1st Trimester
Options

grad school and pregnancy

* I am cross-posting from the "Working Moms" board to hopefully get more activity *

I need some advice!

I am about 6 weeks pregnant (a huge surprise!) and was accepted to physician assistant school today. The program starts in May, and I expect to deliver in the beginning of the second semester of didactic year. My husband will also be completing his master's degree during that time, and we will have a full time income during that time as well. We will be fairly close to family, but not next door by any means.

I've accepted my seat, but am wondering if I should ask for a deferment now, when it gets closer to school starting, or try and power through it. I would love to hear from other moms who have been through this. 

Thank you!

Re: grad school and pregnancy

• Options
    I went back to school and found out a few weeks in that I was expecting #3.  This baby should is due 2 weeks after finals, but I powered through last semester and plan to do the same this semester.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    * I am cross-posting from the "Working Moms" board to hopefully get more activity *

I need some advice!

I am about 6 weeks pregnant (a huge surprise!) and was accepted to physician assistant school today. The program starts in May, and I expect to deliver in the beginning of the second semester of didactic year. My husband will also be completing his master's degree during that time, and we will have a full time income during that time as well. We will be fairly close to family, but not next door by any means.

I've accepted my seat, but am wondering if I should ask for a deferment now, when it gets closer to school starting, or try and power through it. I would love to hear from other moms who have been through this. 

Thank you!
    @Knottie1442286612

If you think you can power through then I would stick it out. I personally would not take a deferment unless it was medically necessary but that's just me. I would also see if there is someone in administration you can talk to about it as well. I doubt you're the 1st pregnant lady they have had / will have coming through. 

Anyway, congrats and best of luck mama.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As someone going through a medical program while pregnant right now (ill graduate before I'm due) I would defer a year. I'm having a rough first trimester though. Between not being allowed to participate in everything at clinics because of potential risk and being in the bathroom throwing up I miss a lot in clinics and class. My teachers are awsome they help me catch up but I already had a good relationship with them previously.  But if you think you can do it go for it! You'll be super women to me haha, definitely some inspiration! 
  • Options
    I know it's not a medical degree, but I had a really hard pregnancy with twins.   I finished my masters 4 months after they were born.   I spent 6 weeks of that time on hospital bed rest and let me tell you, it's way easier to get stuff done when you don't have 2 little babies to take care of.   Especially if this is your first I would hustle and get it done!    Good luck Mama, sounds like you're doing an incredible job!
  • Options
    I knew multiple people in law school who managed to have babies. One very shortly before the Bar exam. All of the were thrilled that they did, but admitted it was a ton of work. Law school is a lot of studying, but it's not like a medical program where there are labs, etc. I would talk to the school and see if pregnancy would require you to move classes around. I know some stuff just can't be done while pregnant. If you think you can do it, go for it. Congrats. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    I have decided to defer my enrollment until May 2018. The school has been very on board with this, thankfully, and I think I will be more successful with an 8 month old than trying to balance pregnancy/delivery/newborn while also keeping up with school (the program has set classes each year and schedule cannot be altered). Thank you all for your input!