Baby Names

Theodore?

Is it just me noticing it more, or is Theodore becoming a really trendy name? DH and I finally agreed on this name for a boy with the nickname Theo, but now I am seeing it everywhere. Anybody have good stats on name trends? This is the only name we have agreed on, and I am sad to see it being so popular. What do you think? Is it too trendy/common to use?

Re: Theodore?

• i don't have specifics but i too feel like i am seeing it everywhere lately. Thaddeus (Tad), Augustus (Gus or Auggie) and Reginald (Reggie)  have the same kind of feel i think.
  • It is still a classic name but yes totally on a trend wave. I know several

• Loading the player...
  • I'm drunk, so tldr, baader-meinhoff, Theodore has not really been unpopular in forever and is trending up, but this site will give you numbers https://www.ourbabynamer.com/name-popularity.html, and only you can decide if a name is too common or popular. 

Also, fucking love Thaddeus and Reginald,  aldo gonna toss out Percival nn Percy.
  • I love it. It's classic and solid, so I think it's a great choice. I haven't met any IRL. 
  • Our 2.5 year old son is Theodore. So far, we have only met one other. 
  • Theodore is climbing the ranks of the SSA list. In 2000 it was 312, in 2015 it broke the top 100 (number 99). That means that in 2015 4111 Theodore's were born, that's 0,203% of boys born in 2015.  It ranked highest in 1904 (number 30). Theodore is a classic with great nicknames, so it's no wonder it's climbing the ranks. 

You're probably seeing and hearing Theodore everywhere, because you settled on the name. You see and hear other names as well, but aren't picking up on them. I think Theodore is a great name and not too common. If you're set on finding another name, how about George (#136), Thaddeus (#703), Hugo (#432), Grant (#177), Abraham (#170) or Oscar (#181)?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We finally settled on Theodore for DS #2, as well, and now I'm seeing it everywhere. I agree with @FakeFinn that it is likely just standing out because we chose it. DS #1 has a very uncommon name and it started popping up after we settled on his name as well. 
  • We finally settled on Theodore for DS #2, as well, and now I'm seeing it everywhere. I agree with @FakeFinn that it is likely just standing out because we chose it. DS #1 has a very uncommon name and it started popping up after we settled on his name as well. 
    So true. I think every new parent experiences this to some degree. It's like when you get a new vehicle, all of a sudden you see them everywhere, only because you're more aware.
  • Thanks, everyone! I really like the name, so I think I just have to be ok with it being more popular than I would prefer. I keep reminding myself the even the top names don't actually have that high of an occurrence rate anymore. It's not  10% of kids have the top name in any given year, right? 

@Bringmemylongswordho That is a really helpful website!
  • SKZW said:
    We finally settled on Theodore for DS #2, as well, and now I'm seeing it everywhere. I agree with @FakeFinn that it is likely just standing out because we chose it. DS #1 has a very uncommon name and it started popping up after we settled on his name as well. 
    So true. I think every new parent experiences this to some degree. It's like when you get a new vehicle, all of a sudden you see them everywhere, only because you're more aware.
    Exactly what I meant, but you guys said it a whole lot better! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It seems very popular but I don't know any 
  • I think it is spiking in popularity. We have considered naming this baby Theodore, so I've noticed it as well. Our older son is Henry, which we picked in 2011 not realizing that it was also REALLY spiking in popularity at that time. Now I meet little Henrys everywhere. (I'm still so glad we chose it! I can't imagine calling him anything else.)
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Theodore was a top name for us when DS, 1.5 years old, was born. Couldn't get my husband on board and our son didn't look like a Theo/Theodore when born. 
  • It seems popular here, but I don't know any IRL (and I've taught elementary school for 11 years). I think it's trending, but not to the point where it will be SUPER popular. I'm surprised it's even top 100.
  • I know three born in the last 6 months. It's a classic name and I love it, but I definitely think it's climbing the ladder of popularity 
  • I have an eight month old Theodore, Theo got short. We didn't realize how popular it was until recently. I don't know any others personally yet but according to the popular name charts, I'm sure our Theo will be one of many at school (something we were hoping to avoid - daddy is Kyle and hates how popular that was).