March 2017 Moms

Appoinments! Week of Feb 7th

Whats going on this week, ladies? 

Re: Appoinments! Week of Feb 7th

• I've got 2appts this week - Wed & Fri. Both routine 38wk check-ins - but they want me coming in more often now to check on BP. Hoping baby arrives sooner than later because I don't want to feel like inlive in the midwives office for the next few weeks! 
  • I had an appt today. Was supposed to be routine but high BP led to blood draws, laying down in the room to get a resting BP and another appt for next week. At least I got another ultrasound out of the deal! Right rib pain is from a cute little foot kicking the stuffing out of me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Had an appointment today. Nothing special.. baby is still head down which is lovely to hear! BP was good.. which is such a relief. Other than that we just talked about some of my birth plan and went over how my birth went the 1st time. I was shocked to learn that on average it's normal for a first time mom to push for about 2 hours without EPI and 3 hours is normal with an epi, and for my DD I pushed for 16 minutes! My midwife made me feel pretty super and a little less nervous about a whole new labour / birth experience. 2 weeks until my next apt and then I start weekly apts!! Crazy how fast time is going. 

Other than that she filled out some paperwork from my work for my sick leave. Which my manager told me I may not even be approved for which would be completely disappointing.. I need the income and I can't afford for it not to be approved. The paperwork had tons of questions completely unrelated to pregnancy so I have a feeling they will not approve me.  Lots of stress in that department. 
  • I had an appointment this morning. U/S looked good! Passed my BPP and amniotic fluid is at a good level. Unfortunately, my BP was 152/100 with some protein in my urine. So they did labs and a P/C ratio. The P/C ratio is borderline so not sure if I'll be checking in today for an induction or not. The nurse said she would call me back if my dr wanted me admitted. So I'm trying not to worry and trying to embrace the "no news is good news" mindset! I guess my next appointment will be Friday if I don't hear anything. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    @Lexxilou1986 ugh, sorry to hear about the high BP. try not to stress! ((I know, easier said than done). FX doc will give you a little more time to cook. Keep us updated! 

@Burrberrymum ugh, I hope that your work surprises you and allows the leave! 3hrs is average!? Wow! I thought I pushed forwverrr with DD at 30min. Hah. Guess not! 
  • Had a check up today, everything was normal but still trace protein and luekocytes in Urine. BP still on the low side but they seemed okay with that. They still don't know why urine is showing up the way it is, but they don't seem overly concerned since I'm not having any other symptoms. So all is good until. Next week!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NST #1 of the week was today.  Baby girl wasn't as active - possibly because I'm sick, and am not eating what I normally eat in the morning?  so I was there a little longer than usual.  My BP was high yet again today, but when I laid on my side it went down to 111/73.  the first BP was 134/90.   Also had the fluid check today.  I'm at 14 cm, and got to see baby's foot, and that her head is way down.  I'm not sure I'm prepared for an early delivery, so hopefully she's just chilling in there.  
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @Lexxilou1986 sorry to hear about the bp and protein. Best of luck if you need to be induced! 

Just got home from my appointment, as with the past few weeks I had borderline high bp, and my induction day still stands for March 2nd. Also getting weekly ultrasounds and everything looked great with LO. I told her about how I'm pretty sure baby dropped this week, because I now feel so much pressure in my pelvis (and I've stopped throwing up and my appetite came back!). She went ahead and did a cervical check after my GBS test, and sure enough she could feel his head, and said he is really low. Have also started to dilate, so things are definitely progressing in the right direction! Makes me feel better about the induction.

Now he just needs to stay in there until my mom gets here at the end of the month to help with DD!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Had my weekly u/s and nst. I was registering regular contractions on my nst. Dr checked my cervix and I'm not dilated. Has anyone else had regular contractions registering on their nst? The dr wasn't too concerned after she checked my cervix...
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Had my appointment today. Baby looks great! Head down low. I still have a small blood clot near my cervix. They also found I have slightly low fluid. It is at 9.2, anything under 10 they consider low. Drinking lots of water this week and have a follow up ultrasound next week.  
  • korpisar said:
    Had my weekly u/s and nst. I was registering regular contractions on my nst. Dr checked my cervix and I'm not dilated. Has anyone else had regular contractions registering on their nst? The dr wasn't too concerned after she checked my cervix...
    Yep!  When I went in last night my small Braxton hicks show up on their monitors. 
  • @kjd291 ok thanks! They didn't say anything about Braxton hicks - they just called them contractions and I have a history of preterm labor so.... my bag is packed and I'm ready to go if my water breaks like last time!
    hopefully they are just Braxton hicks. 
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    @korpisar of course! I could be wrong-but im pretty sure the machine reads the BHcontractions the same way it would read a "real" one.  All it does is sense a tightening in the uterus. Right!? So I would think as long as you aren't experiencing extra discomfort with them then they are just BH and you're good! 
    Its so hard when you've had a previous issue to not assume it's gonna be the same this go around! 

ETA-I had a good 8-10 while I was hooked up for the 45min-hour, and they didn't seem phased at all - I figure if they only read "real" ones then I'd have to have been in labor and/or they would have made a bigger deal about it. 
  • @korpisar I've been on the monitors on and off for the last 3 days and they definitely pick up BH contractions AND regular ones. 

I had been having regular contractions for about 8 hours (the real ones) and then they stopped, and BH started in. I couldn't feel those, but the nurses kept asking if I could and they were treating them like real contractions to be on the safe side.

It sounds like your doctor is erring on the side of caution, especially due to your history of premature labor!
  • Thanks for the feedback. I just hate that now I'm feeling cramps and back pain - I feel like it's in my head because I'm not sure I would have paid attention/noticed as much before my appt. my stomach is hard constantly so it's hard to tell if there are contractions or not. The dr asked if I was feeling the way I felt when I had my son - I didn't feel anything with my son either - just a dull lower back ache. So frustrating. The dr told me to go to the hospital if my water breaks or I start bleeding. Thanks for letting me vent and for the info!!
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @Lexxilou1986 I know you may have more things to think about than being on the bump, lol, but I am thinking of you and hope you are doing okay!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Had a regular OB check up on Monday at 34 weeks. BP was up (142/78 or something close to that). My BP is always in the 130s at my doctor appointments due to anxiety/white coat syndrome. Even so, my doc ordered some labs just to be safe and everything was normal, yay! Next appt is scheduled for 36 weeks. I'm taking my BP at home daily which has been running around 124/78, so not too bad. I've had zero swelling, headaches or blurry vision issues which he said to monitor for.

Question - Dr mentioned something about non-stress tests if my BP continues to be high. What does this entail? 

• Question - Dr mentioned something about non-stress tests if my BP continues to be high. What does this entail? 
    Getting hooked up in a bed to a couple stretchy belts that have heart rate monitors for baby! 25-45min, in my personal experience. Just monitoring to make sure baby is happy for a longer period of time than the 30sec Doppler in the office.   The machine also will show if you're having contractions. 
  • My midwife appointment today was frustrating.  I get that because I went in due to blurred vision they want to see me more, but all they did was check my BP, and since it had dropped back down a bit they sent me immediately home.
    Only comment was --if you have blurry vision maybe you should see an optometrist... bye. See you Friday.  ummm... okay? 

It's such a hassle to drive 30min after getting myself and a toddler ready for an appointment. If i new it was just a BP test, I'd have said: no thanks. I'll check my own at my local pharmacy again. Anywayyyyyy----> guess what matters is we are both looking fine! 
  • @kjd291 that is so obnoxious.. if that's all they're going to be maybe you can discuss scaling it back down to once a week
  • @kjd291 that is so obnoxious.. if that's all they're going to be maybe you can discuss scaling it back down to once a week
    Absolutely!! I still have to go in on Friday this week because they did nothing else today. But if they mention setting up an extra appointment next week on top of my already scheduled 39wk appt, I'm going to be a "bad patient" and say no. 
  • @kjd291 that's definitely frustrating. Especially after a 30 min drive. Glad to hear everything's ok though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kjd291 that is SO annoying.  i have twice a week appointments due to a complication unrelated to blood pressure, but each time i get an ultrasound (BPP), and then they check my blood pressure, weight, and urine, and once a week they offer to check my cervix.  I don't have any kids to bring with me but it's an hour away and is super annoying even now that I've stopped working.

It seems like they should at least be checking your urine and weight (not that you can't check your own weight at home) just because those are additional data points for pre-eclampsia.  Or, better yet, they should just...not call you in if that's all they're going to do!  
  • @anonellis thanks for the pity!!  Ugh. I remember you saying you had a super long drive to your appts too! I'm Trying to just focus on the good in that baby and I are fine instead of letting myself be annoyed! Just hoping these babies come sooner than later so we can stop feeling like our lives revolve around weekly medical appointments!
  • @CoconutKisses21 - NST are not too bad. As @kjd291 said you just get hooked up on stretchy belts with heart monitor for the baby.  Mine usually last anywhere between 30-45 minutes.  They also take your BP.  If it's good, only one time. I'm usually monitored for BP a couple times while I'm there.  Now, I don't know if this is just specific because I have GD - but I also get fluid measurements.  That's just an ultrasound.  All in all the NST aren't too bad....more of an inconvenience than anything...but we'll do anything for our babies!
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • mecoats said:
    @CoconutKisses21 - NST are not too bad. As @kjd291 said you just get hooked up on stretchy belts with heart monitor for the baby.  Mine usually last anywhere between 30-45 minutes.  They also take your BP.  If it's good, only one time. I'm usually monitored for BP a couple times while I'm there.  Now, I don't know if this is just specific because I have GD - but I also get fluid measurements.  That's just an ultrasound.  All in all the NST aren't too bad....more of an inconvenience than anything...but we'll do anything for our babies!
    I also get nsts with a fluid check via u/s because I have high bp. My nst lasts about 20 min
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • hippiemama-2hippiemama-2 member
    edited February 2017
    TW* My 37 week appointment was today - all is well with my little man so far and it was very much the same old, same old.  As I was setting my 38 week appointment, I noticed a woman trying so hard to hold back tears in the waiting room, while her husband held her hand, rubbed her back and had the most devastated, concerned look on his face.  I can't possibly know what particular struggle they were facing today, and I know there are so many it could be, but my heart really hurt for them. </3
  • Had my weekly appointment with my OB this morning...NST went well once baby started moving around (guess he was napping after my breakfast).  Also got my GBS swab (bleh) and he checked my cervix (as closed as it can get).  He's anticipating me delivering at 38-39 weeks at this point.  Blood pressure was great and he was pleased with my blood sugar levels as well.  All in all a good appointment!
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• GBS swab and apparently here the peds also ask to recheck chlamydia/gonorrhea before birth. Havent been fooling around on my hubby and I'm sure he hasn't had time to find a side piece so we should be good for that one lol. Hoping I don't need antibiotics during labor...can't remember if this one is just something that can develop from normal bacteria or not?? My medical knowledge is failing me at the moment. 

She checked my cervix, she said it was just ever so slightly opened (finger tip I think was the term she used?) which she'd call like 0.5cm and I'm about 60% effaced. Said it was just where she expected so no worries there! Baby's head is down and she could feel that too. Feeling a bit crampy after the pelvic exam but hopefully that passes. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    Just out of my 38/39 wk appt. BP staying down, but since one week ago fundal height changed from 38to42, so midwife wants an ultrasound to check on fluid level/growth. She said it could be positioning changed majorly, or she measured me wrong last week. wasn't overly concerned, but does want a peek to see what's going on. 
    Passed on cervix check (probably will take them up on the offer next week if still preggo though) 
    Because of all the storms up here in the north east and all the rescheduled appointments-next available ultrasound isn't until Tuesday. So a little bit of a wait considering I could deliver before then.  But! At least I'll get to confirm gender and stop obsessing that this girl is gonna be a boy.

EDA-oh and I almost passed out again because she had me laying on my back measuring fundal hieght and pushing on my belly for so long. So that was fun. Hah
  • @kjd291 im glad you get to confirm gender! hopefully her measurements were just off. if not, maybe your kid just prefers an olympic size swimming pool like mine does  :D
  • @kjd291 im glad you get to confirm gender! hopefully her measurements were just off. if not, maybe your kid just prefers an olympic size swimming pool like mine does  :D
    I was actually thinking about you when she she said could be excess fluid!. "Olympic size swimming pool!" Haha. Love it!
  • @Cbeanz wow! Exciting times!! Have you been having contractions or cramps? Did you know you were dilating? 4cm is when I caved and needed my epidural last time and you're just chilling!
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    @Cbeanz I needed continued monitoring for my first, but they had waterproof/wireless monitors!! Hopefully they have something similar for you if you need to be monitored.
    as far as the GBS-pretty sure it just means they want you to come to L&D as soon as possible when you start to labor so they can give you at least one round of IVantibiotics, two if you labor long enough, before baby arrives. Shouldn't change anything else otherwise! Just a preventative way to make sure baby doesn't get an infection from it on exit.
  • @kjd291 Thanks, good to know.  You were induced right? That's probably why you got continuous monitoring. I might also need it since I'm a VBAC.  One more question for my OB.

Also, do they administer penicillin? I read so much about the benefits of vaginal birth in terms of establishing a good bacterial population in the baby. Do the antibiotics kill everything and negate that benefit?
  • For those who have experience labouring in the tub or planning on it... What did you bring to wear or planning on wearing? I didn't even think about it the first time.. but I may want to this time I'm not sure. I know some people enjoy being completely naked but I'm not sure I would want that.