January 2016 Moms

Dropping to one nap

2»

Re: Dropping to one nap

• We are about 50/50. It depends how long she naps. I put her down around 1030/11 and if its an hour-1h30m nap she will have two (the next around 3) but if its longer she has just one. 
  • Just thought I would revive this thread and see if anyone is soley on 1 nap a day? Gina has been fighting her morning nap (about 1030) big time. I mean screaming and jumping in her crib! I've been trying to see if she goes down for that nap for a few days but it's the same thing every time. I give it awhile to see if she eventually falls asleep but nope she doesn't. I put her down for what should be her second nap about 2:00 and she sleeps for about an hour, hour and a half. I don't know if I should keep trying that morning nap or just scratch it and just put her down for an afternoon nap? 
    Keep trying. Mine was resisting at least 1 nap for 2 weeks. It was horrible. The days she skipped a nap, she'd become a bear by bed time!! I'd put her to bed earlier 1-1.5 hr early. Bedtime is 8, she would be down by 630-7. She would sleep to 8ish(13ish hrs) thats how we survived.. she is back to 2 beautiful naps, and sleeping 8-8...there is sleep regression and leap 8 around this time. Hang in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • cali1710 said:
    We are about 50/50. It depends how long she naps. I put her down around 1030/11 and if its an hour-1h30m nap she will have two (the next around 3) but if its longer she has just one. 
    @Cali1710 mine naps 1hr 15mins only each nap. She been extending 2nd nap, every once in a while,  but I've been waking her up. Can't wait for the day when these nap issues end.
  • Mamapema said:
    cali1710 said:
    We are about 50/50. It depends how long she naps. I put her down around 1030/11 and if its an hour-1h30m nap she will have two (the next around 3) but if its longer she has just one. 
    @Cali1710 mine naps 1hr 15mins only each nap. She been extending 2nd nap, every once in a while,  but I've been waking her up. Can't wait for the day when these nap issues end.
    Naps are the worst! The days she has one nap is nice but she sometimes gets cranky just before bed. She sleeps 630/7 until 630/7. 
  • @mamapema it's nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. This 1 nap a day thing is horrible lol. I'm definitely going to keep trying for the morning nap. 
  • We're at one nap pretty consistently now but the time kind of varies. Some days it's as early as 11 and other days closer to 1, but that can also depend on what we have going on that day. LO is usually sleeping 2 hours.  I'm really glad to be down to one nap, it makes trying to schedule things so much easier! 
  • @KFrob I agree one nap is really nice. Its easier to do things!!
  • We mainly just do one nap for about 2 hours. However, if Graham wakes up early or his nap isn't long enough, I try to get him down for 2 naps. I love having to only deal with one nap but sometimes he is definitely cranky the last hour of the day!
  • See that's my issue. She's not totally plesant only on 1 nap so I'm not sure if it's her molars coming in or if she's tired because she's missing a nap. 
  • See that's my issue. She's not totally plesant only on 1 nap so I'm not sure if it's her molars coming in or if she's tired because she's missing a nap. 
    Mine also have molars coming in so shes miserable towards bed but generally shes ok. Depends how busy her day is. Usually at my parents (twice a week instead of daycare) she has two naps but with me its just one 
  • @cali1710 I feel like my LO is miserable from the time she wakes until the time she goes to bed with these molars, which is unlike her. My parents watch her 2x a week also for the days I work and she takes 2 naps there. She's refusing her first nap big time here. She throws a fit! I wish I knew their secret lol 
  • My pedi said 2 naps are expected until around 18 months (of course every babe is different). My girl still needs 2 naps. She LOVES sleeping (always has). She goes down around 1030/11 and 330. I always wake her up by 5pm though cause she'll sleep late.
  • @cali1710 I feel like my LO is miserable from the time she wakes until the time she goes to bed with these molars, which is unlike her. My parents watch her 2x a week also for the days I work and she takes 2 naps there. She's refusing her first nap big time here. She throws a fit! I wish I knew their secret lol 
    Sounds like we have the same child lol. Shes miserable all day too because of these silly molar!!!! She will take a first nap but if she has it its for like 1-115 hours and sometimes wakes up cranky. I need to keep her up longer snd shes happy but the time she wakes up a second nap is too late for her. She usually gets cranky around dinner but bed isnt far after. 
  • cali1710 said:
    @cali1710 I feel like my LO is miserable from the time she wakes until the time she goes to bed with these molars, which is unlike her. My parents watch her 2x a week also for the days I work and she takes 2 naps there. She's refusing her first nap big time here. She throws a fit! I wish I knew their secret lol 
    Sounds like we have the same child lol. Shes miserable all day too because of these silly molar!!!! She will take a first nap but if she has it its for like 1-115 hours and sometimes wakes up cranky. I need to keep her up longer snd shes happy but the time she wakes up a second nap is too late for her. She usually gets cranky around dinner but bed isnt far after. 
    That's so funny..Gina only took one 40 minute nap today! Ugh. I'm really hoping these molars cut through soon. They broke through on one side now I'm waiting for the other side. 
  • cali1710 said:
    @cali1710 I feel like my LO is miserable from the time she wakes until the time she goes to bed with these molars, which is unlike her. My parents watch her 2x a week also for the days I work and she takes 2 naps there. She's refusing her first nap big time here. She throws a fit! I wish I knew their secret lol 
    That's so funny..Gina only took one 40 minute nap today! Ugh. I'm really hoping these molars cut through soon. They broke through on one side now I'm waiting for the other side. 
    Good luck!! 
  • My ds dropped his morning nap right around Halloween. He naps around 1or 2 and stays down for an hour or an hour and half. I felt like I was the only one with party animal baby.
  • Bumping this to check in with those of you who have transitioned to one nap already. Only in the last few weeks has David seemed ready to drop a nap, so we're doing some intermittent one-nap test days. How long does your LO's one nap normally last, and what time does he/she take it?
  • We are still at 2 naps a day--much to my daycare provider's dismay. (They have to take her back to the infant room for her morning nap, since she's the only 1-year-old to still nap in the morning.) She only naps for 20-30 minutes there, but we have to keep them. She's been suffering from both night terrors and restless legs syndrome, and both are aggravated by not getting enough sleep. If she gets both naps, she goes to sleep fine in the evening, and usually has one bout of terrors. If she skips her morning nap, she'll take 2 hours to fall asleep, thanks to her legs, and then will be up every three hours with a terror. 
    On the weekends, she takes an extra long morning nap--sometimes 3 hours+. She still naps in the afternoon and goes down ok at night, so I let her.
  • We are kind of just letting Rose lead the way here.  Some days she has two naps, some days one.  I feel like she sleeps better at night without her second nap, but if she wants one, she gets one, as long as it isn't within 2 hours of bedtime.  Also, her nap schedule is...no longer a schedule, really.  Sometimes she naps at 11, sometimes it's not until 3!  But she's been in a good mood and has tons of energy (no molars yet!) so we're just kind of letting it ride.
  • Graham gets up around 7:30, naps from about 12:30-2:30, and goes down for the night around 7:30. Some days, the times can change by 30 minutes and some days his naps are cut short for some reason, but I'd say this is our schedule 75% of the time. We transitioned about 2 months ago. 
  • We had a one nap test day. Evelyn even cooperated and slept for 3 hours! But the evening was a disaster. We discovered that even if she doesn't sleep, that "rest" she gets from laying in the crib for her second nap time is still necessary. 
  • We're officially at 1 nap per day, since about 14 months old. Otherwise the afternoon nap causes her to wake up grumpy etc. She wakes up at 730, naps 12-2 and goes to bed by 7/730.
  • We have an occasional 2-nap day at this point but one seems to work better more consistently so I'm trying to adjust to the new reality :) When he only naps once he goes to bed early, around 6, and then wakes around 6 (or 5:45!). I would really love to shift that to 7-7 instead, but even when he goes to bed at 7 he's still up at 6. I guess I just have an early riser on my hands!
  • @mamadcb mine is up by 5 no matter what time we put him to bed.  Sigh.  I just keep telling myself that one day he'll be a teenager and then I can sleep in again :)
  • Oh man @nackie that's too early! Even 6 is pushing it. I try not to go in until at least 6:15 (he just chats and plays until I do) hoping that will encourage him to wake later, but... so far not so much. 
  • Omg mine is getting up at 4:30am. Has been for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm dying here!!! My doctor said we're doing everything right and it'll probably pass soon. We leave her in bed until 6am...
  • nackie said:
    @mamadcb mine is up by 5 no matter what time we put him to bed.  Sigh.  I just keep telling myself that one day he'll be a teenager and then I can sleep in again :)
    You don't have to wait that long. By about 4, they are perfectly capable of turning on the TV and entertaining themselves for a bit, and by 5 or 6, they can get their own cereal. (Once our youngest boy was 2 1/2, we had a "no out of bed before the sun" rule. They can be awake and play quietly in their bed, but otherwise, you gotta be quiet, dude.

• @fishee333 I hope it does pass soon! Now I'm telling myself this is just a phase :)