August 2017 Moms

FTM Crib bedding question

This is probably a silly question but if youre not supposed to put baby in the crib with anything to prevent SIDS, why do I need a crib quilt?  Basically my question is, should i register for bedding sets or just a bunch of fitted sheets? TIA!
Me:34 DH:39
Me: A-Okay!
DH: 0-1% morphology
Married: 5/2008  <3
TTC: 5/2009 
**TW--BFP**
2013: IUI x1 Failed
10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: FTM Crib bedding question

• edited January 2017
    Just fitted sheets. If you plan to convert your crib to a toddler bed eventually, you could get a bedding set and store the comforter for later, but chances are in a couple years you will want a new design lol
  • Loading the player...
  • ^^^ this. I fretted over finding the perfect set to match my nursery theme last time. Then I realized none of that shit matters. I got several sets of the same sheets and then a matching minky blanket that we finally let him actually have in his crib at about 12 mos. I recommend 2 tho so you have a backup if they really love that blanket. We never used bumpers. Don't need a bedskirt. You don't need a lot of the stuff they try to sell you. Happy shopping!
  • I was crazy and HAD to have a bedskirt, which you can't buy separately, so I ended up making one. They are actually super easy to make if you are capable of sewing a straight line. 
  • Crib sheets is all you really need the first year. They have a few brands that have patterns on the side mimicking the bumper look if you really want to tie a look together. 
  • We got one of the mesh bumpers. My niece used to get her arms and legs stuck in the crib rails so the mesh was a perfect solution. We got it and it's great. Keeps their arms from getting stuck, but it's breathable so no worries about suffocating. My mom made our bedding and we either hung the quilt on the glider or used it as a play mat/tummy time blanket 
  • Thank you all so much for the input!  @taylormarie923  You're probably right with wanting a new design in a few years.  Especially since they'll be older and I would love to get something that goes with their personalities :) 

@dmbfan46835 I figured its just a way for companies to make people spend money on useless crap.  With twins, I definitely do not want to spend money on things I don't need to.
    Me:34 DH:39
    Me: A-Okay!
    DH: 0-1% morphology
    Married: 5/2008  <3
    TTC: 5/2009 
    **TW--BFP**
    2013: IUI x1 Failed
    10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
    10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
    11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
    12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • a2003tigera2003tiger member
    edited January 2017
    Just fitted sheets for now. However, my 5 year old still sleeps with his crib quilt. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm going to elaborate on my previous post. Around 10-12 months is we usually let our kids have a pillow & a blanket/quilt (we use Halo sleep sacks & muslin blankets before then). My 16mo DD has a pillow, light up seahorse, always has to have her muslin blanket (we love A+A), and one of the quilts my mom has made her. But during the newborn/infancy stage, a fitted crib sheet is all you need. 
  • The quilt that came with my set is hung on a wall rack in my son's room.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ended up gettting the mesh bumper only because my son is a restless sleeper and kept getting limbs stuck in the slats. Ours is an jungle print instead of white though...

https://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-Breathable-Mesh-Liner-White/dp/B0013FGWD0/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1485802012&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=mesh+bumper+pads+for+baby+crib&amp;th=1
  • They can use the crib quilts when they are older and past the SIDS age.  Also they can be draped over the crib during the day, it looks really nice.  
  • Just a note, mesh bumpers are still a strangulation hazard because they could come undone.  The AAP recommends against adding anything to the crib.  No bumpers, no blankets, nothing dangling over the crib.  Bare is safest.

In answer to the original question, we are just registering for crib sheets.  I did buy a cute quilt that I plan to use for floor play/tummy time.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @middy411  -  such a pretty nursery!! that chair looks comfy :). will you be transitioning most/any of that over for the new baby? or will DD keep her room as-is and the new baby will be getting their own room/setup?

• Thank you @em1017 Since DD is only 10 months we are keeping her room as is and just creating a whole extra nursery for the new baby. We got the 4-in-1 crib so she should be able to use the bed for a long time. I did splurge on a Newton mattress (100% breathable cause I'm paranoid lol) so we will put that in the new baby's room and give DD a new [cheaper] mattress
  • @kodariah agreed! That's something you definitely want extra of! Same if you have a pack and play or bassinet route.  Babies are always drooling or spitting up.  You also get random diaper leaks in the beginning when trying to find the diaper that works best for your baby.  I also mentioned this in the STM thread, but dark colored sheets show every spot of drool, so white is your best bet, especially since you can bleach them if needed.
  • I agree as well.  We have the fitted waterproof cover and in the beginning I layered a small pad, sheet, small pad, sheet so that motn it was an easy, quick change without needing to turn on the lights. 
  • @taylormarie923 that's such a good idea!! I'll have to remember that come July/August!
    @middy411 ahhh her room is adorable!! I love the dark furniture with the pink!!
    Pregnancy Ticker