June 2016 Moms

Allergic reaction?

So during breakfast this morning Levi started rubbing his eyes.  Granted , it was close to nap time and he's a big sleepy eye rubber.  So at first I assumed it was due to that but then he kept doing it.  So I started wondering if he got something in them with his breakfast hands.  I try to clean them off but....Babies.  anyway, he was definitely ready to nap soon after and I honestly don't know if this was from rubbing or allergy.  No other symptoms and all foods he has had before at least once.  The skin redness went away by end of nap but still this evening the inside corners of both eyes seem just a little irritated.  No drainage or gunk, hasn't really been wanting to rub them aside from tiredness.  Pics are right as he fell asleep, then post nap, then a few minutes ago.
????

Re: Allergic reaction?

• Did he eat something new?  My friends son had a similar looking reaction on his face/around his eyes from eating scrambled eggs and rubbing his eyes.  
  • I know a girl who breaks out if peanut butter touches her face. She can eat all she wants but not touch her skin. Was it something new he ate?
  • Loading the player...
  • No, he had all foods at least once before.  He had it all over his hands though so I think he may have managed to rub the juice of something in there.  The one he was rubbing the most is still slightly irritated this morning but there was no drainage or goop this morning.
  • artlea2013artlea2013 member
    edited February 2017
    I had the worst problem as a kid with banana peels. The fruit itself gave me a few hives, but the peels where all of the pollen allergens were would make my eyes swell completely shut and give me inflammation headaches. Point is, sometimes it's not the part of the food you eat that can cause problems, especially in easily irritated areas like eyes/lips/other areas of thin skin. Our babies are old enough for ibuprofen now, so if there is swelling with the irritation you can try that. Might want to call your ped first for the exact dosage though
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • No, he had all foods at least once before.  He had it all over his hands though so I think he may have managed to rub the juice of something in there.  The one he was rubbing the most is still slightly irritated this morning but there was no drainage or goop this morning.
    Most times an allergic reaction would actually occur on the second exposure, not the first. Any foods he was trying for the second time?

Althoufh with a reaction that localized it's probably something he touched, not ate.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Yea, scrambled eggs was second time.  I'll have benadryl on hand next time just in case buy I'm feeling more and more like it was just from rubbing.
  • Yea, scrambled eggs was second time.  I'll have benadryl on hand next time just in case buy I'm feeling more and more like it was just from rubbing.
     Preston always rubs his eyes when he feeds himself.  I think he gets stuff in his eyes, he lives to touch his face.  When I spoon feed it's obviously a non-issue.  Drives us nuts that he does it though but you can't exactly tell a baby "hey stop running Alfredo sauce in your eye, it's only gonna be worse!" Hahaha
  • We deal with this off and on. S's eyes get watery/goopy when he has even the littlest bit if a cold (lingering effect of clogged tear ducts), and when he rubs them they'll get a little red and puffy. If it cleared up and he's not too bothered by it, I wouldn't worry too much. 
  • It does look more like an allergy since in the first picture other parts of his face are irritated rather than just his eyes.  I would guess probably the eggs if it's the second time you've given them.  Maybe try just the whites next time for a week or so and then try the yolks and see what happens.  Hopefully it's just a fluke.  Egg allergies stink.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• It does look more like an allergy since in the first picture other parts of his face are irritated rather than just his eyes.  I would guess probably the eggs if it's the second time you've given them.  Maybe try just the whites next time for a week or so and then try the yolks and see what happens.  Hopefully it's just a fluke.  Egg allergies stink.
     I think you mean give yolks then try whites? Eggs whites have the protein that cause reactions which I think is why in BLW they recommend soft eggyolk as one of the first foods to try.
  • @adiaz132003

interesting!  I always assumed it was the yolks that cause an issue. 
     I think you mean give yolks then try whites? Eggs whites have the protein that cause reactions which I think is why in BLW they recommend soft eggyolk as one of the first foods to try.
    YES!  This is what I meant!  Oh gosh.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers