June 2017 Moms

UO Thursday - 2/16 Edition

13»

Re: UO Thursday - 2/16 Edition

• @huskermom14, it's not that we can't do it, but it can't be compensated, you cannot do it for gay couples (because they can't legally adopt if not married, and the laws here just aren't very surrogacy-friendly. They don't really protect either party very well.

"According to Nebraska law, a surrogacy contract is defined as “a contract by which a woman is compensated for bearing a child of a man who is not her husband.” The law also states that the biological father of a child born through surrogacy and the surrogate will share custody jointly of the child."
    Boooooo Nebraska. Sounds similar to Canadian surrogacy laws. A woman from my original BMB just went through a surrogacy pregnancy 3 months ago and the intended parents are still working on the paperwork to basically adopt the baby from the surrogate and her husband. It's so crazy. 
  • I'm loving being pregnant now that morning sickness is gone. I also love the special treatment and will milk it for all it's worth.

I had my ears pierced when I was 2 weeks old. I think if I have a daughter one day I'll let her make her own ear piercing decisions.
  • Loading the player...
  • delujm0 said:
    MKRLTX said:
    Going off of what @krex said. Companies are all aiming to reduce healthcare costs and implement wellness prorams etc to keep their employees healthier and low risk, yet SO many companies only offer PTO rather than separate vacation and sick time benefits. People would be much more inclined to use a "sick day" than a PTO day when they may have already budgeted that time for vacation. I know that it works both ways and that employees should be responsible for having some days saved in case they are sick, but I have heard so many people go to work sick because they want to use that PTO day for something more fun. Bottom line even if it benefits some people who don't get sick to have the flexibility of it being called PTO, I think that all employers that want to keep their offices and employees healthy and germ free should have separate sick days to encourage people who are actually sick to stay home where they belong.

This.  We just have PTO and I HATE using it when I'm sick because I'd rather use it for vacation.  but I'm allowed to work from home, so usually if I'm feeling under the weather but good enough to work, I just stay home and log in from there.  I did use an actual PTO day yesterday though because I just wanted to sleep all day.  This year, since i'll be on leave for 16 weeks anyway, and not really traveling while super pregnant or with a very tiny baby, I don't think i'll use all of my PTO for actual vacations.

I would love to have a few actual sick days to mess with...but I feel like that would be a disaster because they'd take those out of our current PTO allowances and people would lose their minds about it.  if they gave us a few additional days every year for being sick though...I would gladly take it, and use them.

Also I had to bring DD to the doctor when she wasn't even actually sick at least 3 times when she first started daycare, because they wouldn't let her come back the next day without a doctor's note.  I believe that all three of these were because she had what was classified as three "loose" BMs that day.  Spoiler alert: when she was exclusively on breastmilk, ALL of her poops were liquid.  I mean all of them.  She blew out of a diaper at least once a day, and pooped at least 4-5 times a day.  But until daycare got used to that she kept getting sent home and it was ridiculously annoying.

On a related note, my UO is that I hate that the pediatrician has a "max" on daily consumption of whole cow's milk of 20oz.  DD eats a TON of solid food, and she loves milk.  Some days, when she asks for more after finishing her cup at dinner, it breaks my heart to have to tell her no because she's at the "max."  I know it's a lot of fat, but she's at a healthy weight.  What is so wrong with this?  I may have to change her over to 2% a little early so that she can keep drinking it.  She also drinks a lot of water, so I'm not worried about dehydration or anything, but if the kid wants to drink more milk, I don't see why I can't let her do it.  It's not affecting her solid food consumption, believe me.  The other night she ate an entire hot dog, an entire cheese quesadilla, two servings of steamed broccoli, a fruit puree packet, a bunch of animal crackers, and 8oz of milk.  And then she wanted more milk.  Why can't she have that?  It just seems stupid.

I say screw the pediatrician and give her as much as she wants. Milk is good for you!!!
  • @ellie111227 I'll take your your newborn stage if you take my labor. Lol 
    but seriously I wonder if I just got off easy. Dd was so easy, she barely ever cried. I don't think I'm going to be this lucky this time. No way. Especially since this time I have a 4 yr old to take care of too. I expect some evening out is on the way. 
  • I love being pregnant. I didn't like morning sickness this time around. But when that was over, pregnancy went back to how I remembered feeling with my first. I'm sad H isn't up for a 3rd. I'd love to do this again.
    Buuuuuut, I'm not a newborn person at all. Here's my UO. The older my daughter gets, the more I'm enjoying motherhood. I do not wish to hang on to every moment, nor do I wish for her to stay little. Don't get me wrong, I want for her to have an amazing childhood, and for her to not be in a hurry to grow up. But I enjoy watching her develop and grow. 

I also am in the camp of no reason to go to a strip club if you're in a committed relationship. I feel like it gives your SO the impression that he/she is not enough. 
  • Not a UO and this is vulgar but on the whole strip club note...

I have a relative from DH's side that goes ALL the time and says 'sometimes you just want to see some tits.'  I don't get it, DH isn't that way, DH actually feels the same as @JAGinMI about sex scenes in entertainment so I know he doesn't want to go with this relative, but it kind of cracks me up... I'm like you do you dude...
  • Okay I've been slacking so I'm just going to respond in a general way. 

Don't care if DH goes to a strip club, but he has no desire to go and either do I. We both went for our bachelor/bachelorette parties but I haven't gone since and he's only gone once. 

I don't mind being pregnant. As long as I can just skip past the first trimester. I was feeling good with my last two until 38 weeks and so far this one is the same. 

We have decided to wait to get the girls ears pierced. 9 is probably the youngest I'd let them do it. But when/if they do I will make a big deal out of it and make it a special day for them. 

My UO... I need to work on this...

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • I don't care about strip clubs, but then again DH has not been trying to hang out at any. My one beef with him regarding strippers, though, is that he had way more than me at his bachelor parties than I did at my bachelorette parties. I was upset because I wanted all the strippers and out of my 3 bachelorettes I only got one stripper- which was hired for me by my sister in law! I was like cmon people this is my final hurrah wtf 
  • @delujm0 my pediatrician says 16 oz of dairy for the day. She mentioned sugar/lactose and vitamin absorption but I didnt really ask much. We switch DS to unsweetened vanilla almond milk if hes still looking for milk (cow at daycare, almond at home). He doesnt seem to have a preference of one versus the other. Not sure if you guys have allergies but that might be an option.
  • LOTON01 said:
    @wineo929 I completely agree with you about strip clubs. I think the human body is a beautiful thing. I don't understand the harm in going. 

if someone is going to cheat a strip club isn't going to change that.
    I think you tagged the wrong wineo :) I think there are multiple of us! 

• I'm late to the game but I think getting babies' ears pierced is silly.  She's a baby!  She doesn't need to call attention to her face or whatever to be more attractive!  She's going to be adorbs no matter what.
    I told DH that I didn't want him to have a stripper bachelor party because I knew his friends at the time would totally do that, so he didn't have one at all.  Neither did I.  I stand by my decision.  Something about it just strikes me as wrong.  However, if we were both at a smutty show together I think that would be ok. 
    I kind of hate being pregnant.  I want my body back!  It's super hard and stressful to have to think of someone else for every tiny damn decision you make with what to eat, drink, take for medicine, etc.  The only parts I like about pregnancy are 1) baby kicks and 2) no eczema.
    Aaaaand spiders must die.  The end.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • A day off. I don't mind being pregnant until the very end when my back hurts and my ankles swell and it makes it uncomfortable to work. 

I don't mind strip clubs. My husband doesn't go unless it is a bachelor party or something. 

DD got her ears pierced for Christmas this year (she is 3). She asked for earrings the Christmas before and I bought her those play clip ones and never heard the end of it for a year. If I didn't get her ears pierced, I think I would have heard it for another whole year and gone insane. She is great with them at this age so I think this is perfect timing. 

Finally, not unpopular, but I am beginning to feel more connected to this group now that I recognize people and can associate certain things to them. 

• @wineo929 Sorry about that! :)
  • I don't mind strip clubs.  Especially the ones where the girls can really pole dance.  In my younger days my girlfriends and I would all go out to the strip club before the regular club.  One of the girls in our group was into only girls so we would hit up the booby bar before going out for the rest of the evening.   I've taken 3 series of pole dancing classes.  It's a lot of fun and frankly really good exercise.  
  • merrylea said:
    UO: I occasionally get annoyed when the baby is kicking- he is a stranger I have never met invading my personal space.
    I sometimes felt like that with DS! And occasionally for a while after he was born. Haha. Poor kid. 
  • merrylea said:
    UO: I occasionally get annoyed when the baby is kicking- he is a stranger I have never met invading my personal space.
    I sometimes felt like that with DS! And occasionally for a while after he was born. Haha. Poor kid. 
    Me too! A few days ago, I was chilling on the couch and she kept kicking and kicking and kicking and I was thinking, "man, this is getting annoying!" But I do like the kicks telling me the baby's doing ok, and I know they're going to just get harder and worse!
  • Speaking of babies kicking have y'all seen this video.  I watched it on FB this morning.  Crazy. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urx8kA2YGDA
  • Wearmi1 said:
    Speaking of babies kicking have y'all seen this video.  I watched it on FB this morning.  Crazy. 

I'm sorry...those stretch marks, that poor woman. I thought mine were the worst of the worst, but oh man. The movement was super cool.
  • I enjoy pregnancy, I'm obsessed with labor and childbirth and would do it 100 times and I love love newborns and when my babies are little. Older toddlers are harder for me! I would like a 4th baby but I'm not sure we could handle a 4th kid if that makes any sense.

Piercing baby ears is not my style. 

I dont mind mind if my DH goes to a strip club for a special occasion but it would bother me if he went alone or a lot.  We've been together one time when we were dating and I was not drunk enough for that experience lol. 

I think traveling with toddlers is more work than fun and I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on a far away nice trip for toddlers.  It's just not worth it to me.  I'm either doing an adults only trip or something short and close to home with babies and toddlers.  When they are older I'll be all about big trips! My dad took us to Mexico when my kids were 3 and 1 and it was a fun experience but I don't think I'd spend my own money for that! 
  • Wearmi1 said:
    Speaking of babies kicking have y'all seen this video.  I watched it on FB this morning.  Crazy. 

I'm sorry...those stretch marks, that poor woman. I thought mine were the worst of the worst, but oh man. The movement was super cool.
    See, that was just creepy to me. I love baby movements and I loved when DS was making my belly roll but that woman's skin looked so thin it looked like baby was about to burst through.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• @kahlan82, I'm with you. That video scared the crap out of me. It almost doesn't look real. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @JessyKV I'm totally with you on not going on an expensive vacation with toddlers. We've gone twice to Mexico(out of total family obligation for SIL's 30th birthday and then her wedding the next year). It was no vacation for H and I. We will wait for vacations like that until the kids are at least 5 years old if not older.
  • We traveled Europe with our 18month old. We stayed in Rome for 3 days and then did a Mediterranean cruise for 8 days and 6 stops. It was amazing and I loved every minute of it. I was also pregnant with our second. 

We travel at least twice a year and my kids are rock stars. They know the drill. Of course, there can be hiccups but we don't let us stop us, and we teach them. 
  • Wino0920 said:
    We traveled Europe with our 18month old. We stayed in Rome for 3 days and then did a Mediterranean cruise for 8 days and 6 stops. It was amazing and I loved every minute of it. I was also pregnant with our second. 

We travel at least twice a year and my kids are rock stars. They know the drill. Of course, there can be hiccups but we don't let us stop us, and we teach them. 
    I'm hoping this can be us.  We lived overseas for 3.5 years and we desperately want to go back once the baby is here (we still have lots of friends over there that we haven't seen since 2013).  We love traveling and are hoping baby won't slow us down, but we'll see!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Wearmi1 said:

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • krex said:
    Wino0920 said:
    We traveled Europe with our 18month old. We stayed in Rome for 3 days and then did a Mediterranean cruise for 8 days and 6 stops. It was amazing and I loved every minute of it. I was also pregnant with our second. 

I'm hoping this can be us.  We lived overseas for 3.5 years and we desperately want to go back once the baby is here (we still have lots of friends over there that we haven't seen since 2013).  We love traveling and are hoping baby won't slow us down, but we'll see!
    I am also hoping this can be us. We shall see!
  • Wino0920 said:

That's awesome.  I think one kid is totally more doable.  And the more you do it the better.

My kids aren't bad at all on trips
    but it is a lot of work! My husband gets too much anxiety traveling with the kids to make it as fun for me either.  I think if he was more into it then I would be.  I do love seeing them experience things but if I'm on a limited travel budget I would much rather do an adult trip far away and something close to home but still fun with the little kids.  When they are older and not napping I will be more into far away travel.  It's one of those things that I know everyone is different on.  
  • Dd is an amazing traveler. I think every kid is different. Unfortunately we don't have much money for travel, but she has been on a plane and did amazing there and back, camping she loved! Naps were nice then because we had quiet in the nature which was so relaxing. Disney she did not cry 1 time in 4 days and it took a road trip to get there and back. She's just generally easy going and happy. The lack of routine probably really throws a lot of kids though.