July 2017 Moms

UO Thursday 2.16.17

2»

Re: UO Thursday 2.16.17

• Chamomile said:
    Rae1 said:

The electoral college needs to be abolished, what is wrong with just going by popular vote? It was created to benefit slave owners, if my understanding is correct. Why was slavery ever even seen as okay? What was okay about forcing another person to work for free or for table scraps. Absolutely despicable. Everytime he brings it up about the popular vote, it just reminds me that the vast majority of America did not want him...

Disagree. If the electoral college didn't exist, a few large population states (California, Texas, Florida, NY) would essentially decide the president every election. There are different issues that affect different states, and rural voters voices wouldn't be heard without the electoral college. 

This isn't enough of a reason in my mind for a person in Wyoming to be worth 3.6 people in California when it comes to equal representation. We ALL have to pay the same federal taxes and deal with fallout of the same bonehead federal decisions, and should equally have a say in that. One person, one vote. Anything else, including the electoral college, is a throwback to slavery.

If the electoral collage didn't exist, these are the most populous areas in the nation and would decide the outcome of every election. 
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• edited February 2017
    Chamomile said:
    snipped
    This isn't enough of a reason in my mind for a person in Wyoming to be worth 3.6 people in California when it comes to equal representation. We ALL have to pay the same federal taxes and deal with fallout of the same bonehead federal decisions, and should equally have a say in that. One person, one vote. Anything else, including the electoral college, is a throwback to slavery.
    It's easy to complain about the outcome (and the way it happened) when the candidate you wanted didn't win. If the situation were reversed, would you still be calling for the electoral college to be abolished? (this isn't directed at you specifically, more of a figurative "you")

Also, there's no way to know how the election would have gone if it were based on popular vote. If that were the way it worked, the candidates both would have had completely different strategies (IE not going to Wyoming, but spending way more time campaigning the aforementioned large states). But, that isn't the way it works, and the candidates knew that and played their strategies to get the states they needed in order to win the electoral college vote. 

ETA - FWIW, I think both candidates sucked and I am not 'for' either. I am just disagreeing with the idea that it's the electoral college's "fault" that we are in the situation we are in. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • If the electoral collage didn't exist, these are the most populous areas in the nation and would decide the outcome of every election. 
    One person, one vote. That's my stance and always will be. It's also the definition of democracy.
  • Chamomile said:
    If the electoral collage didn't exist, these are the most populous areas in the nation and would decide the outcome of every election. 
    One person, one vote. That's my stance and always will be. It's also the definition of democracy.
    Then I guess it's a good thing you aren't the one deciding the way our democracy works. 
  • I don't agree that the electoral college should be abolished but I do think it needs to be overhauled. The electoral college should line up better with how the popular vote goes. I don't have the answer, but I do agree that there is a flaw in our current system. 
  • I see the pluses and minuses to a popular and an electoral vote, but there are places NOW that candidates don't visit during the campaign. A candidate for one party isn't going to spend much time in a state that consistently votes the other way by a decent margin, or much time/attention on a state that will vote FOR that party. So we end up having candidates focus their time, money, and energy on a handful of swing states.

Also, I like writing thank-you notes and love receiving them. They go up on my fridge. 
  • Chamomile said:
    Fact check: the US is a Representative Democracy...what you want is a pure Democracy.  There is a difference. 
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• edited February 2017
    I hate the current two-party system we have. There is absolutely no reason why we can't legitimately have a third party and third option in these elections. This past election is a good example of why we need more options. Both candidates sucked ass and we ended up in this situation as a result of our craptastic parties and this groupthink we all have about the necessity of voting for one of them. 
  • I hate the current two-party system we have. There is absolutely no reason why we can't legitimately have a third party and third option in these elections. This past election is a good example of why we need more options. Both candidates sucked ass and we ended up in this situation as a result of our craptastic parties and this groupthink we all have about the necessity of voting for one of them. 
    I also hope that people take this election as a lesson to get out and vote in the primaries!!
  • I feel stupid when someone asks how old DS is saying 20 months. I say 1, 1 1/2, almost 2 etc. past two is ridiculous and I hate math so for all of us just stop at 24 months if you must go that long. I have a FB friend that posts the monthly photos with the "_ month" stickers and went all the way to 24 months...cringe... 

My UO I hate bacon. Like a lot. 
    I bought those block things for the monthly photos, and I told DH that I'm going to keep obnoxiously using weeks... so 90 weeks, then up to 90 months! lol

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • chamomile-2chamomile-2 member
    edited February 2017
    It's easy to complain about the outcome (and the way it happened) when the candidate you wanted didn't win. If the situation were reversed, would you still be calling for the electoral college to be abolished? (this isn't directed at you specifically, more of a figurative "you")
    I never brought up the outcome or either of the most recent candidates. My state is consistently disadvantaged in all elections and I've always felt this way. One person, one vote. I should not count for less than a full American because of the state I live in!
  • The "vast majority" of the country didn't want Clinton over Trump. According to the NY Times, the final percentages were 48% to 45.9%. That's not a vast difference. 
    Also, 1 person 1 vote is a direct democracy. Which isn't what America is. It's a representative democracy. 
    Also, you can call it "going back to slavery" but its slightly disingenuous to throw the entire system under the boss simply because that was one of the differences they were arguing over. The point was that different regions of the country have different political views, and deserve some semblance of equal representation for those views that can actually make a difference, regardless of the total population. Hence the Senate versus the House, the electoral college, and the ability of states to make their own laws concerning certain matters. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • edited February 2017
    Chamomile said:
    I never brought up the outcome or either of the most recent candidates. My state is consistently disadvantaged in all elections and I've always felt this way. One person, one vote. I should not count for less than a full American because of the state I live in!
    again, I wasn't referring to YOU the person, but the figurative 'you'. And as others have said, we don't live in a true democracy, for good reason.

ETA - and you do get 'one person, one vote' within your state. Every vote in a state determines that state's outcome. But every state is not equal, and shouldn't be treated equally when it comes to the election as a whole. 

Chamomile said:
    Rae1 said:
    Then I guess it's a good thing you aren't the one deciding the way our democracy works. 
    And it's a good thing it's an UO thread ;)

I agree. I would much rather see true UOs than listen to another week of people talking about how they hate apples or something lol 
  • You can still have a representative democracy with 1 person equaling 1 vote.  Representative democracy means that we elect representatives to make policy decisions for us (i.e. senators and representatives and a president).  It doesn't mean that we need an electoral college.  Direct democracy means that every person has a direct vote on policy initiatives.  Source: the dictionary.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • I think we should clean house with Congress and Senate right now, put a limit on terms, disallow shady campaign contributions, and stop all benefits once they are out of office. 

• theweevee said:
    The last thing I want is someone with a string guessing my circumference.

Huh?? 

Is this a thing? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @plumpous yes. People cut a piece of yarn to guess how wide you are around with your belly and then you see how wide you actually are and the closest wins. I was pretty small at my shower and it still made me feel like shit when people were cutting yarn the circumference of my thigh. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Yup, @plumpous. I hate the cutesy shower games, like Guess What's In The Diaper and the string (I've seen it with TP, too). I've also seen where you race other people to drink what's in the bottle the fastest.

Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • I hate the current two-party system we have. There is absolutely no reason why we can't legitimately have a third party and third option in these elections. This past election is a good example of why we need more options. Both candidates sucked ass and we ended up in this situation as a result of our craptastic parties and this groupthink we all have about the necessity of voting for one of them. 
    I also hate the status quo, and think something needs to change. But if there was a legit 3rd party, we could end up with a president that only has the support of 34% of the country, and that's no good either. 
  • lfk2013 said:

Yup, @plumpous. I hate the cutesy shower games, like Guess What's In The Diaper and the string (I've seen it with TP, too). I've also seen where you race other people to drink what's in the bottle the fastest.

Ha ha I was only asking about the string. That sounds like a terrible thing to do to us!

My baby shower was cake and gifts. My friend had blank onesies and fabric markers to personalize them. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lfk2013 said:

Yup, @plumpous. I hate the cutesy shower games, like Guess What's In The Diaper and the string (I've seen it with TP, too). I've also seen where you race other people to drink what's in the bottle the fastest.

I 'chugged' a beer out of a bottle at a co-ed shower once and it was TERRIBLE. Made my stomach hurt so much  :D I think the worst one is trying to identify the candy bar that is smashed in a diaper... so gross!
  • MamaRN13 said:
    lfk2013 said:

I 'chugged' a beer out of a bottle at a co-ed shower once and it was TERRIBLE. Made my stomach hurt so much  :D I think the worst one is trying to identify the candy bar that is smashed in a diaper... so gross!
    These are all terrible. I already told my mom/sister they weren't allowed to do the smashed candy bar diaper game. I didn't know the string one existed but that sounds terrible too. 

I think the only baby shower games I like are the ones were you guess what the mom-to-be/dad-to-be said. Like, you ask the parents questions before hand (maybe, "what are you most afraid of when it comes to a new baby"), then make people guess the answers: Who said "I am most afraid of the first poopy diaper".
  • We also have an abhorrent voting rate in this country. Election Day should be a national holiday so folks don't need to choose between voting and work.
    Lots of people have to work on most national holidays. There would be relatively few people who would actually benefit from this, and they would pretty much all be from the same socioeconomic class. Some people (presumably low-income people working things like food service or retail jobs) would just be in a worse spot because in addition to working and voting, they may also have to find child care because the schools will close. 

I totally agree there's a problem here, but I disagree with the solution. I think early voting or mail-in ballots should encouraged more.
  • Lol I knew it would be unpopular ;) my parents are in California, and are staunch Trump supporter. I couldn't get behind either candidate, honestly. But I think they are bonkers, and the definition of sheeple.
  • It annoys me when people cannot afford the kids that they have, and therefore must rely on govt. assistance for each additional child and their only response to being questioned as to how many kids they want is "I don't know how many I will have, he loves me pregnant and thinks I am sexy and worships my body." Her daughter has basically just layed or sat there and made occasional noises since birth (is now 14 months), and therefore the easiest baby ever. She must think every baby is like that. She wants to start a horse boarding and training business, but plans to be pregnant every few months post partum. That means 6 kids under 6 most likely. I just don't agree with endangering oneself, children and fetus by riding and caring for 15 to 20 horses. They are unpredictable, kick HARD.
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Really UO: I know it takes two to make a baby but I feel like I have more say in what the names of this baby are!!! DH told me he 'has the first and middle name figured out and I'll have a hard time convincing him otherwise'. Umm, what?? I'm sorry. I have been puking for 4 months straight, and feel like maybe I get a 60% say in name and you get about a 40%!! I'm not saying I will name this baby something he hates, but I will not let him pick first and middle name of our future daughter. Sorry not sorry. I will not name our kid something I do not like. I had always dreamed of naming my daughter after my own mother or grandmother(middle name). Our children already get his family last name. It all seems so unfair and one sided. I wanted to laugh in his face that he thinks I will have to convince him of any name. Not happening. 

eta when autocorrect changes the correct word to a random one, ugh. 
    I feel the same way. Thankfully DH and I came to a consensus on names but for a while we were going back and forth about a boy middle name. My maiden name is a common boy's first name and I wanted to use that, but he wanted to use his grandfather's name. I am not opposed to using his grandfather's name but feel like his family is already represented because LO will have his last name. We ultimately decided on a non-family name because we couldn't agree. Also, had we used my suggested middle name we risked having a 'JJ' which we wanted to avoid.

Hope you can find a name that works for both of you!
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    @lfk2013 Or the "Don't say baby game" holy freaking bananas it's a BABY shower!!! *angry*face* I told my sis if anyone even mentions it I'm going to strangle them. I hate shower games soooo much. I told my sis to keep it light. She said one of her friends opened her gifts real quick then they sat around the rest of the time chatting, eating and drinking margaritas. Now that's my kind of shower lol! 

Shit just got real with the Americans LOL! I was wondering when the UO thread was gonna get political.  ;)  

As for names, a definite UO you brave soul! LOL I think it should be an equal decision but your DH needs to do a little bit of coming around for sure!  I asked DH if I could have sole choice of middle names since as you said, they'll get and carry his last name, and he was okay with that. (My Dad is the only boy and he had 2 girls and we both assumed so his line is dead) Thankfully picking names hasn't been too hard for us. We recently toyed with the idea of my Grandma's name (Dad's Mom) and then I added my Nan's (Mom's Mom) for middle and we both really like it. I think it's always best to have 2 or 3 though. 2 at a minimum. Sometimes they come out and just don't look like X so you need to have another one in the saddle. That might be my UO haha! 

Edit: What does everyone always say? Words are hard? Yeah, that. lol
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    I get annoyed by the yellow nail polish and it not being applied properly in that picture that comes up as soon as you open the Bump App. 
  • edited February 2017
    BusyZee said:
    I get annoyed by the yellow nail polish and it not being applied properly in that picture that comes up as soon as you open the Bump App. 
    Yessss. This. Same here, I think it is ugly AF.

ETA but those wittle toe toes are so cute!
  • Isn't it SO super annoying and off putting, maybe thats what kept our nausea going in the first place. 

they also have nice looking guys in their article photos MOst of the time  o:)
  • julybaby17-2julybaby17-2 member
    edited February 2017
    The guessing your circumference game sounds awful. I'm now texting my sister telling her that will not be happening!

I also love yellow nail polish! I love having bright colors on my nails.