Baby Names

Pronunciation/ Middle Name

DH and I are considering Madeline for a girl. 2 questions - We prefer the Mad-uh-lynn pronunciation, but I know some people say Mad-uh-line. I know the correct pronunciation is Mad-uh-lynn and the Mad-uh-line pronunciation comes from the children's book, but do you think this would be an ongoing issue? I automatically say Mad-uh-lynn, but is that just me? 

Any ideas for a middle name? We were thinking Grace like DD, but haven't come up with any definites. 

Re: Pronunciation/ Middle Name

• I would say -line. I agree with PP with spelling it Madelyn.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's our daughters name! We love it   We choose to spell it Madilyn. When I see Madeline, I tend to pronounce -line not -lynn. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I had the same argument with my sister - I would pronounce it like the children's book, but she thought it would not be mispronounced often. Turns out she's correct - she named her daughter Madeline (Mad-uh-lyn) and it is rarely mispronounced.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would go with the Madelyn spelling. 
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would spell it with Lynn at the end, I see line and automatically pronounce it as line. Maybe Madilynn, Madelynn, Madilinn, Madelinn. Although personally I don't care for those spellings either, but to avoid the pronunciation I suppose!

• I agree don't spell it -line if you don't want it pronounced that way. It's just easier to avoid the confusion from the start. Madelyn would be better 
  • I pronounce it -line. Like PPs have said, maybe spell it -lyn so as to avoid mispronunciation. 

Suggesting for MN:
    Joy
    Rose
    Elise
    Hope
  • I prefer the French spelling - when I look at it I immediately pronounce it "lynn" instead of "line".

Madeleine.

But I have friends named Caroline that get called Carolyn constantly, so I think you'd potentially have to correct pronunciation here and there regardless.  I don't care for the "lyn" spelling personally.

• I instantly pronounced it Mad-uh-lyn. 
  • Madeline- LINE
    Madeleine- LYN or LEEN
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I have a 4 year old Madeline and it's rarely pronounced like -line. I did a ton of research and went with the traditional spelling because I wanted a classic name and didn't want it to be trendy in a few years. 99% of the time, people pronounce it as intended (Mad-a-Lynn)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I always like traditional spellings, so I'd go with Madeline or Madeleine. I'd never think to pronounce it -LINE instead of -LYNN.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I think both pronunciations are correct-- "lyn" and "line." I prefer Madelyn if you really want to make sure it is pronounced correctly or (my fav) the French spelling: Madeleine (always pronounced 'lyn")