March 2017 Moms

**ALL THINGS LABOR!**

Re: **ALL THINGS LABOR!**

• Pushing Positions? If you're going to a doc or midwife that allows something other than laying down--have you asked what's optimal? Or think you have a preference you want to try? I was laying on my back in bed with my last, but may request side or squatting this go around. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kjd291 I second what @octoberlove13 said. Same thing was said in my yoga class and all the 2nd time mom's there agreed. Supposedly birthing in squat or lunged position provides you 40% more space to birth the baby (again, according to my instructor. No personal experience here)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kjd291 said:
    Pushing Positions? If you're going to a doc or midwife that allows something other than laying down--have you asked what's optimal? Or think you have a preference you want to try? I was laying on my back in bed with my last, but may request side or squatting this go around. 

I found that when I was in the moment I knew how I wanted to be. I thought I would want to squat, but actually sitting up against the back of an inclined bed with my feet being held up by a nurse and my husband was most comfortable for me. I'd be open to experimenting with a couple of positions, youd know right away if it feels right. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks y'all for your answers!
    I'm also trying to think--> go with the flow and do what feels right! But that's hard when I'm such an OCD/type A/planner. Hah.
  • kjd291 said:
    Thanks y'all for your answers!
    I'm also trying to think--> go with the flow and do what feels right! But that's hard when I'm such an OCD/type A/planner. Hah.
    This tendency can work to your advantage! Make a "birthplan" of sorts for your support person/DH. Include a section about pain management suggestions and pushing position suggestions and anything else you want them to remember for you. Then when the moment comes your support person can gently remind you of options to try when your mind is not able to think clearly :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited January 2017
    kjd291 said:
    Thanks y'all for your answers!
    This tendency can work to your advantage! Make a "birthplan" of sorts for your support person/DH. Include a section about pain management suggestions and pushing position suggestions and anything else you want them to remember for you. Then when the moment comes your support person can gently remind you of options to try when your mind is not able to think clearly :)
    I have one! And try to keep going over it and my thoughts and preferences with DH... although last time he fell asleep in the corner of the room while I was in transition... bahah. So: I don't have high expectations for this go around either :eyeroll:

ETA--my midwives are awesome though and claim they will be much more involved and hands on with the whole process compared to a doc just coming in for catching baby--so we'll see.
  • FTM so no experience here, but in my childbirth class, the instructor was showing us how to get into an optimal position for pushing when you're on your back (i.e. if you get epidural and can't use your legs), and you have to really tuck your chin into your chest and scrunch up with someone pushing you forward from the back and someone holding your legs. Apparently this "can" create the right curve for baby to pass through if you are scrunched enough, but it looked so uncomfortable...! I have been open to epidural, but seeing what you have to crunch yourself into in order to push on your back made me more open to seeing how it goes and using whatever is available to me at the time. I like the idea of the bar over the bed and our hospital has one. 

@kjd291 I think you should include in your birthplan for the nurse to wake up DH if he falls asleep again!! 
  • @kjd291 I got my birth ball too! What are some of the recommendations you have?
  • @kjd291 I got my birth ball too! What are some of the recommendations you have?
    It depends on what position your babe is in. Ask your provider at your next appt!  My midwife showed me exactly where babies butt was and some directions to lean and places to push to get her back facing forward. Otherwise, in general, just bouncing or sitting and circling your hips is good.
    Ideal positioning for labor is to have baby facing your back.
  • Amen to the birthball! It's the only place i feel comfortable these days.
  • i've been living on my birth ball since like 20 weeks lol
  • i've been living on my birth ball since like 20 weeks lol
    Lol you crack me up! Between RRL and EPO and dates and now your birth ball, you are on top of your labor game mama!!
  • @cbeanz reclining has been so uncomfortable for me so it's either sitting on the edge of the couch or on the ball haha
  • I WISH I'd busted it out sooner, it's definitely more comfortable than sitting elsewhere! 
  • Sorry you had to go to L&D again @MahiMama. What's your doctors game plan going forward? It's evident the 5-1-1 rule is out so when the heck are you supposed to head to the hospital? That must be equally frustrating and confusing  :/

Pregnancy Ticker

• @MahiMama
    How are you and your infuriating uterus doing today? Thinking about you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Date Study Day 1: I decided to eat 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon.  I ate my first 3, needed some water between each date, to handle the flavor.  I will be armed with water this afternoon.
  • @Cbeanz where are you ordering dates online?
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited February 2017
    @Cbeanz where are you ordering dates online?
    Amazon!  

ETA: You can even order your prunes on there too if you have the same pregnancy problem as me!
  • Ladies that are eating dates to help with labor- when did you start eating them and how many do you eat per day? Mine just arrived in the mail!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @SienaC 36 weeks, which for me is today. I had heard 6 a day, ate 4 so far today.
  • the study had the women eating 6 a day at 36 weeks. i've been doing 3 a day until Friday when I hit 35 weeks and then I'm upping it to 6 just to be safe lol.
  • Study I read said 4 starting 3wks before labor showed positive results.  Ive been eating 5or6,,, and then grabbing a few more because I love them. Hah
  • So wait... maybe I missed something. You guys are officially or unofficially participating in a study about whether eating large quantities of dates will....what, exactly?? I'm fascinated! 

Got my second steroid shot today and another cervix check which has me completely effaced but no further dilated than yesterday. My OB feels good now that baby has gotten two doses of steroids and basically says I could give birth at any time....or I could go to full term! It's anybody's guess. 
    And yeah, The standard rules applying t contractions is totally inapplicable for me. Right now I'm thinking that my cue will be when the contractions are 2-3 minutes apart AND so intensely that I can't easily talk through them. DH is going to be a complete wreck, though-- he's so worried that this labor will be super fast and we won't make it in time! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @MahiMama no not officially lol. the dates are supposed to help avoid premature water breaking, promote the occurrence of spontaneous labor, help avoid pit and improve dilation. Given your current situation idk if you need the help! lol
  • I ate my 6 dates for today. Day 1complete.
  • Date Question: 
    does it matter if they're dried? I don't think I can take 6 a day if they're soft like they come from Costco. I had to gag it down.. so I've got them drying in the oven. I hope they work the same. 
  • @C25, I drank  lots of water with mine and spaced each one out, so it wouldn't be too overwhelming.
  • Very interesting! I'm gonna look it up, research nerd here so I'd like to read the actual study if it's accessible to the public! 

Side note: steroid shot #2 has me feeling CRAZY. DH is picking up some wine for me. Tonight DEFINITELY warrants a glass!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @mahimama this is the link i have to the study. not sure if you can find the full research info https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989
  • I'm only 32w but love the freaking dates so much.  I've been eating them on & off all pregnancy.  I had 4 today.  I plan to eat a few every couple of days until 36w then get my 4-6 a day in.  Nom Nom Nom.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• i must be buying the wrong dates... these don't really taste like much lol