1st Trimester

Feeling sick all the time.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I'm been feeling horrible most of the day. Nausea, vomitting... and I understand that it's morning sickness and it's expected. But does it ever go away?? I've called out sick 3 days now and have been in bed all day. I went to my obgyn who gave me B6 and unisom (which is basically sleeping pills). I've tried ginger cookies, candy, even sea bands. This is my first pregnancy and I don't know what else to do. Is it normal to call out so much off work?

Re: Feeling sick all the time.

• b6 and unisom is for nausea. every pregnancy is different. 
  • I was sick the whole time except one month around the six month mark. Different for everyone. I had limited sick days and had to save them to cover my maternity leave. I did not call in sick. I teach kindergarten and I just puked in the trash can when I had to (it was in a small closet). If you run out of sick days you may not have a choice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If it's so bad that you keep missing work talk to your doctor about something stronger. Otherwise if you really can't work, you might have to go out on disability. It does go away, but there's no way of knowing if it's in a couple days or when your baby is born.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I missed an entire month of work, and still wasn't feeling well when I returned. I couldn't do without the income, though. I was extremely ill, and could barely find the energy to crawl to the toilet to vomit. I was finally prescribed Phenergan, which helped tremendously. I was only able to handle 1/4 of the dosage that was recommended though, or it would completely knock me out, which wasn't an option, since I have 3 children to care for. It was HELL. But somewhere around 13ish weeks, I started feeling normal again. If you're able to take a leave, do that, and don't stress over it. Just focus on resting and making sure you stay hydrated, especially if you're unable to eat. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Hope you feel better soon momma.
  • Typically, it tapers away at the end of the first trimester. For me, it was around 13-14 weeks. For some women, it lasts longer.