Infertility
Options

Would you even consider?

going to a clinic with a 35% success rate??? (note: not my current clinic)
Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
iUI #1- BFN
IUI #2-BFN
IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks

Re: Would you even consider?

• Options
    I wouldn't consider them unless there was a good reason like they treat my specific issue. I would want to know why their success rate is 35%. 
    Me:32 DH:36
    Me: DOR, poor egg quality, MTHFR
    DH: MFI
    TTC since 3/2014
    2015: 3 IUI's-BFN
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    3/2016: RE suggested donor eggs- taking an ivf break and to supplement 
    9/2016: 3rd ivf cycle-cancelled due to early ovulation
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos
    1/9/17: transferred 1 embryo-BFP 1/16
    1/18/17: beta #1-104
    1/20/17: beta #2-174
    2/2/17: first u/s, heartbeat of 107 at 6w1d
    7/20/17: baby boy born at 30+3 via emergency c-section 

• Options
    adiratadirat member
    edited February 2017
    Depends on the reason.

Is their success rate low because they accept EVERY couple? Some will exclude women over age 40 to keep their numbers up. If that were the reason, it wouldn't really concern me (though I'd ask if they can share success rates for my age range or AMH range). And like @kp214 I'd go if they addressed my specific issue. 

But if they don't have a reason for their rates, I would be wary. 

Edit - @rainbowwishes5 what is making you want to move from your current clinic? That is also relevant to your decision. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @adirat I have had zero success with my clinic and also they don't do fresh transfers. Also they tell me I keep having TW------- losses because of stress? They have no explanations. They say they think I'll be able to have a living child but have no reason to back that up and and and ugh I'm just tired of them so I'm looking at my other options...... They do say their rates are so low because they take everyone but on sart.org 35% was for under 35 years of age.....
    Siggy Warning--------

iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
  • Options
    @adirat- found out their numbers are more like 25% success and with only 3 retrievals left and me being a VERY poor responder I can't risk the 1 or 2 embryos I'll ever have left (if I'm lucky to get that many) on a 25% success rate. Ugh.
    Siggy Warning--------

iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
  • Options
    @adirat- I see a counselor when I can but---- I'm already $20k in the hole- about to be $35k in the hole and I'm not a millionaire. I can't really afford anything more than the $100k I have budgeted over 3 years for these treatments. That's all my money. I can't do anything more. This is my support group. My closest one is over an hour away at awkward times and I can't make it. Plus I don't want to meet people in person. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Siggy Warning--------

iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
  • Options
    35% for the age bracket under 35 years seems low. 25% is very low. Are you considering them because they are less expensive than other clinics in your area? It won't be a bargain if it doesn't work. Trust me I know what it feels like to have your finances stretched to the limit but better to spend more or get a loan and feel confident with your clinic and get a positive outcome than to save a few bucks with a clinic with a bad record and feel pessimistic about your treatment and possibly more likely walk away with nothing.

However before ruling them out I would ask more questions such as if they do a large percentage of single embryo transfers as this can lower the success rates at bit compared to clinics that more often transfer two embryos at a time. Also ask them more specifically what their success rates are for just the women who have the same IF challenges as you. If they take even the most difficult cases than no point in comparing yourself to peole who have very different fertility challenges than you. If they won't give you detailed information to your questions than the clinic might be better to avoid. When I was trying to pick a clinic I immediately eliminated any clinic who would not or could not answer my questions about the things most important to me. If it were me I would not go with a clinic I didn't feel 100% confidence in because its already hard enough to stay positive through all of this so I can  imagine it would be even harder to stay positive if you don't feel confident in your clinic.

I was recently looking for a new clinic too because I thought I could find a less expensive place that would be just as good but as soon as I started talking to them I realized the cheaper price came with a lot of cons. They were not able to provide me success rates, avoided all of my questions and I just had a bad feeling about it. So I gave up and decided to stick with the same clinic I was planning on using as they were slightly more expensive but always answered my questions thourghly, had pretty good success rates and I just feel confident going with them.

Dont give up, I don't know were you live but keep looking. Look at near by states. If you live near Canada than look in Canada as there are a lot of good clinics there that are reasonable. There is usually a good clinic with decent prices near most people or one of the near by states. 
    Me (34) My Man (37)
    TTC with IVF due to MFI and Mild PCOS

IVF #1 - scheduled November 2017