September 2016 Moms

February Randoms

It's February now so I figured we should start a February Randoms. 

Here is a random to get us started. I'm currently pumping in my office's Mother's Room and one whole wall is covered with the birth announcements of all the babies whose moms worked in our office. It makes me happy everytime I see it.

Re: February Randoms

• Wish we had something like that. I use one of r consultation rooms, that we don't use, as my pumping room. We supposedly have a pumping room, old office, but it isn't on the same floor of the hospital as my unit so it is a pain to try and get it done in time allotted.
  • Speaking of pumping at work, this  video made me laugh. It's called "if men breastfed"

https://youtu.be/Rko_jlXgiy8
  • Loading the player...
  • Haha! I've been tempted to hook my husband up to the pump :)
    my LO keeps busting out of her swaddle, but then gets pissed. So I got out the woombie we had from my son. She cracks me up in it! Like a little bean :)
  • I pump in my office as I have my own space at work...but I wish I had a dedicated spot for it because I tend to continue working while I'm pumping and I think my lack of focus is slightly affecting my milk output.
  • How much is everyone pumping at work? I end up getting between 12 and 18 oz depending on the day. I pump three times. I'm sure we all vary but I was just curious how many times everyone is pumping. It takes so much time! I also pump in my office and work through it.
  • @molosmiles I can only manage to squeeze in one or two sessions but I really need three. I pump as soon as I can in the morning and try for afternoon and right before I leave. I get about 4oz each session. Which isn't as much as baby eats at day care. (Missy can knock out 20 oz!). 

I hate hate hate hate pumping. I try to relax and focus on milk-making but always get interrupted even when my "pumping" sign is up. 
  • I pump before work, then pump about 4 hours after I get to work, and then pump again before bed. If I am at work more than 8 hours, I will pump again. I usually only pump once because I oversupply. I typically get anywhere from 8-12 oz a pumping session and that is with only pumping 10 mins. I was getting 12-15 oz a session. Xavier eats about 20-24 oz a day from bottles and nurses twice on days I work.
  • Ellie eats about 15 oz while I'm at work but she eats A LOT with me. So who knows how much she's getting but she wants to eat all the time. Lol. She sees me and thinks food I guess. I wish I had the over supply issue. Pumping once or twice a day would be nice! You'll have a good freezer stash!
  • Oh I do already. I actually gave an entire month's worth of milk to a co-worker because she dried up but still wanted her daughter to have breastmilk. Next time I won't start pumping until a couple weeks or month before I go back to work. Not two months like I did this time. Our freezer is getting full again.
  • I pump around 12 oz overnight at work. I only pump once at around 11 and then at 5...as much as I want to pump more I don't necessarily want my body to think I need more milk in the middle of the night. LO eats anywhere between 10-14 oz while I'm gone depending when he wakes in the morning. I wish I was able to save more but at least I'm able to save some on my days off. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pump three times at work from 8-4:30. I get about 15oz. 
  • I also pump three times and usually get around 15oz. LO usually eats 12-14oz at daycare.
    @jenkar01 I can't remember if you're in US or Canada, but you should look into Tiny Treasures. They pay for breast milk and convert it into supplements for preemies across the US. It's quite the application process but they pay about 1$ an ounce.
  • I try to pump three times while I am at work, sometimes I get distracted and just to do two. I average about 12-15 oz. I had 80 oz stored in the freezer before I went back to work. The problem is since I went back about 3 or 4 weeks ago, my son has been on food strike during the day. He eats from 2-7 oz during the day and only once ate 10 oz. I don't know how much more milk our freezer can hold!
  • So Xavier finally rolled over continuously. Every time I put him on his tummy he rolled over to his back. He can sit tripod style with support. Also when on his back his is starting to roll to his side. Ugh slow down little man. Don't have to do everything at once.
  • We finally got a back to belly roll too! It was like slow mo, but she did it!
  • Yup. Slow down babies! She started rolling from back to front all the time now...and I've noticed her trying to get her knees under her now. I'm not ready for a baby in the go! It really is fun watching her figuring things out though. Blocks are a big hit right now too.
  • Dylan had his first back to belly roll yesterday! I can't believe how big he is getting. People always say they grow up so fast and they were so right! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone giving their los lovelies or blankets yet? Last night my guy could not fall back asleep after his middle of the night feeding. Instead of rocking him to sleep, I put a burp cloth in his crib. Its muslin so it's lightweight. He played with it quietly for 30 minutes before falling asleep on his own. He likes to chew on it and nuzzle his face to it. I was very paranoid so I removed the burp cloth after he fell asleep. Within minutes he woke up crying bc he felt it was gone.

I wish I could give him the burp cloth or muslin to sleep with bc I think it would provide comfort and help him to get to sleep, but I'm too nervous. Anyone doing this yet?
  • It's so interesting how babies born at the same time can be so different! My son has only rolled from belly to back once and has never done it again. He seems to have no interest in that. However, he can pull himself into a seated position if he has something to grab on to and almost sit unassisted. Guess he's just going to skip over that rolling milestone!
  • @BabyBoyH92016 we put a caterpillar in bed with him but he is wrapped so he can't get it but he sleeps better if it is in bed with him. If he gets his arm out he will grab it and snuggle with it. He would love his small blanket or burp cloth because he does the same thing. He chews it and rubs it all over his face.
  • @Laraeq mine rolls back to tummy frequently but has only rolled belly to back twice. My pediatrician said sometimes babies will roll only once and then move on to the next thing. Also, not all babies have the same interest level. One baby may love practicing rolling while another baby may spend his/her time babbling more and developing language skills. It is interesting how different they all are. 
  • @Laraeq I'm so glad you said that. There are so many times I hear moms comparing their kids and their milestones. Every baby is different and learn at different paces. Doesn't make one better than the other. And I was pretty sure X was going to bypass the rolling over phase because he detested tummy time but a lot has changed for this kid in the last week or so. I swear a switch was flipped in him and he just all of a sudden took off.
  • @jenkar01 I found a stuffed caterpillar on Amazon and am going to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!
  • Do you remember the name/brand of the caterpillar? Just curious if it is the same one we have. Found him hugging/playing with his when he woke up to eat.
  • @jenkar01 it's Gund. There were nicer ones with more going on but this one was relatively cheap. And I thought if this is going to be crib toy, I want it to be simple. Something he can hold to comfort him.

• Oh I love that brand. I had a teddy bear from that company up until my 20s when I misplaced him somewhere. Ours is from fuzzy friends I think. It was a gift from my great aunt. It is simple, soft, and he can grasp it easily. I think that is why he likes it so much.
  • I should of asked you if you knew the brand of yours. Oh well. Mine is coming tonight and hopefully it works. I gave him the burp cloth last night and he played with it again until he fell asleep.
  • My mom watches Ellie during the day and she puts her down with a blanket and she says she loves to put the blanket up to her face to sleep. My nephew, 3 weeks younger than Ellie, does the same. Maybe it's a developmental thing at this age? 

Ellie has been loving laying on the ground with toys all around her she wiggles and rolls all over the place. She also has been loving to eat her feet. It's just the best watching them grow and learn.

• @BabyBoyH92016 I'm sure the one you got will be just fine. I hope it helps though.
    @molosmiles I love the feet thing too. I have to take his socks off sometimes because he will saturate them with his chewing and drool.
  • Victoria has recently been playing with her toes, too. I have like 20 pictures of this in my phone. My husband is overseas right now and said something to the effect that it must be my favorite thing because I keep emailing him pictures with the subject line of TOES! 
  • Yup toes seem to be the best things ever! It is especially helpful when she holds them during diaper changes. Lol 
  • @Laraeq Yes! He's discovered he's got something down there and sometimes grabs at it during diaper changes and bathtime. Definitely more interested in toes though so usually the toes occupy him more during the diaper changes. I worry though because no matter how frequently we cut/file his nails they are still pretty sharp. I worry he's going to hurt himself with his grabbing and yanking. 
  • I feel like I cut Dylan's nails all the time and he still scratches himself. We used mittens when he was first born but don't anymore. 

We decided to stop swaddling him last night because 2 nights in a row he rolled over in his swaddle and it actually went better than I thought he only woke up twice....hopefully it either stays the same or gets better and not worse!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I cut Xavier's nails at least twice a week. And we still swaddle but he gets his right arm out. Think we are finally past the sleep regression. He has now learned the usually baby sign for pick me up. Kind of hate that he did because now it makes it harder to not pick him up all the time.
  • Yes! Razor sharp nails!
    we started the one arm out of the swaddle too, I felt like she was fighting it so much that it was better to start weaning her away from it.
    I thought naps were getting better when she hit month 5, but it's been pretty inconsistent the last few days. My parents were here though, kinda messed with everyone's schedule . 
  • Yeah we cut those little nails a lot too....I dont know if its more to save her or me from scratches!

The inconsistency of naps is driving me crazy too. Yesterday I could barely get 25 mins out of her each nap, wouldn't be a problem if she wasn't such a cranky little girl when tired! And today she slept 3 hours in the morning and is currently on hour 2 of her afternoon nap.

• Okay glad to know that others are having nap issues. His are all over the place as well. Sleeps good at night but naps are a mess.
  • We've hit the rashy- butt stage of teething. Maybe part of her nap issue. She barely slept at daycare. I gave her Tylenol when we got home and she passed out. Poor thing
  • We started giving a Luke a blanket to sleep with now that he is rolling and army crawling. We started this just a few days ago to see if he would prefer to be covered and he found a new purpose for it. He loves to hold it and suck on it and it seems to help him fall asleep quicker. He seems completely oblivious to his penis at the moment. It will be interesting to see him find it for the first time LOL