December 2016 Moms
Options

Moms with Toddlers - 1.30.17

How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your baby(ies) this past week? 

What are your goals for this week, related to your toddler? 

Rants/Raves/Questions:

Anything you want to add/share?:

Bonus question: For moms going back to work, what is your biggest concern? For moms staying home, same question 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moms with Toddlers - 1.30.17

• Options

it's been okay... it has been nice to have my H home a little extra while he is on unemployment, but he will be back to work full time starting next week so that will be the true test. We are both finding ourselves getting really impatient with DD1 and she is definitely noticing and acting out at times because of it.  Its frustrating and brings an onslaught of guilt all around.

sleep training.  UGH. She seems to be experiencing some sort of sleep regression with the baby here.  She use to be an phenomenal sleeper, but lately not so much.  She was getting up in the middle of the night and coming into our room and waking us up.  Then she would just come into our room and not wake us up (cue heart attack when I suddenly wake to a toddler in my face and the RnP moved...), then she went as far as to wake up and go downstairs by herself.  We have been beside ourselves.  So, for starters, we put a gate in front of her door so she cant leave her room at night while we are sleeping.  Then we purchased an "Okay to Wake" clock that lights up green in the morning when it's okay to get out of bed.  Last night she was up every hour (multiple times) from 1am on. It will be a miracle if we both see the end of this day alive.

Rants/Raves/Questions:

Has anyone else been experiencing regressions with their toddlers? Whether it's sleep related or something else... and BTDT moms, it gets better, right???

Bonus question: For moms going back to work, what is your biggest concern? For moms staying home, same question

I am a SAHM and I guess my biggest concern is my growing lack of patience with DD1.  I am trying, i swear.  When we have quiet moments when the baby is sleeping or content I try to get in some special time with her to affirm that I still love and cherish her and our relationship even if I'm a raving lunatic sometimes. I hope that once we are able to get into some sort of schedule things will smooth out...
  • Options
    My toddler is 4 years old...is that still considered a toddler? Lol Anyways, some days are more difficult than others. He's in the "I want to throw a fit over everything" phase so that's definitely a challenge. I think my biggest challenges have been picking up my oldest (8 years old) from school...I get there about 35 minutes early to get a good spot in the pickup line and those 35 minutes can be calm and quiet or the most frustrating, trying 35 minutes ever depending on how baby and toddler are acting. My other big challenge has been trying to balance a newborn while breaking up rough housing between my 4 and 8 year olds. My 8 year old has autism and he goes from playing really great with his younger brother to being upset and hitting when he doesn't want to play anymore or his brother does something that he feels like he shouldn't be doing very quickly and my 4 year old doesn't understand his brother's cues and know when to stop....he thinks his brother always wants to play like he does. 
    I really need to figure out what to do with him with this whole throwing tantrum business. Timeouts don't seem to work with him....he seems to think it's a novelty to sit in his timeout chair for a designated amount of time and having toys taken away doesn't seem to work either. I'm wondering when this stage ends....
    Rants/Raves/Questions:
    My rave: my 8 year old has a harder time showing and expressing his like or love for something (when he comes up to me and says I love you without being prompted is very rare and is a cherished moment when it does happen) but last night he came up to me while I was holding Gwen and he rubbed her feet and said "I like Gwen".  It was so precious and I will never forget that moment. 
    My rant: we're all getting over being sick for the last week and a half which has been hard on its own, let alone with two sick boys, a sick baby and being sleep deprived  :s

I'm a SAHM and nothing will be changing...dh is all ready back at work. Since I've been dealing with being at home by myself with the kids all day for about a month now, I've all ready been dealing with all my concerns (picking up my oldest from school with the two youngest in the car, trying to figure out how to give attention to each of my kids and get stuff done around the house, figuring out a sleep schedule for me and Gwen) for awhile now.  I feel like I've slowly been getting less stressed and getting into more of a routine. Hopefully it continues to get more manageable, even though I know there will be some really stressful, bad days that I'll need more help and need a break from. I had a really, really difficult time adjusting from one to two kids last time but I feel like I've all ready been doing better this time around. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mimi603107 a woman told me yesterday that having 1 baby is like having 1, having 2 is like having 10, and having 3 is like having 3. I thought that was an interesting perspective and feels totally accurate (well, my experience only goes up to 2 haha but it's accurate so far).
  • Options
    @christinaruth74 yeah i think that's accurate lol. I think going from 2 to 3 you've all ready learned what it's like to juggle more than one and what's true with me is that I learned what not to do when I went from 1 to 2 and applied it to going from 2 to 3.  I think I was more shocked and unprepared on how much harder it was to have 2.... this time around, I prepared myself for the worse and thank God when it's better than that lol. 
  • Options
    DH surprised me and flew my mom in this past Friday for a week so i can try to get some rest before heading back to work...everything is easier with an extra adult in the house!

Just trying to spend QT with him before going back to work, meaning he will be entering childcare full time for the first time in over a year :-(

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    With my mom here I am indeed getting a bit more rest....and I go and get sick! I'm talking on antibiotics feel like death sick. It sucks

Getting out the door in the mornings for with with 2....hard enough with 1.... :-/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Christinaruth74 my toddler has gone through the following regressions since the baby was born: 

Potty training (took 2 weeks to fix)
    Sleep (still trouble) 
    Using a paci (was only for sleeping, now she goes to find one when upset)
    Attitude (she rarely cried or threw fits, now it's all the time) 

She's the same age as yours. I hope it gets better because I am out of patience for toddler fits. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon girl the patience is spread THIN around here.  We are in the same boat with all of those regressions except potty training... I still haven't ventured down that road yet. I'm thinking we will potty train come spring/summer when we are hopefully in a better routine. Freaking toddlers. 

Heres to hoping theres a light somewhere at the end of the tunnel for us soon!