February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM January

Re: Ask a STM January

• @homemake I'm not on Facebook! The world is not set up for FB conscientious objectors... maybe I'll make my husband do it. What group would you recommend?
  • What fold are you doing?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @Starfish113 with the nb size, the angel fold, with the infant size, the newspaper fold. I just did an angel fold with a fleece liner, waiting to see how long it lasts...
  • @homemake I'm not on Facebook! The world is not set up for FB conscientious objectors... maybe I'll make my husband do it. What group would you recommend?
    I'm in fluff love and CD science. You can post your issue and you'll generally get tons of ideas and advice. They do a lot of washing help and troubleshooting with leaking issues all the time. 
  • @poetryandoceans , a fleece liner won't add any absorbency they are used for a stay dry feeling for baby.  We are using newborn bamboo/cotton prefolds from Nickis and typically pee through them after 2-3 hours.  For longer times I am using a GMD fitted with a cover overtop.  We also pee through our newborn AIO after the 2-3 hour mark too.  This is why lots of people have issues with newborn cloth.  I would recommend adding an extra insert(something like hemp since it is thin, but adds a good amount of absorbency) or doing fitteds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @scottipino thanks for the advice, I know you're an expert:) sounds like we might just wait until he grows a bit, because I'm convinced if I buy anything more for the size he is now, he will have a growth spurt tomorrow... at least the fleece will mean he'll be more comfortable.
  • @scottipino thanks for the advice, I know you're an expert:) sounds like we might just wait until he grows a bit, because I'm convinced if I buy anything more for the size he is now, he will have a growth spurt tomorrow... at least the fleece will mean he'll be more comfortable.
    Totally don't blame you for just waiting.  You will fit OS soon and have an easier time!  This is why people get frustrated and stop. OS was much easier for me.  This is our first time doing newborn and while fun, it's harder!

• @scottipino I got cocky, because going purely on weight, he should fit the OS. My sleep deprived brain forgot that it was all length and tried to make it work anyway. Will attempt again in a few weeks (or days, the way this little monster is eating...)

Other cloth diapering newbs, learn from my mistakes! Don't try too early and give it up as a bad job...
  • @poetryandoceans I'm a second-time prefold lover! (So far, DS2 is 11 days old).
    I have some larger Bummis prefolds that I liked ok for DS1 once I could just trifold (once he had solid poop). But I didn't like the size/shape of traditional prefolds for folding.
    I like sized "smart fit"/shorter prefolds and use the Imagine Smart Fit brand (or Green Mountain, but they are more expensive). They just fit right without being too long for the angel wing or jelly roll fold. I can post a picture tomorrow if that would help? He's asleep now.

But as far as leaking out the cover onto the onesie, is the prefold sticking out or the cotton onesie tucking into the leg openings creating wicking? Cotton will wick if it contacts the wet prefold. 
    You might try fleece pjs or fleece pants over the diaper cover. Fleece doesn't wick!
    If you just need more absorption, the size small Thirsties doublers are a good fit inside newborn covers with a prefold.
  • Not pregnancy related, baby question. What do you do for babies with gas? It's constant. Fidgeting, grunting, straining, constantly uncomfortable. I'm super diligent about burping and I pace feed bottles. I've tried gripe water that someone gave me at a shower and I think it helps a little. Does anyone have a specific brand of gas drops/gripe water that worked well? Or any other tips/tricks that they use? We have already had to move her into her crib because the constant grunting prevented us from getting any sleep. HAAALLLPPP. 
  • @ferforshort this sounds like my nephew. They did mylicon drops.
  • Not pregnancy related, baby question. What do you do for babies with gas? It's constant. Fidgeting, grunting, straining, constantly uncomfortable. I'm super diligent about burping and I pace feed bottles. I've tried gripe water that someone gave me at a shower and I think it helps a little. Does anyone have a specific brand of gas drops/gripe water that worked well? Or any other tips/tricks that they use? We have already had to move her into her crib because the constant grunting prevented us from getting any sleep. HAAALLLPPP. 
    Omg I'm dealing with allllll of this right now. He was so good and not fussy at all for the first 2 weeks and then bam, he's constantly fidgety and restless and won't sleep for longer than an hour without crying bloody murder. It's breaking my heart. We have been using "Little Remedies" gas drops and it seems to help a bit, but I can tell he's still super uncomfortable. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Omg I'm dealing with allllll of this right now. He was so good and not fussy at all for the first 2 weeks and then bam, he's constantly fidgety and restless and won't sleep for longer than an hour without crying bloody murder. It's breaking my heart. We have been using "Little Remedies" gas drops and it seems to help a bit, but I can tell he's still super uncomfortable. 
    Maybe this is what I'm dealing with? DD hasn't slept longer than 20-30 mins since 7 am (and that's being generous, she seems to wake the minute I attempt to move her somewhere to sleep). Super fussy, wailing like a banshee, clusterfeeding and nursing twice as long thrice as often. Could this be gas? I have gripe water, can I give that to a 3.5 week old? I'm overwhelmed and it's been 2 days of this and I feel like I'm isolating in hopelessness.

if it's not gas, please someone just tell me I'm not failing my daughter, I could really use a boost in confidence
  • @homemade I was just going to edit and ask if it could be a growth spurt! I can't brain today, I have the dumb
  • @FerForShort we give DD mylicon (.3...unit of measure per the syringe provided) at every feeding. It helps, especially when combo'd with diligent burping like you said you've been doing. It isn't 100% perfect, but it's shortened the wailing. We've been giving it to her since she was five days old per pediatrician recommendation. 

Also, not sure if you're on bottles or EBF, but we switched to tommee tippee anti colic bottles (EPing) and those have really helped. She hated Dr Brown's because the flow was too slow. 
  • @yogadevil We had a spurt around 3 weeks. And the accompanying terror that I was failing him... he got so much more alert and started making sustained eye contact when the spurt was over; there are good things coming!
    I've definitely noticed she's more alert! That's wonderful that there will be more progress on that front when this episode is over!

About how long did the growth spurt last with your son?
  • @FerForShort we give DD mylicon (.3...unit of measure per the syringe provided) at every feeding. It helps, especially when combo'd with diligent burping like you said you've been doing. It isn't 100% perfect, but it's shortened the wailing. We've been giving it to her since she was five days old per pediatrician recommendation. 

Also, not sure if you're on bottles or EBF, but we switched to tommee tippee anti colic bottles (EPing) and those have really helped. She hated Dr Brown's because the flow was too slow. 
    Thank you!

interesting about the flow being too slow. We are using dr browns because they were the only preemie bottles we could find initially so we just stuck with those. I'm breast feeding and giving bottles and I have a super fast letdown, so I'm wondering if the flow on dr brown may be a little slow. I'll have to try the tommie tippie. 
  • Another +1 for mylicon at every feeding. 
  • @poetryandoceans Haven't gotten little man into his cloth yet (hoping to start before the weekend!) But it sounds like you need some doublers. Hemp, or another high absorbency option that you could just lay in right at the front. There are tons of brand options, so you should be able to find something economical, and doublers can be used the rest of your CD time. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @yogadevil I think it was about 4 days of increased fussiness and constant feeding. And then we had to pack up all his newborn onesies and sleepers....
  • My MIL just stayed with us 4 days and kept telling me that I should be wrapping my belly, like using a girdle. I blew it off (and was slightly offended) but now I'm wondering if I really should... is there any benefit to using a postpartum girdle? Or is it just a vanity thing?
  • @Kaylea31 after a c/s it holds your guts in so they don't feel like falling out and they help releave swelling but other than that it seems like a vanity thing. 
  • With my son, he was also a really fussy guy. He always wanted to cluster feed and cried all the time. We thought it was gas but it turned out to be reflux. (He didn't spit up so that's why we didn't assume it was a reflux issue).

If gas drops don't cut it, I'd probably bring it up to the pedi in case it's something else. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Oversupply and fast letdowns are supposed to make gas worse too
  • edited February 2017
    I know that there could be some blood when the umbilical stump starts to come off, but how much is too much bleeding? DD is 10 days old. It's not dripping blood but it is enough that it's bled through about the size of a penny on 3 shirts since yesterday. Does that sound about right or should I call her doctor?
  • I know that there could be some blood when the umbilical stump starts to come off, but how much is too much bleeding? DD is 10 days old. It's not dripping blood but it is enough that it's bled through about the size of a penny on 3 shirts since yesterday. Does that sound about right or should I call her doctor?
    I'm curious about this too. 2 days ago we went to the grocery store and I guess from the angle of his body in the carrier his diaper slid up and the stump got stuck on it. When I changed him it was loose and fell off that night. It didn't bleed enough to go clear through, but has been leaving blood stains on his onsies since then, I'm wondering if I should leave it alone or cover it with something? 

Our baby appears to maybe have a clogged tear duct. His left eye is all goopy and I keep wiping it with a warm wet cotton ball multiple times a day. He has an appointment next thursday... is this something I can wait to bring up at the appointment or is it something that I should call in about?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 apparently breast milk is super good for clogged tear ducts. I have no idea if it warrants a call to the dr or not, but it may not hurt to try breast milk on a cotton ball (or some people shoot it into baby's eye. That freaks me out, but to each their own I guess...). 
  • @FerForShort thanks for the breastmilk tip! I may end up trying to apply it somehow, but I won't be trying to squirt it directly into his eye lol the picture in my head is quite amusing though!! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 if it looks red feels warm you should call but if it's just goopy And gross just do circle massages with a warm cotton swab thing at every feeding. 

DS1 had a clogged duct for mooonnmttthhhhhss. It would get better and come back constantly. 

• @PerraSucia it feels normal and looks normal minus the gross gunk. I was just wiping the goop away, I'll try the massages though, thanks! :) 

Months sounds like a long time to open up and clear out for your little guy :(   I hope this clears quickly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Aw, poor babe. But you get the cutest pics!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 my little guy has a potential blocked tear duct too; his left eye is frequently a little gunky and never looks quite as open. My pedi recommended the circle massages too, and said they wouldn't try any procedures to flush the tear duct unless he was still having trouble closer to a year old! (Not sure if this is the standard recommendation or not, but that seemed crazy to me). Nonetheless, the circle massages seem to be helping Oscar.
  • @FreshBakedBrownies I hope Oscar's tear ducts clear out well before a year old!! Austin very much dislikes me wiping his eye let alone trying to massage it. Hopefully they clear up quickly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SawyerRichardson did you end up calling the Dr about the umbilical bleeding? Did it stop bleeding yet? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 No, I kept an eye on it for a bit and it eventually stopped later that day. I think maybe just the outfit she had on rubbed it the wrong way. It's still attached though and I can't wait for it to fall off. Thanks for checking on us though!
  • kswiger06 said:
    @SawyerRichardson did you end up calling the Dr about the umbilical bleeding? Did it stop bleeding yet? 
    My guys cord came off and then he's been bleeding a bit the past couple of days. I think it's normal but we're keeping an eye on it.
  • I'm going to be 5w PP tomorrow, and I still can't get my rings on. How long do I wait until I say my fingers got fat and leave it at that? Any STMs that can reassure me that my fingers might still go back to their original size?