January 2017 Moms
Options

Feeding

for those who have had their babies already... how is feeding going?

are you BFing or FFing? 

Any challenges or victories? 
Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
Due 1/21/17

Re: Feeding

• Options
    We are BFing. It has gone pretty well so far but my LO has trouble staying latched. I have a fast let down I think and it is difficult for him to stay on. I've been trying to lean back to slow the flow but he still seems to struggle. 

We also join join the major struggle bus when we are out and I need to use a cover. He gets so warm he just falls asleep! Anyone else have this issue or tips? 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    My girl will not stay latched on my left! It takes a solid 5 minutes for her to latch and stay. It is fairly frustrating at times! We haven't been outuch, but I try to use a cover at home (occasionally, for practice) and I have such a hard time! Maybe it's my type of cover?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're BFing also. We struggled a lot in the first 10 days or so, as I have a fast let-down and our LO, born at 37 weeks, had trouble latching. He cried and thrashed around a lot during each feeding attempt. We saw 3 different lactation consultants while in the hospital, recovering from my c-section, and they all helped a lot. We also saw another lactation consultant at our pediatrician's office once we were home, and she also gave us a lot of encouragement and advice. It sometimes took 15 minutes or longer before he would latch, and we ended up with breast milk all over us both. Two weeks postpartum, things are going much better now - everyone was right, it really does get better!! 
  • Options
    We are EBF. Left boob is an all star, right boob is on the struggle bus - but I am recovering from mastitis on that side so I'm hoping it will catch up soon.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    @Kimberlyh90 do you have a cover with a wire so that you can see baby to help latch? I find that helps for getting started. But we struggle with it getting so hot! 

@The_A_Team I'm glad things are going better now! For something that seems like it should be natural it can be so hard! 

@ceclarlinetlo I hate that you had mastitis! I'm sure it will catch up soon!
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    @scgirl6113 no I dont. I found another cover in my drawer that is the infinity scarf style, so I will try that.
  • Options
    My LO will be 3 weeks tomorrow, so far he's been BFing great! He was up to 8 lb 12 Oz (7lb 1 Oz at birth) at his 2 week check up so I know he's definitely get more than what he needs, but this cluster feeding all day and then every 20-30 min from 9pm-12am is KILLING ME!! 
  • Options
    So far LO is doing great bfing, I had a huge blood blister on one side for the first 3 days and that hurt horribly but it's healed up mostly now, so it just hurts at the initial latch. Hoping it stays this good, would really like to avoid supplementing like we did with my son. She's been gaining weight good they said at the drs today so that's encouraging lol

• Options
    @kimberlyh90 - how do you like the infinity scarf cover? I have one but haven't had to feed lil bub outside of our house yet so I haven't used it.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    @ceclarlinetlo I haven't tried it out as I haven't had to BF outside of the house, but I like the one I have much better than the car seat cover styled ones. Mine is a Leach co. brand. I started having issues a few days ago with latching, so I didn't get to play with the cover as much. I will be digging it out this weekend though.
  • Options
    kaytastic25kaytastic25 member
    edited February 2017
    LO is 3 weeks old already wow! EBF. I keep thinking I have low supply but LC confirmed I do not and he he's growing like a champ. Still working at perfecting latch. Bruised nipples still but not bleeding or cracked anymore. Coconut oil did wonders for that. Biggest issue is his reflux, having terrible time burping and laying him down to sleep. He just keeps spitting up. 
    ETA: pumping once a day to stock up supply.