know to be)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12  I was super excited when Toby asked Kate about her dad too!!  Its so morbid to be excited to learn about how someone died.  But i should have seen it coming that they weren't going to let us know that easily!
    Me:34 DH:39
    Me: A-Okay!
    DH: 0-1% morphology
    Married: 5/2008  <3
    TTC: 5/2009 
    **TW--BFP**
    2013: IUI x1 Failed
    10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
    10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
    11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
    12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ***lurking***

@taylormarie923. I kwym about Randall's wife.  I thought that was super-weird when she insisted that he go to some boring chess tourney - <i>that she was going to be attending </i>- and tell him he still had to miss an important client dinner??? I mean, like does she not know the kind of job her husband has?  How critical those client relationships are?  They have a pretty kooshy life and she may be in for a shock if they suddenly were to lose his income.

But!  I do think the nurse had to call Randall bc the MiL had broken her hip so the wife was out of town.  (Don't know why I'm drawing a blank on her name atm.)  But in that moment, I was actually just pissed like, "Kevin!  Get off your ass and bring the damn housekey over and let the nurse in so Randall can work!"  So that aspect seemed kind of unrealistic to me, like he couldn't help is brother out earlier THAT SAME DAY, but later that night, he's willing to throw away his whole NY stage actor thing bc he knows he's upset? Mmmm, I don't buy it.  It came off as cowardly like he was pretty quick to use his brother's panic attack as an excuse not to face his demons and go on stage.

I still cried tho!  Lol
  • @BusinessWife long time no "see."  Thanks for dropping in.  Hope you're doing well. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @BusinessWife ah I totally missed that about his wife! I wondered where she was. I agree that I was wondering why Kevin just sat there watching Randall start to break and not jumping in to help. 
  • ***lurking***

@taylormarie923. I kwym about Randall's wife.  I thought that was super-weird when she insisted that he go to some boring chess tourney - that she was going to be attending - and tell him he still had to miss an important client dinner??? I mean, like does she not know the kind of job her husband has?  How critical those client relationships are?  They have a pretty kooshy life and she may be in for a shock if they suddenly were to lose his income.

But!  I do think the nurse had to call Randall bc the MiL had broken her hip so the wife was out of town.  (Don't know why I'm drawing a blank on her name atm.)  But in that moment, I was actually just pissed like, "Kevin!  Get off your ass and bring the damn housekey over and let the nurse in so Randall can work!"  So that aspect seemed kind of unrealistic to me, like he couldn't help is brother out earlier THAT SAME DAY, but later that night, he's willing to throw away his whole NY stage actor thing bc he knows he's upset? Mmmm, I don't buy it.  It came off as cowardly like he was pretty quick to use his brother's panic attack as an excuse not to face his demons and go on stage.

I still cried tho!  Lol
    @BusinessWife  YES to all of this! I was so annoyed at Kevin when he clearly saw Randall stressed out and all he could say was "oh..your headset" as he's scrambling to leave the office. Like get off your ass and help your brother! I also cry throughout every episode and then bawl when the episode ends and the music starts.. it just gets me!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 I miss being here! I hang out with some of the Aug17 TTGP grads and lurk you guys all the time!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility