Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Check-in Week Feb13th

1235»

Re: IF/Testing Check-in Week Feb13th

• @travelingcouple you pull back on the plunger once you insert the needle to make sure you did not accidentally go in a vessel. But yes your basically putting the needle in, quick pull back, then inject, wam bam thank you mam done in just a few seconds. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Loading the player...
  • @laurad75 Thanks love.  I'm a little misty over here thinking of your embryo and praying for great test results.  I'm thrilled you have been successful so far, however modestly, and that you can do another retrieval to bank some frosties!  Given the DOR, it sounds like a solid plan.  FX so hard!
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• @TravelingCouple Are you sure your trigger is a butt shot?  I do all my own injections but they have been stomach injections.  I always push the plunger super slowly so one drop comes out, then inject and push the rest of the medication in.  It's intimidating at first but once you go for it it's no big deal. 

@wabash15 Unfortunately we were already on a very aggressive protocol so there isn't anything we can change.  I will need to go on bc again but for less time than last cycle.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 The nurse told me butt yesterday. I'll ask again once we actually get started with the cycle though.
  • They have you pull it back to make sure it's in the muscle and not a blood vessel. It's really unlikely but if you put it in a blood vessel your body may have a different/stronger/weaker reaction to it. So if you pull back and there is blood, you're in the wrong place and have to try again.
    if you're at all uncomfortable with needles, I would definitely have someone do it for you.
  • @TravelingCouple Which trigger are you using? I always had ovidrel and it was a stomach shot I did myself. DH just hovered nearby. Just pinched some fat near the belly button and then proceeded as @laurad75 described. But I imagine it's different for different types of triggers. Did your RE give you any direction or just tell you to watch the video?

@aurora1973 Congratulations!

@laurad75 Im glad to hear you had one make it to freeze, and that you're able to do an ER next cycle, too. Good luck!
  • edited February 2017
    @heatherdubrow Oh geez...yeah maybe I will ask my nurse friend after all. If I see blood there's no telling what'll happen. The last thing I need is to pass out with a needle sticking out of my butt.
  • @Bababatty It's Pregnyl I'm getting. Originally Novarel, but then the pharmacist found that Pregnyl was cheaper. She said it's a different brand of the same medication.
  • @Bababatty Thanks!!  It's been a great TWW distraction!
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• @TravelingCouple I just looked it up and it is a muscular injection. It's highly unlikely that you'll see blood when you pull back...
    But if I were you I would absolutely ask a nurse friend to do it. It's nothing to them, at all...I don't even know how many injections I've given in my career. You don't even have to tell them what it's for if you don't want to.
  • @TravelingCouple Ahhh then I know nothing about that and you should disregard my advice.  :p Good luck with the shot! I'm sure you'll be fine. 
  • @heatherdubrow so if I ask my friend to do it who's a nurse, she'll know to back the needle out a little bit to make sure that it's not in a blood vessel without me telling her that it's in HCG shot? In other words, do you do that anyway for any shot? She's totally cool and I know she won't mind doing it if I don't tell her what it's for, I just want to make sure that there's not a different protocol on how to do the shot based on what it is.

I agree @wabash15!
  • @TravelingCouple yes that's standard with any intramuscular injection. All you need to tell her is that you need a shot in the butt  ;)
  • @adirat no. It does not, in fact, prevent it. So embarrassing! But glad to know for sure...
  • @wabash15 I am so sorry that you have another hurdle to deal with.  FX that this IUI is it!
  • @heatherdubrow HOORAY!!! I am so frickin' excited for you

*TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @heatherdubrow That's great news!! I'll keep my FX that everything continues to go smoothly and you have a nice easy transfer next week! 

• @TravelingCouple today they gave me my progesterone instructions and said they no longer make you pull back on the plunger. So maybe that will be the case for you?
  • @heatherdubrow Yayyy so excited for you!

• Yay @heatherdubrow so happy for your good news! 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• Stalking for @heatherdubrow's news.... yay for good lining!!  :)
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• Great news @heatherdubrow !!!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Thanks so much ladies!! Your support means so much!