March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 2/6

Baby time is getting closer and for several has already arrived!

Re: Ask a STM week 2/6

• Anyone heard of seeing a chiropractor to get hips aligned for easier labor? Thoughts and opinions?  A lady mentioned to me yesterday she had done so for her last child and recommended it.
  • Yes I was going a bit ago bc I was in a lot of pain

I stopped bc my copay is $40/visit and they wanted to see me 3x a week

• Loading the player...
  • Are gliders that are not fully upholstered - so the moving mechanism at the bottom is exposed - generally okay once the baby's a toddler and getting into everything, or do you inevitably wind up with smashed or broken fingers? We were going to get a glider that's fully upholstered to avoid that, but the cost is looking like hundreds beyond our budget for a chair & ottoman... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are gliders that are not fully upholstered - so the moving mechanism at the bottom is exposed - generally okay once the baby's a toddler and getting into everything, or do you inevitably wind up with smashed or broken fingers? We were going to get a glider that's fully upholstered to avoid that, but the cost is looking like hundreds beyond our budget for a chair & ottoman... 
    Depends on the kid. My son is 2 and has never had smashed fingers, but I imagine other kids who are more adventurous might not fare as well. I will say I can't imagine how he could break his fingers unless someone was rocking on it, and then we are obviously there to stop him. I'm sure some kids have managed to do ur, though, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Can we talk post partum? What are you opinions on things like mesh panties, depends, padsicles? How the heck do you make a padsicle? Any other tips?
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Anyone heard of seeing a chiropractor to get hips aligned for easier labor? Thoughts and opinions?  A lady mentioned to me yesterday she had done so for her last child and recommended it.
    Yes! I highly recommend it to everyone. I didn't use one with my first and went regularly with my second. My experience was night and day different. With my first I was uncomfortable, in pain, having trouble sleeping, back and pelvis issues, and my labor was LONG, baby was positioned wrong, I had horrible back labor and pushed for 2.5 hours before she came out. With my second, after regular chiropractic throughout the third trimester, I went ten days later than with my first, yet I was So much more comfortable, sleeping great, no back or hip pain, very easy 4 hour labor with barely any pushing, baby perfectly positioned, super easy recovery. I would never do a pregnancy without chiropractic again. I have been going 1-2x/week since early in the second trimester, and at 34 weeks, I still feel great and I'm sleeping great and baby is in a great position. Can't recommend it enough. There are so many issues in pregnancy and labor that can be circumvented by proper alignment. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019

• RunBooRun said:
    Can we talk post partum? What are you opinions on things like mesh panties, depends, padsicles? How the heck do you make a padsicle? Any other tips?
    Mesh panties or depends are both fine, I never found I needed them past maybe the first day though, I was wearing regular underwear (albeit, not my favorite pairs, mostly black ones) by day two with no problems. I've never used padsicles, but they're popular if you have swelling or tearing issues - just get the pad wet and put in the freezer then use like an ice pack. You can also use newborn size diapers for this. 

I would say, wait to see what your recovery is going to be like - I didn't need any of the extra stuff. I used the peri bottle for a few days, regular pads, and some witch hazel pads, but really didn't need much on top of that. I had easy births without tearing, though. If you have a rougher time, you might need more stuff. Just know what options are out there and where to buy (most stuff you can get on Amazon or at a pharmacy pretty easily) so if you need something you can grab it. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Anyone know anything about Angel of mine diapers, I got some at my baby shower.
  • Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited February 2017
    I totally agree with everyone else. Only thing I'd add on postpartum recovery is that I liked the thin pads after the first day or two (always brand) Also I had the dermoplast spray and the witch hazel pads in every bathroom and used them every time I went for at least 3-4 weeks. I also used Motrin every 6 hours. Had second degree tear so those things helped me a lot. 

Yes @c25 exactly!!
  • Question- how prepared is everyone at this point? STM here and I haven't bought any diapers or gone through and washed and organized any  newborn clothes or any of that yet? Normal? 
  • @disneybaby84 Angel of Mine is the Dollar Tree brand. I received several items with that brand on them from someone at my baby shower so I looked it up. 
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Ivorytower2 I only have a few weeks left and only have one box of newborn diapers and one box of size 1. I have the clothes ready but I have a bajillion other things (like clean and install car seat, sanitize whole house, make recovery baskets) still on my to do list. :) so..I may have different things ready but not nearly close to done! 
  • @Ivorytower2. I have a couple boxes of size 1 tucked up in a closet, but no NB And yet to wash because I'm waiting to see if this babe skips NB sizes before I buy more diapers or wash clothes. 

I really am not feeling a need to do much. I have things I'd like to do still-cleaning, meal prep, organization... etc.

ANd DH installed the car seat today, so thats all i really had left on "must do" list. 
  • @Ivorytower2 I feel so massively unprepared! That's mostly because we're moving though. We're set to move in 3 weeks, so the crib that my parents ordered is still in the giant box in the garage and all of my son's old clothes are still in storage bins. I'm not getting a dresser until we move, so when we get that I'll go through the 0-3 month bin and get all of the gender neutral clothes since we're team green. Thankfully they don't need to be washed. All we have at this point is the pack n play ready just in case baby makes an early arrival. My husband ordered a box of size 1 diapers and we'll just take as many packs of newborn size diapers that we can from the hospital. Other than those few things we have absolutely nothing ready!
  • Postpartum re/icepacks. They had some in the hospital for me to use.  My Nurse said you don't need to make your own at home- that icing doesn't help healing after the first couple days.  So-may feel good/bring relief , but not to worry about making my own.

like everyone else has said-the crazy part was the hospital bleeding. At home was just like a period. 
  • I bought a box of size one diapers but it was honestly just to get a 15 dollar gift card. I have washed a majority of her clothes mainly to see what I had and since they shrink so much that first wash I want to have a visual idea of how big the outfit really is so that I don't wait too long to use it. 90 percent of the clothes I buy are clearance so I can't return them anyway
  • Many  questions from me today, but has anyone used the Dock a Tot? My daughter has never been a good sleeper- she slept in rock and play for first 5 months. Wondering if I should try the dock a dot this time? It's so expensive and I can stop buying expensive shit. Help me!!
  • @Ivorytower2 i haven't used it but i've already promised myself that if DD is as bad of a sleeper as DS was that i would splurge on the dock a tot. it gets great reviews from what I have seen and I CANNOT do another 9 months of no sleep, especially with a toddler to take care of this go around. Maybe wait it out and see how LO is with sleep and if you need it then get it?
  • @Gators&BoSox that sounds like a good plan. What are you planning to have the new baby in initially? The rock and play helped tremendously with DD in the beggining until she hit the 4 month regression, but I also don't want to make the same mistakes and I wonder if that ultimately made her sleep worse!
  • @Ivorytower2 i got a cheaper bassinet. i was going to get the rock n play bc i've heard it works pretty well but i've also heard baby isn't supposed to sleep the night in it and like you i don't want to ultimately jack up her sleeping more. i have a wombie that i am going to try though and if she likes that i will also splurge for a couple more, especially if it keeps me from needing the dock a tot
  • @Ivorytower2 I'm with you on buying expensive crap! I bought the dock a tot and the Ollie swaddle in hopes of fantastic sleep this go around. I'll have to let you know if it's worth it haha
  • @disneybaby84 no personal experience, my doula and Hypnobirthing instructor both highly recommend chiropractic adjustments because I'm breech, but my OB said she didn't recommend them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got the dockatot this time around too. My toddler loves stealing it and napping in it. 
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • @disneybaby84 I've ben seeing one every 2/3 weeks most of this pregnancy just to help with general back pain and it's been great. I can see it helping prepare for labor, too. Thankful mine hasn't been like @rw3190's asking me to come in multiple times a week; it's been more of a, "when you're in enough pain you want to come in, give us a call." 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @RunBooRun Padsicles are amazing!! I made them with my son... always ultra thin overnights, 1/4c of witch hazel.. open pad put keep attached to liner and pour witch hazel on then freeze. I used them after a sitz bath and a shower for about a week. Definitely helped with healing of my tear. 

I didn't use mesh underwear besides in the hospital. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• C25 said:
    Then next to bed or couch you'll want to keep a supply of snacks and water. And phone charger ;) 
    A million times yes. Especially if you are nursing. Holy moley nursing is like magic but can be so boring. (it feels like blasphemy to say that)

I did take all the giant pads from the hospital. Not for me...lol, that's what overnight max is with wings are for. For baby! I used them as diaper changing pads, lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Ivorytower2 i got a cheaper bassinet. i was going to get the rock n play bc i've heard it works pretty well but i've also heard baby isn't supposed to sleep the night in it and like you i don't want to ultimately jack up her sleeping more. i have a wombie that i am going to try though and if she likes that i will also splurge for a couple more, especially if it keeps me from needing the dock a tot
    Really? My son's pediatrician said they are fine for sleeping. Now you've got me nervous, lol. My son would only sleep with me or in a rock n play for the longest time! Do you have a link or anything I can read about it?  :o
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @disneybaby84 I've ben seeing one every 2/3 weeks most of this pregnancy just to help with general back pain and it's been great. I can see it helping prepare for labor, too. Thankful mine hasn't been like @rw3190's asking me to come in multiple times a week; it's been more of a, "when you're in enough pain you want to come in, give us a call." 
    This is what I've been doing too! It has been very helpful!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• C25 said:
    Then next to bed or couch you'll want to keep a supply of snacks and water. And phone charger ;) 
    A million times yes. Especially if you are nursing. Holy moley nursing is like magic but can be so boring. (it feels like blasphemy to say that)

I played SO much candy crush. Haha.  I'm gonna miss the chill phone and/or Netflix nursing time with this second one! If only I realized how easy it was with only one kid. Hah
  • @longliveregina i found this article to be very informative without being biased https://www.candokiddo.com/news/rocknplay
  • @longliveregina i found this article to be very informative without being biased https://www.candokiddo.com/news/rocknplay
    Thanks! How interesting! I actually buy into a lot of that. After all its one of the reasons why I didn't really ever use our infant seat as a carrier...I always just left the seat in the car and wore him or out him in the pram. I am a big believer that floor play allows kids to turn their heads and look around, just as effectively rounding the head as tummy time. It makes sense that flat sleeping would be the same (since tummy sleeping us a no no). 

It seems like moderation is key here. Nap and mommy showering time? No problem. Long segments of the day? More of an issue.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina My toddler slept in his rock n play for 6 months and he had no issue. I think the problem comes when people use the rock n play exclusively all day every day. Like you said, moderation is key. Considering my son wasn't sleeping through the night at 6 moths, he wasn't in the rock n play for 12 hours every night. He was up at least twice a night so I think that also played a part in him being fine in it. 
  • @Gators&amp;BoSox @longliveregina that's a really interesting article. We used the rnp only at night with DS for the first few months. We never had any issues with motor skills or anything (he was sitting up unassisted at four months.) I was just sure that during the day he got a lot of tummy time and such.
    I think, like any product, it depends on how you use it. Some babies will respond different than others. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • i just want to throw out there that i'm not judging anyone that has used the rock n play for sleep. i just was between that and a standard bassinet and wanted to compare. 
    Thanks! How interesting! I actually buy into a lot of that. After all its one of the reasons why I didn't really ever use our infant seat as a carrier...I always just left the seat in the car and wore him or out him in the pram. I am a big believer that floor play allows kids to turn their heads and look around, just as effectively rounding the head as tummy time. It makes sense that flat sleeping would be the same (since tummy sleeping us a no no). 

It seems like moderation is key here. Nap and mommy showering time? No problem. Long segments of the day? More of an issue.
    We used it for my DD to sleep in and never had a problem. I think they can develop a flat head regardless of where they sleep, since they sleep on their backs. I agree with you though, awake time should be spent with tummy time or being held! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We never had any issue with the rock and play and flat head issues either, but my daughter also never slept through the night. I know there are also some arguments that it can be a big help with reflux babies.