Baby Showers

Shower Invitation Dilemma

I have a dilemma, and I'm looking for some advice.  My sisters-in-law are throwing a baby shower for me, and they're about to send out evites (as soon as I give them the list, which I was planning on doing today).  My dilemma is this: I have a friend I was planning to invite, but I saw her at an event this weekend (she knew I'd be there) and she brought me a baby gift.  Now I'm afraid that if I invite her, it will come across like "thanks for the gift, here's an invitation to an event to bring me another!"  I'm just not sure what to do.  I kind of wonder if she brought the gift because she wanted to get us something and wasn't expecting to be invited to a shower?  My mom said to go with my gut, but my gut is currently hormonal and confused, with a complete inability to be logical :)

Re: Shower Invitation Dilemma

• Invite her anyway. I wouldn't feel obligated to bring an additional gift if I had given you one prior to your shower, especially if I had not been invited to a shower yet at that point. If you're really worried about it, you can privately reassure her that you're not expecting an additional gift and that you just want her to be able to enjoy the festivities. If you're worried that she will feel singled out when you're opening the gifts from everyone else and she doesn't have one, you can always thank her for her earlier gift in front of everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with all of the above. If you send her a note/email to say thank you for the gift, you could mention that you passed along her details for the invitation mailing and that she should be receiving the invite soon, and you'd love to see her again soon to share in the celebration. That would help make it clear that you appreciate the gift and hope she attends!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had two friends that gave me gifts early on. Before they got the shower invite I texted them and made it clear they did not need to get me anything else, I just wanted them to know they were important to me so I still invited them.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!