June 2017 Moms

UO Thursday - 2/16 Edition

Re: UO Thursday - 2/16 Edition

• Loading the player...
  • @CurlyMommy416, I'm guilty of this, but only because our school system requires notes for every absence.
  • Going off of what @krex said. Companies are all aiming to reduce healthcare costs and implement wellness prorams etc to keep their employees healthier and low risk, yet SO many companies only offer PTO rather than separate vacation and sick time benefits. People would be much more inclined to use a "sick day" than a PTO day when they may have already budgeted that time for vacation. I know that it works both ways and that employees should be responsible for having some days saved in case they are sick, but I have heard so many people go to work sick because they want to use that PTO day for something more fun. Bottom line even if it benefits some people who don't get sick to have the flexibility of it being called PTO, I think that all employers that want to keep their offices and employees healthy and germ free should have separate sick days to encourage people who are actually sick to stay home where they belong.
  • omg @Stankonia2014 what a pain in the freaking ass!
  • MKRLTX said:
    Going off of what @krex said. Companies are all aiming to reduce healthcare costs and implement wellness prorams etc to keep their employees healthier and low risk, yet SO many companies only offer PTO rather than separate vacation and sick time benefits. People would be much more inclined to use a "sick day" than a PTO day when they may have already budgeted that time for vacation. I know that it works both ways and that employees should be responsible for having some days saved in case they are sick, but I have heard so many people go to work sick because they want to use that PTO day for something more fun. Bottom line even if it benefits some people who don't get sick to have the flexibility of it being called PTO, I think that all employers that want to keep their offices and employees healthy and germ free should have separate sick days to encourage people who are actually sick to stay home where they belong.
    So, the company where I work doesn't have "sick days."  If you're sick, you stay home...no one tracks it (obviously, if you abuse it, your boss is going to know and get on you about it, but no real tracking otherwise).  People STILL FREAKING SHOW UP SICK!  I nearly lose it every time...I don't want your damn germs, people! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• @krex I would freak out too. That is an amazing benefit, why would you not stay home?! 
  • krex said:

On top of @curlymommy416, when people freaking show up to work sick.  Guess what??  You are not the CEO of the company, and frankly your work is not so important that you can't sit your butt at home for a day and get better!  I feel like people who show up to work while sick have an inflated sense of self-importance.

(this does not include people who don't have a sick leave policy at work that allows them to stay home.  obviously, if your work is one where you show up or get fired, i get that you show up to work)

STUCK in the box;

My response to this... I would love to have enough leave to stay home. But every day I take before June is a day I'm taking away from maternity leave. So my coworkers are gonna be exposed to my cold bugs.

• omg @Stankonia2014 what a pain in the freaking ass!
    Tell me about it. I just had to meet with the principal and school social worker due to 10 unexcused absences because they lost DD's doctor notes. After that it's a referral to the county attorney to potentially be charged with neglect, so I'm that parent in for every fever, just to cover my own ass. 
  • @neludelu I don't normally have much to disagree with, but I am in the same boat as you and just had to use 2 days of leave. It sucks to not have the money later when you need it with a new baby, but bringing germs into the office and continuing the cycle of other people getting sick isn't the right thing to do. Just my 2 cents. 
    The bigger issue here is the lack of any type of paid maternity leave for many of us, so I get it. I just disagree with knowingly exposing other people to germs. 
  • neludelu said:
    krex said:

On top of @curlymommy416, when people freaking show up to work sick.  Guess what??  You are not the CEO of the company, and frankly your work is not so important that you can't sit your butt at home for a day and get better!  I feel like people who show up to work while sick have an inflated sense of self-importance.

(this does not include people who don't have a sick leave policy at work that allows them to stay home.  obviously, if your work is one where you show up or get fired, i get that you show up to work)

STUCK in the box;

My response to this... I would love to have enough leave to stay home. But every day I take before June is a day I'm taking away from maternity leave. So my coworkers are gonna be exposed to my cold bugs.

No, and I understand this.  My opinion was more for jerks who work at places like my company where it's really NOT a big deal, doesn't go against any PTO or leave, and still show up to work. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• I have zero days paid maternity or sick leave. I still try to stay home when I'm sick as a courtesy to others. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Wino0920Wino0920 member
    edited February 2017
    I have no logical reason why, and no real response to people opposed, but if I have a girl I wanr to pierce her ears young. Young as in baby. 
  • Wino0920 said:
    I have no logical reason why, and no real response to people opposed, but if I have a girl I wanr to pierce her ears young. Young as in baby. 
    My friend is Brazilian and got her DD's ears pierced as a baby.  I think she said it is a cultural in Brazil, but I have no clue.  
  • MH and I work in healthcare and the guilt we have over calling in sick is tremendous because someone HAS to cover our patients.  We know we shouldn't be spreading our sick germs but we usually go to work.  It's far from
    ideal but that's the reality unfortunately.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • LAMCH1980 said:
    I have zero days paid maternity or sick leave. I still try to stay home when I'm sick as a courtesy to others. 
    Go you!
  • neludelu said:
    Very unpopular I'm sure but... you skinny B's who only gain weight in your belly... yeah you... I'm irrationally annoyed by you. I get fat in my legs and arms before I have a cute belly. 
    Holla! There's one chick on a early 2017 BMB who looks like she swallowed a watermelon, she's freaking adorable and it doesn't look like she gained weight anywhere else. 

Meanwhile here i am: 

^^me
  • Wino0920 said:
    My mom went to take me but she watched another infant get pierced while waiting and then decided she couldn't do it... then she and my dad made it a huge deal to get mine done at 13... seriously.

I think it's fine as long as the piercing will stay straight as her ears grow.
  • I haven't thought much about ear piercing but I think I'll wait and let my daughter decide when she wants to get them done. I have a couple of friends who never got their ears pierced so there's a chance my girl wouldn't want that at all, so I will just wait and let her tell me.  I got mine pierced when I was nine at the mall and was old enough to clean them myself and kind of take care of it. 
  • MKRLTX said:
    Going off of what @krex said. Companies are all aiming to reduce healthcare costs and implement wellness prorams etc to keep their employees healthier and low risk, yet SO many companies only offer PTO rather than separate vacation and sick time benefits. People would be much more inclined to use a "sick day" than a PTO day when they may have already budgeted that time for vacation. I know that it works both ways and that employees should be responsible for having some days saved in case they are sick, but I have heard so many people go to work sick because they want to use that PTO day for something more fun. Bottom line even if it benefits some people who don't get sick to have the flexibility of it being called PTO, I think that all employers that want to keep their offices and employees healthy and germ free should have separate sick days to encourage people who are actually sick to stay home where they belong.

This.  We just have PTO and I HATE using it when I'm sick because I'd rather use it for vacation.  but I'm allowed to work from home, so usually if I'm feeling under the weather but good enough to work, I just stay home and log in from there.  I did use an actual PTO day yesterday though because I just wanted to sleep all day.  This year, since i'll be on leave for 16 weeks anyway, and not really traveling while super pregnant or with a very tiny baby, I don't think i'll use all of my PTO for actual vacations.

I would love to have a few actual sick days to mess with...but I feel like that would be a disaster because they'd take those out of our current PTO allowances and people would lose their minds about it.  if they gave us a few additional days every year for being sick though...I would gladly take it, and use them.

Also I had to bring DD to the doctor when she wasn't even actually sick at least 3 times when she first started daycare, because they wouldn't let her come back the next day without a doctor's note.  I believe that all three of these were because she had what was classified as three "loose" BMs that day.  Spoiler alert: when she was exclusively on breastmilk, ALL of her poops were liquid.  I mean all of them.  She blew out of a diaper at least once a day, and pooped at least 4-5 times a day.  But until daycare got used to that she kept getting sent home and it was ridiculously annoying.

On a related note, my UO is that I hate that the pediatrician has a "max" on daily consumption of whole cow's milk of 20oz.  DD eats a TON of solid food, and she loves milk.  Some days, when she asks for more after finishing her cup at dinner, it breaks my heart to have to tell her no because she's at the "max."  I know it's a lot of fat, but she's at a healthy weight.  What is so wrong with this?  I may have to change her over to 2% a little early so that she can keep drinking it.  She also drinks a lot of water, so I'm not worried about dehydration or anything, but if the kid wants to drink more milk, I don't see why I can't let her do it.  It's not affecting her solid food consumption, believe me.  The other night she ate an entire hot dog, an entire cheese quesadilla, two servings of steamed broccoli, a fruit puree packet, a bunch of animal crackers, and 8oz of milk.  And then she wanted more milk.  Why can't she have that?  It just seems stupid.

• I don't look pretty and glowing either.  Where is this beautiful hair I'm supposed to have?  No glowing skin... in fact it's slightly red and irritated looking these days.  My feet and ankles seemed to be turning into cankles thanks to this swelling have going on.  My lady bits are having night sweats.  I'm fat.  I can't shave my lady bits anymore... just bravely run the razor around down there and hope for the best.  Ok not really an UO but yes add me to the skinny pregnant lady hating club!
  • Wino0920 said:
    I was the same way. I wanted dds done asap, somehow I just didn't get around to it, and then she was able to mess with her ears...and now she's coming up on 4 with her ears still not done. Lol oh well. I'm really glad I waited anyway because now I want her to decide and I really want to take her to a professional with a needle. She asked a few months ago so we took her in, but they said they don't do it until she's 8. So now we're going to make a big day of it when she's 8, and I've been collecting cute little earrings for her whenever I come across them. For now she makes me put those tattoo earrings on her. Lol 

@delujm0 I would totally give it to her. I don't hold back food from kids unless it's cupcakes or something. Lol But I'm not one to listen to other people's rules. Even the pedi. 
  • I don't like the bachelor/bachelorette either!

I would like to get Chloe's ears pierced at a very young age but I don't think DH will go for it. The girls I babysit got them at 4 months and 7 months. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LAMCH1980 said:
    I have one. I don't feel like every edit requires a note about editing on here. Ex: edits for spelling or missing a word. If the message content has changed dramatically, it makes sense to me. Otherwise, we're just spending time reading a line about how someone edited for spelling. This is pointed at nobody in particular, as we all do it to follow ettiquette. 
    I could not agree more! When people edit because "words are hard today", I always wonder how many people have any idea what they had to edit. I make small edits all the time when I post and then re-read and I never note that I made an edit. I think it's only necessary when you add something to your post. 

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • HgPaHgPa member
    edited February 2017
    I feel like this may or may not by unpopular depending on how your work day is going, but he's my attempt at some controversy:

Women shouldn't have to work while they are pregnant. Medical reasons for short term disability or extended leave should be super lax.

In the future, when automation and advanced tech change the labor market and economy significantly, I think most people are going to get a basic guaranteed income. Preggos should be first in line.

I know that we can't ask for this now without setting women in the workplace back 100 years. Still, hopefully someday!
  • HgPa said:
    I feel like this may or may not by unpopular depending on how your work day is going, but he's my attempt at some controversy:

Women shouldn't have to work while they are pregnant. Medical reasons for short term disability or extended leave should be super lax.

In the future, when automation and advanced tech change the labor market and economy significantly, I think most people are going to get a basic guaranteed income. Preggos should be first in line.

I know that we can't ask for this now without setting women in the workplace back 100 years. Still, hopefully someday!
    Why not? I get if you have some type of medical issue relating to pregnancy, but if you have a 'normal' pregnancy, why shouldn't you have to work? 

I'd rather see this logic applied to people with serious medical issues (cancer, MS, etc.). If I'm capable of working while pregnant, I don't see why I shouldn't. I also don't agree with pregnant women getting first in line for guaranteed income.

Truly not being snarky, I just don't understand. 
  • @HgPa eh I disagree to some extent.  I mean if the woman has a physically demanding job, maybe.  But being pregnant doesn't mean you're broken.  I worked (and exercised) until the day I went into labor with DD and didn't feel like it affected me at all - in fact I think it's important to stay active while pregnant, and if I didn't have to go to work, I'd probably just sit on the couch all day and do nothing.  But, I have a desk job.  So I basically just sit all day and it's not an imposition to be pregnant while I'm doing my job.

I didn't even want to tell work I was pregnant because I HATE people treating me like I'm special and different just because I'm pregnant.  I'm doing what billions of women have done before me, I don't need special treatment.  Lots of pregnant women all over the world have it a lot harder than I do, so why should I be treated like a special snowflake just because I'm pregnant?

• Wearmi1 said:
    I don't look pretty and glowing either.  Where is this beautiful hair I'm supposed to have?  No glowing skin... in fact it's slightly red and irritated looking these days.  My feet and ankles seemed to be turning into cankles thanks to this swelling have going on.  My lady bits are having night sweats.  I'm fat.  I can't shave my lady bits anymore... just bravely run the razor around down there and hope for the best.  Ok not really an UO but yes add me to the skinny pregnant lady hating club!
    Welcome to the club!
  • @Stankonia2014 You are right that others with more serious conditions should have first consideration.

I think as the economy shifts it will be interesting to see if super generous leave policies seen in some smaller countries now become the overall trend worldwide.

I am exaggerating a little when I say pregnant women shouldn't have to work - if you can and want to, you should. I just think that if families are a priority for society, that should be reflected in policy and not just rhetoric. It seems like the bare minimum is done to support working families and I think we may see the pendulum swing way to the other side in our lifetimes.

It's certainly not the big labor struggle of the day. 
  • I'm the opposite- I get annoyed when pregnancy is seen as a "handicap" or that because you are pregnant you should get special treatment.

• I'm really trying to find an unpopular opinion to share here's the best I got:
    I think spiders are cool and let them live in my house freely!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HgPa, I certainly agree that it should be reflected in policy and I hope the leave policies start to trend worldwide, specifically in the US. 

I'm a government employee. I get zero paid time off other than what I've accrued thus far, all of which I am forced to use to cover maternity leave, otherwise I don't keep accruing while I am out. I did just receive an email stating that Ivanka is urging her father to reform parental leave policies and that new legislation is being introduced under the new administration. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe they'll get something right under 45's tenure.