Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Check-in Week Feb13th

This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another.  Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say, and treat this like an ongoing conversation. 

Diagnosis (If you've been): 

Cycle/CD: 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?)

How are things going?

Any questions? 

GTKY: Do you have any plans for valentines day? 
*TW*
TTC 1/2012
Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
TTC #3 5/2016
Restarted Fertility tx
IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

Re: IF/Testing Check-in Week Feb13th

• Loading the player...
  • @TravelingCouple hugs girl. I hope talking to someone will help

@heatherdubrow Its so exciting that your lining check is finally this week! I am so excited for you to finally be in the TWW!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @JuneRoseRuby I'd be interested in reading it, what's the title?
  • @TravelingCouple https://a.co/hLqet2g Here is the Amazon link 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @TravelingCouple https://a.co/hLqet2g Here is the Amazon link 
    Thanks, I just ordered a copy!
  • @wabash15 and @JuneRoseRuby Thank you! I'm super excited and hopeful! Plus it will be nice to finally post in TWW! I feel like I've been in WTO for an eternity
  • @JuneRoseRuby DH's response is heartbreaking. poor guy. I just want to give you both a big hug. I hope you get some good news or at the very least have a solid plan after Wednesdays appointment. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @laurad75 I'll keep sending those embies positive vibes. Do you ever see Dr. Domar? Do you like her clinic?
    @wabash15 Thanks for the hugs. I try to keep my mind clear and hopeful and focused during my workouts lately too. I know I've said it before, but I keep telling myself I am prepping my body to be as strong as possible for what comes next IF wise. 

Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016

• @JuneRoseRuby Yes, I have seen her a few times at the clinic but I have not received any treatment from her.  The Domar Center is in the same building as my IVF clinic (Boston IVF - she mentions it in her book) which is just around the corner from my office so I can go for acupuncture in the middle of the day. 
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 I can't wait to hear how they're maturing!! 

@wabash15 I'm seriously on pins and needles for you! I hope this is it!!
  • @laurad75 That's really cool! 
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016

• @zwink1 I'm sorry life is so chaotic and up in the air right now. IF sucks and its hard to plan. GL with your HSG this week and big hugs
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @heatherdubrow I'm so excited for your TWW! :)
    @laurad75 I think I will be, just need to call my insurance to find one that's covered, hopefully.
    @zwink1 I'm sorry you're going through so much... Sounds like it was a rough weekend for a lot of us emotionally. 
  • @Bababatty sorry your on to another cycle. Fx DH's SA goes better today
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @Bababatty That was nice H did the dishes. I think my H had some guilt over AF this month too because I was yelling like a monster that I needed chocolate and he got me a giant Reeses valentine's day heart on his way home from work, which he never does. 

@zwink1 I find that IF woes hit me at weird times. I'll be coasting and feeling numb and then wham! It hits me like a ton of bricks. 
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016

• Ok calling all the fabulous ladies who helped me last time about Clomid vs Femara @antoto @Bababatty @Everycol0r @wabash15 ..sorry if I'm missing anyone.

Ok ladies, I just spoke to my RE for about 30 mins and I'm royally confused. I mean, she gave me a lot of information but I still don't know what step to move forward with. So, news to me, she said that my chart indicates possible PCOS...this is NEWS to me, and I told her so. I said that was never discussed as a possible diagnosis any other time I came in. She said that usually comes up in the original 1-hour session when we go over history, but I don't remember that being discussed. I feel like I would've remembered that. She said that PCOS is indicated based on my irregular cycles, my follicular count during my ultrasound at CD3 (I had 19 follicles which she said is high), and also my AMH is higher than normal, at 8.9... She confirmed the fact that I did not have any cysts though. This is ALL NEWS TO ME. WTH.  When I had my ultra long discussion with this RE after my HSG, we were told all tests came back normal, aside from DH's slighly low morphology. And now I have PCOS? I am pretty frustrated right now. So I asked her if I've been wasting my time with just taking the Progesterone and she said that it sounded like I wanted to start with the least invasive treatment first, which is true. But I obviously would've have picked an option that wouldn't give us much of a shot if we're not addressing the issue. 

So then I asked her about Femara vs Clomid, especially if I do have PCOS which I am still reeling about, and she said that one is not preferred over the other for PCOS patients. This practice tends to start with Clomid first since it's been studied longer, and then if the patient doesn't respond well to the first month (i.e. thin lining, not enough mature eggs), then we'd move on to something else. But I'm ultra confused now about whether to move forward with the Clomid or try Femara first..she said I could do either. The thing is...I can't even start all over again with another RE because this is the only one my insurance covers in a 100 mile radius. I have no idea what to even do right now. Sorry for the novel.
    ---
    I've looked for one on that site before @Bababatty and the closest one in my area is an hour away. Maybe I should consider starting my own though.
  • @TravelingCouple wow that is intense to find out that way. Sounds like a massive cluster of miscommunication. I have PCOS and I was told that femara and clomid are pretty equally effective. I started with clomid for a few cycles and then tried femara. I found there were less side effects with femara. As long as you're being monitored I think it would be fine to go with either one. Wishing you so much luck! 
  • Thank you so much @KristoKekerooni. I know there's no magical answer of what to say, but knowing I'm not alone helps immensely.

Yeah it wasn't exactly awesome @heatherdubrow. The RE did apologize over the phone as she said it should've been discussed in my primary appt. Which I did have with a different RE within the same practice. But how do I even know if I actually DO have PCOS? Is it only indicated by cysts, which I don't have..?

I have to say that the research on possible birth defects while on Femara is off-putting. And then the possible thinning of the uterine lining isn't so great with Clomid. I suppose anytime you introduce IF treatment it's not going to be a walk in the park. Sometimes I want to shake a fist at God (who I do so wholeheartedly believe in) and say "WHAT THE HECK MAN?!" I'm just feeling a bit bitter recently, sorry for always being so negative :(
  • @TravelingCouple Oi.  First, I am so sorry that you're frustrated and that your RE seems... well... not the best.  I am deeply shocked that your RE thinks women with PCOS should do Clomid as a first option over Femara.  My RE said that he never gives PCOS patients Clomid.  If you stay with this RE I would demand Femara, pass on the Clomid.  

Do you know if you had 19 follicles in one ovary or between the two?  Did she say specifically what parts of your bloodwork indicated PCOS? What was your Testosterone? Did you do insulin resistance testing?

TBH... I would go get a second opinion somewhere else.  You totally might have PCOS... but will you really ever be able to trust this practice ever again?  
  • @TravelingCouple cysts are actually the same as follicles - they are just what we call immature follicles.  Same thing.
  • @travelingcouple first I'm sorry that you're going through this - sounds like a major ball was dropped with communicating your results. It can be a lot to digest so give yourself some time to process the information before making any decisions. So FWIW, my doctor has mentioned femara being more successful with PCOS. I don't know all the details around that but hopefully someone else will chime in. 

• @antoto Thanks for the input. She didn't say whether it was between both ovaries or two. The specific blood work she was mentioning was my AMH level, which was 8.9. She said that, with the higher number of follicles and irregular cycles are what indicate PCOS. I don't even know if they tested my testosterone? Ack I hate feeling so ill-informed.

The thought of driving over 2 hours away and going through all the testing again at a new practice makes me want to cry.
  • @antoto Thanks for the input. She didn't say whether it was between both ovaries or two. The specific blood work she was mentioning was my AMH level, which was 8.9. She said that, with the higher number of follicles and irregular cycles are what indicate PCOS. I don't even know if they tested my testosterone? Ack I hate feeling so ill-informed.

The thought of driving over 2 hours away and going through all the testing again at a new practice makes me want to cry.
    I would call your RE and ask if they tested your testosterone.  If they say no then I would be super suspicious of them giving you treatment offerings before a truly official diagnosis.  I mean... if they didn't do testosterone and they didn't do Insulin then there's just no way they can confirm for sure.  I mean 19 cysts are a lot - even between both ovaries.  Like I said - it's absolutely possible that you have it.  I just am getting bad vibes about how their practice opperates.

If they didn't give you the 3 hour insulin test then they wouldn't know if you're IR or NIR PCOS - and the treatment is different depending on which of those you have.
  • @antoto OK I'll call back tomorrow and ask about the testosterone. They did check my insulin because I had fasting blood work done and I remember the nurse saying they were testing insulin. I need a full copy of all my reports...
  • @TravelingCouple I'm so sorry that you found out that way. Definitely a huge gap in communication. YOu may not have to repeate all the testing at a different RE, but may have to do some of it over again.  I would give it a day or two, talk with DH and see how you feel. Do you feel you can move forward and not second guess this RE or is the trust broken.  as for the femera I believe that the risk of birth defects is if you take it when pregnant not when taking it to increase the number of follicles developed. hugs girl
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• edited February 2017
    @antoto OK I'll call back tomorrow and ask about the testosterone. They did check my insulin because I had fasting blood work done and I remember the nurse saying they were testing insulin. I need a full copy of all my reports...
    Make sure it was 3 hour.  If it's not 3 hour than it's not reliable for diagnosing NIR or IR

ETA you would know if it was the 3 hour one actually.  You have to stay there for 3 hours and get poked multiple times.
  • Thanks @hartmich, seems like most REs recommend Femara over Clomid for PCOS. Just not mine. Or, at least, mine doesn't have a preference.

@antoto No it wasn't that then. The only time I've done that was while pregnant with DS to check for GD. So, is PCOS something you have all of your life? Or something I could have developed after having DS?
  • @TravelingCouple Oh wow, that is a major bombshell to drop! It is ridiculous that it wasn't brought up when you went over your test results. I'm so sorry. I don't know anything about PCOS, unfortunately, but I think the others with more experience have good advice. Perhaps do this IUI with femara, if you're worried about missing the cycle, while getting an appointment with another RE for a second opinion? Make sure you get copies of your whole file and maybe they won't make you re-do the tests, especially if you're just seeing them to confirm PCOS and not start your treatment over at a new practice. 

As as for the fertility group, it's too bad there isn't one closer. Starting your own isn't a bad idea, but in that case I also fully support your plan to see a therapist one-on-one. Good luck!!
  • @TravelingCouple I've had pcos since I was 17, but plenty of people I know have developed it(or started showing symptoms) later. There are multiple criteria for diagnosis but testosterone is a big one. I am not insulin resistant but I have high testosterone and 'string of pearl' ovaries.

@antoto that is so interesting about not using clomid. Did they say why? My RE was on board with clomid or femara and I definitely trust her judgement and level of expertise. I wonder if there is new information that wasn't out there 5 years ago when I used clomid...
  • @TravelingCouple you have it all your life, unfortunately.  It's weird because some women can have it and still get pregnant really easily - like Maci Bookout from Teen Mom has it and has had 3 unplanned pregnancies.  And then you have women who have a way harder time. Or maybe for one year it's easy and one year it's hard. PCOS is dumb.

@heatherdubrow Yeah the RE said it was less likely than Clomid to create giant cysts and in his experience just tended to yield better overall results.