July 2017 Moms

FTM Check in Valentine's Edition!

This is a check in for First Time Mamas.

How far along are you?

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go?

Rants/raves? 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? 

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn?
Me: 31 DH: 31
  <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
CP 3/2019

Re: FTM Check in Valentine's Edition!

• How far along are you? 17+1

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? I don't think so.  I'm possibly starting to feel baby movements, which is exciting!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Nope.  Appointment with endocrinologist on Friday and then nothing until the anatomy scan on 3/2.

Rants/raves? I bought some wall decals for the nursery (woodland themed with cute little forest animals) and I am irrationally excited about them!

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn?
    I studied Italian in college and lived there for a semester, but have lost most of my skills now :'( My sister lives in Ecuador, so I get to use my limited Spanish skills when we visit.  I mostly get confused with Italian words running around in my brain lol.
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy Yay for maybe movements! I'm in the same boat... just waiting for an obvious kick to confirm!

How far along are you? 16+5

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Just getting a bit sore on occasion - my lower back was super tight over the weekend and I had a weird twinge in my hip. Also think I experienced RLP for the first time... I coughed and basically doubled over in pain for a split second. Joy.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Nope, nothing until my A/S on March 6.

Rants/raves? We got our current office/future nursery cleared out over the weekend! I've never been so excited about an empty room. It's already painted (we painted right when we moved in) but we need to get the trim done then we can start really nesting!

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Hmmmmm, did you use a pregnancy pillow? If so, which one? I'm thinking about splurging on the Snoogle, but am open to ideas.

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn? I can count to ten in about six different languages, but I don't think that counts! I would like to learn Spanish, just for practical purposes!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Loading the player...
  • @RunRestRepeat I have a Snoogle, and so far I'm not a fan.  I don't like laying my head on the Snoogle - I prefer my normal pillow.  I also don't like that it keeps me from turning over (but I guess that's kind of the point lol).  I think there is a Snoogle Mini that might be more like what I'm looking for, if you have the same concerns.
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy That's exactly my concern! I love my regular pillow, so I need to find something that allows me to keep using that. I'll look into the mini Snoogle - thanks!!

• stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    How far along are you?  19w6d

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?  Think I can finally feel baby moving now.  I can definitely start to feel some stretching in my stomach and I find it hard to sit completely upright or lean forward without it feeling like my uterus is going to fall out of my vagina LOL!  My breasts have not stopped hurting since the beginning.   

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go?   None but anatomy scan tomorrow!  EXCITED!!! :D

Rants/raves?  Nothing I haven't already got out on the Monday bitchfest lol! I could rave about my new crib mattress that I ordered yesterday.  Super stoked about it!  (Naturepedic 2-in-1 Ultra)    

Questions for FTM, or STM+?  I feel like I had some but now I can't remember.  
    STM's - When did you decide to buy a breast pump?  I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money before baby comes just in case BF'ing doesn't work out.  

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn?  No but man ... French would be a definite first to learn for me as my city is fairly bilingual and it would just be beneficial.  My town is building a new (and first) French school.  I hope to send my kiddos there so that they don't miss any opportunities not being able to speak our 2 official languages.  I would also like to learn how to speak Spanish and maybe something less common like German or Russian.  Although Chinese is actually listed as the most used language in the world.   
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • This is a check in for First Time Mamas.

How far along are you?
    17w2d
    I'm more tired on a consistent basis.
    Not yet! One on Thursday.
    Rants/raves? 
    Rant: Boston's public transit was terrible this morning. We'd had almost 24 hours of no snow, get it together.
    Rave: I had a great evening walk yesterday. It was cold af but I bundled up and was so glad to have some outdoor time.

I used to be pretty conversational in french, especially in college. Fun fact, I was interviewed IN french for a french radio show while at a french airport during my junior year. I couldn't do that now!

• How far along are you?
    17 + 2 Days

a wee bit more emotional.
    tummy has gotten bigger this week 
    some tiny pimples came grrr

Yes yesterday, just a regular check up to check heart beat. Iv never been so relieved and happy to hear a heart beat 
    Rants/raves? 
    Rants: MBF says it all 
    i don't want to spend money on clothes but I do need new clothes because things aren't fitting the same. 
    raves: I ate two valentine brownie cookies me happy(they are at Whole Foods in the cookie section in fair lakes, anyone near by please try them!) 
    it's my wedding anniversary this Saturday (18th Feb) 5 years !!! 

STM: did you do anything to stop your hair falling during breast feeding, any tips? 
    FTM: is if bad to lie down on ur back, like right now I'm using my phone lieing down on my back. 

YAS. I speak and write and read Urdu fluently.  I can read Arabic but can't write or fully understand it. I can understand Hindi well but can't read or write it. I took some German lessons in college but I lost interest.
    i wish I knew how to speak French!!!  

How far along are you? 19w6d (@stokesm21 we are due date buddies and both getting our anatomy scan tomorrow :lol:

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Definitely feeling movement!! Lower back pain, occasional headaches and dizziness. Needing to pee ALL the time.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? None - anatomy scan tomorrow!!

Rants/raves? DH and I hung some wall decor in our dining room the other night and I just love the way it looks! I've loved getting to decorate and set up our new home. I can't wait to start doing the nursery...

Questions for FTM, or STM+? None that I can think of at the moment...

One of my good friends in high school was deaf, and I got pretty good at sign language for a while!! I wasn't fluent and it was pretty sloppy (not formal ASL) but I really enjoyed getting to learn it, and I still remember a lot of it. As far as speaking a language, I would love to learn Italian.
  • @BusyZee Happy anniversary!  I don't think it's bad to lay on your back at this point.  It becomes a concern after 20 weeks when it constricts your breathing and bloodflow.
    CP 3/2019
  • edited February 2017
    How far along are you?  16+3

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?  Feeling some 'flutters'.  Very infrequent but exciting!  And recently had some itchy nipples, and I swear my boobs are sweaty. 

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go?  None

Rants/raves?   things that are stupid: love blasts on Facebook for you spouse, when your spouse is not on Facebook. I do not need to know, nor do I care how 'sweet/awesome/wonderful/loving, etc' your spouse is.  Tell them, not the world.

Questions for FTM, or STM+?  --

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn? I was fluent in German through high school and college but once I stopped taking classes, I lost it.  I can still read and speak a few phrases.  I'd really love to learn Italian. 

etc: words are hard. 
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• @RunRestRepeat I sneezed on Sunday and my RLP was so intense I started crying.  DH was really worried about me and almost didn't let me leave to go shopping.  

I have a Boppy body pillow and wedge and I like it well enough.  I am a belly sleeper so pretty much haven't been comfortable in weeks.  

@stokesm21 did you see if you qualify through insurance?  I filled out an application and then they do everything including getting the script from your doctor, etc. 

• How far along are you? 17+1

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Random RLP jolts when I stand up to quickly.  Also had a freaky feeling of heaviness last night in my uterus.  So strange.  It went away in about five mins.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Nothing until A/S on 3/10.

Rants/raves? Rave - DH has stepped up a lot this last week and he's been so sweet and helpful with just a dash of jerkiness which is great!  Rant - We had horrible weather this morning that led to tornado warnings all across the city and we had to stand in the middle hallway of our 20-something story building (I'm in the top third).  I went through rolling panic as there were reports of tornadoes where DH works, then rotation over our house, then it moved to where I work, and finally moved on.  Exhausting.

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn?  I took many years of French, but can't recall a whole lot of it now.  I also can understand Spanish pretty well and read it for the most part, but my parents never taught me so I'm in the awkward generation of Mexican-Americans that don't speak Spanish.  DH is as well.

@SquirttheTurtle SAME.  Belly sleeper all the way.  I am having such a hard time side sleeping.  I ordered my snoogle hoping it'll help, but I just can't stand not being on my stomach.  Stomach sleeping has gotten uncomfortable, so it's like I can't win these days.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @stokes21 Hooray for anatomy scan!!! Are pumps not covered through insurance in Canada? I just have to let my insurance company know and they’ll have it ready at the hospital.

@kat0607 I’d love to learn ASL. I know the alphabet, but that’s about all.

@squirttheturtle Probably TMI, but I was in a public restroom when this happened and almost cried out in pain. That could have been hella awkward! I’ll also have to check out the Boppy body pillow – I didn’t realize they make one. The wedge could also be helpful – I’m a back sleeper so I’m trying to break myself of the habit now!

• stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    @stokesm21 did you see if you qualify through insurance?  I filled out an application and then they do everything including getting the script from your doctor, etc. 
    My pump is not covered. :( It's a really good benefits plan too so I was surprised.  I went through the booklet the other day just to be sure (I had emailed the company) and no dice.  Boooo!  

ETA

@RunRestRepeat Not mine unfortunately.  Probably because it's an independent company that is used only by unions.  I'm not sure.  Just pulling crap out of my ass LOL!  Seems like a valid point. :P 

How far along are you? 20 weeks ( shit is getting real)

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?  nothing new, I know belly is growing and what goes along with that.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? good see doctor in a few weeks again

Rants/raves?  I am pretty neutral. H got me really flowers delivered at work, like a really embarrassingly beautiful bouquet. 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Not really, I have so many I cant think go one.

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn? I am fluent in sign language. My brother is deaf.  I am also fairly fluent in french have to be for work.
  • @RunRestRepeat  this is the pillow/wedge I got:

My boobs hurt so much during the first tri that I started sleeping on my back/side.  As I get closer to 20 weeks, I know I can't sleep on my back, so trying to train myself to sleep on my side.  Last night, I got 3 hours before I woke up.  Longest stretch so far!

• @stokesm21 Chinese is probably the most used because of how large the Chinese population is. 

How far along are you? 19 weeks! 

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? I almost passed out last night, but thankfully was home and didn't. Baby movements are much bigger and more noticeable now. I don't know why I'm feeling it so much, but on Sunday me, my husband, and my MIL all saw my belly noticeably move as the baby wiggled. 

Surprise appointment on Friday because I forgot to cancel it (oops!). AS next Tuesday!!!!! 

Rants/raves? It's a small thing, but I went to a LaLeche meeting today, and not only are they really great, but the one woman had her two week old baby there. I have never seen a human baby that young in real life, and seeing the actual size was really reassuring. I've only ever seen 1 1/2 month olds, and the size was freaking me out until I saw her baby today. 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Not a question as much as a resignation but: I'm 19 weeks and I still have ms. It isn't bad, but its hanging around. Is it going to be here for the rest of the pregnancy? Will it disappear once I give birth? And should I expect it to get worse again at any point? 

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn? I took 4 years of French in high school but can't remember any of it. I would love to learn Spanish, but for the practicality of it. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • RunRestRepeatRunRestRepeat member
    edited February 2017
    @stokesm21 I totally would have believed you if you hadn't called yourself out :)
    @SquirttheTurtle I was just looking at the wedge! I think it could be a good way to prevent me from rolling on my back!

ETA - apparently I'm in the mood to skip punctuation at the end of sentences today...

• @RunRestRepeat  it does help.  My doctor did say that I could 'lay' on my back at a 45* angle so this allows for me to at least roll on to my back a little. 

• @RunRestRepeat No pregnancy pillow here, just used a regular pillow between my thighs or calves towards the end. I personally wouldn't waste money on a pregnancy pillow.

@stokesm21 My best friend gave me her Medela pump when I was about 8 months pregnant last time, I bought new pump parts on Amazon and it worked perfectly through 14 months of occasional pumping, and I'll use the same one again this time. I got a cheapie one through my insurance but it didn't work very good. 
  • How far along are you?
    16 + 4

Sore boobs again. Morning sickness when I wake up super early. Can't sleep through the night. 

I had an appt yesterday with my OB. Got to listen to the heartbeat on a Doppler. It was in the 150s so nice and strong. 

Rants/raves? 
    Hubby bought me a video game and sour candies for Valentine's Day. So I'm enjoying some game time while DSS is at school. 

I minored in Spanish during undergrad, but never became fluent. I can get by in conversations, but I'm a better reader/writer. My brain can't seem to translate quick enough lol. I really want to learn Japanese and German though!
  • @BusyZee Do you mean like keeping your hair out of your face while breastfeeding? I just wrapped my hair up in a bun most of those early days...

and you'll have to check with your doc about the lying on your back business, but my OB is pretty relaxed about that. She says "sleep however you're comfortable" and so I do. I don't mind lying on my back, sleeping on my back etc. I usually sleep on my side, but I don't panic if I wake up and realize I'm on my back. I also still do some Pilates and stretches on my back, but not for prolonged periods of time. 
  • @mrscate88 iv heard from family and friends that when you start breast feeding you lose a lot of hair, some people's hair gets really nice during pregnancy (not with me, it's gotten worse) and so I was thinking if any supplements or anything would help for the "later" hair loss just in case. Ugh I miss my hair
  • BusyZee said:
    @mrscate88 iv heard from family and friends that when you start breast feeding you lose a lot of hair, some people's hair gets really nice during pregnancy (not with me, it's gotten worse) and so I was thinking if any supplements or anything would help for the "later" hair loss just in case. Ugh I miss my hair
    Oh I gotcha. I didn't lose TONS of hair, but it did start falling out again after my baby arrived. I just kept taking my prenatal vitamins and my hair and nails stayed relatively strong. 
  • @BusyZee From what I understand about the hair loss, it's not actually breastfeeding itself, but the pregnancy and the fact that it's over. You retain more of your hair that you would normally lose during pregnancy (hormones) and after you give birth that extra hair comes out. Sometimes in chunks. If you aren't retaining that hair, it's possible that you won't have that reaction, but I don't know for sure. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @kerils honestly iv lost hair, I had been losing hair for a year because I dyed it like crazy and I had great hair to begin with. Pregnancy was kind of my last hope but I lost even more lol. I hope what your saying is right!
  • How far along are you? 20w2d

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? nothing new

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? We had our anatomy scan today, which was pretty good, although (I mentioned this in the A/S thread) there's a little cardiac abnormality that we need to follow up on for the little one.

Rants/raves? We're having a girl! We're super excited!! I'm also excited for the slow cooker ribs we're having for dinner tonight lol

Questions for FTM, or STM+? none today

Yes, I also speak Haitian Creole and am pretty good reading/understanding French. My grammar isn't great but I could get by if needed.
    @spongeworthy I used to speak Italian fairly well also! I started in 7th grade through sophomore year of college and I wanted to study abroad but it never worked out with my major.  I've now lost a lot of my Italian but my husband is Italian and speaks none lol so apparently I'll have to teach our kids both Italian and Creole! 

Re: snoogle - I have the Leachco sleeper keeper from walmart, which is supposedly like the snoogle but cheaper lol.  I have a love/hate relationship with it! I still have issues with my neck sometimes- sometimes the pillow is enough support for it but sometimes I need my actual pillows and I use the "snoogle" to help support the rest of my body. I rest my stomach on it, which makes me feel like I'm at least sleeping partially on my stomach, which is nice as I am also a stomach-sleeper.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• How far along are you? 20w 4d

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Oh, just not being able to walk! I guess it's Pelvic Girdle Pain. I was in such agony all day yesterday that I broke down and took advil to be able to sleep... Hoping I can avoid tonight but I do need to actually do my commute and go into the office tomorrow. It might be bad!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Not sure, how often do we do this? lol I had a boring appointment last week.
    I'm now trying to get an appointment with a chiropractor, so I'm bummed that she didn't answer my email today.

Rants/raves? We finally took our announcement photo, and now that I'm in such pain, I'm putting the "fb official" on hold again. Up until yesterday, I had a really good/uneventful pregnancy, and now I don't want to discuss it!
    Also my hot tub randomly turned itself off, so no soaking for me tonight :-( :-(

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Not atm

GTKY: Do you speak a language, other than your first language? If so, which? If not, what is a language you would like to learn? 
    Nope

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @kat0607 @SquirttheTurtle @manillabar Sounds like we all need some Italian lessons lol.  I'd love to take DH to Italy someday, so I'll have to get to studying!
    CP 3/2019
  •  How far along are you? 17 weeks

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?  I have bad siatica pain and sharp pains in my upper right back. Sleeping throughout the night has become almost impossible :) hence this 5am post. So much fun!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Yes, found out we're having a little boy on Monday! I have a daughter at home, so having one of each will be awesome. My daughter has also been screaming at my belly since week 4 "YOU BETTER BE A BOY IN THERE!!", so my husband and I are excited to see her reaction when we tell her this weekend.

Rants/raves?  I long for the days my entire body doesn't hurt and I don't have to pee every 5 minutes

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Not yet

All of my grandparents immigrated from Italy and both of my parents speak Italian fluently. Unfortunately they never taught me how to speak Italian because my mom failed gr 1 since she only knew Italian and didn't want us to get our languages mixed up. I can understand most of it, and can say simple sentences/words, but definitely want to become more proficient with time.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Side note - I refer to my step-daughter as my daughter because her mom died and I've helped raise her since she was 3 (she's 7 now). This is my first pregnancy though and it's a lot more difficult /complicated than I expected it to be haha
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @yanchuss Yay!  I bet your daughter will be so excited to have a baby brother :smile: Let us know how it goes!
    CP 3/2019
  • @yanchuss Congrats on your baby boy!!
    @GlitterFish I'm sorry that you are in so much pain - I hope the chiro gets back to you soon!

• mrscate88 said:

@stokesm21 My best friend gave me her Medela pump when I was about 8 months pregnant last time, I bought new pump parts on Amazon and it worked perfectly through 14 months of occasional pumping, and I'll use the same one again this time. I got a cheapie one through my insurance but it didn't work very good. 
    The Medela's are good.  I've been looking into the Spectra S1 which is a bit cheaper but has a way more powerful motor.  Verdicts still out as I'm still doing my research but it seems to be my top pick at the moment.  I've never even heard of it until I started doing the research.  I think because it's only available in the US but I have been able to find it to get it shipped to Canada.  If only my dollar was better I'd be buying a LOT of stuff from the US haha!