September 2017 Moms
Options

HPTs: Mixed Results

I've "known" I was pregnant pretty much from the moment it happened. Mild nausea, darker nipples, major bloating ... but it took forever to get a positive result. All the pink dye tests have been inconclusive or negative, and the blue dye tests have mostly been positive (in the time frame), but faint. I took one yesterday afternoon that was the strongest positive yet, then had a negative one this morning. Is it possible that it's still too early for some of them? I'm 5+4. I have an appointment on Tuesday, but waiting is so difficult!
D17 May Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV/Movie Mom

*TW*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

30 January 2017: Loss at 6+2

8 March 2017: Loss at 5+4

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HPTs: Mixed Results

• Options
    pandawarespandawares member
    edited January 2017
    Amanda H. said:
    I've "known" I was pregnant pretty much from the moment it happened. Mild nausea, darker nipples, major bloating ... but it took forever to get a positive result. All the pink dye tests have been inconclusive or negative, and the blue dye tests have mostly been positive (in the time frame), but faint. I took one yesterday afternoon that was the strongest positive yet, then had a negative one this morning. Is it possible that it's still too early for some of them? I'm 5+4. I have an appointment on Tuesday, but waiting is so difficult!
    I know this is a pregnancy board but you can't actually ask if you're pregnant. If a test is negative, you're not pregnant at this time. If you are pregnant, you most likely are not as far along as you think you are. Go to your doctor and ask for a blood test instead of asking Internet strangers if you're pregnant. 
    I'm not asking if I'm pregnant. I'm asking about the sensitivity of various types of pregnancy tests and whether others' have had similar experiences. I have an appointment with my doctor, but can't speak with her until then. I have GAD, and I can't take my normal medication for it, since I've had several positive tests, despite being faint. I thought it might help ease my anxiety to talk to others about related experiences, which *is* the point of this board.

Edited to correct grammar.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, I've heard that the blue dye tests aren't to be trusted as much as the pink.  A lot of EVAP lines with blue dye.  Hopefully your Dr. can set things straight for you.
    *TW* 
    Me: 35 | DH: 38
    Met: 2007
    Married: 2013

BFP #1: 06/21/16                MMC: 08/04/16
    BFP #2: 01/08/17             DD: 09/23/17 <3
    BFP #3: 06/10/20             EDD: 02/11/2021

• Options
    jmn1985 said:
    FWIW, I've heard that the blue dye tests aren't to be trusted as much as the pink.  A lot of EVAP lines with blue dye.  Hopefully your Dr. can set things straight for you.
    I've heard the same, which is why I was *very* careful to take the test exactly right and only read it in the given timeframe. The last positive was bright blue, not gray.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto with the blue dye suck
  • Options
    I know it seems like forever but Tuesday isn't all that far away. Your doctor will be able to give you far better information than any of us can. I'd say if you took a test and it was negative, you're either not as far along as you thought you were or you're not pregnant at all. 
  • Options
    I AM NOT ASKING IF I AM PREGNANT. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

Looking back at my photos, the first positive was with a pink dye test. I don't doubt that I am pregnant. Rather, I'm worried that something is going wrong. I was hoping to find support.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    pandawarespandawares member
    edited January 2017
    Amanda H. said:
    I AM NOT ASKING IF I AM PREGNANT. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

Looking back at my photos, the first positive was with a pink dye test. I don't doubt that I am pregnant. Rather, I'm worried that something is going wrong. I was hoping to find support.
    Asking if you could still be too early for a test is asking if you're pregnant in a roundabout way, and will almost always be ready that was on TB. And as pp's have said, there's no way for us to know the answer. No one was rude to you, so I don't think thee's any need to shout. If anything, it was nice of the other posters to inform you of the possible TOU violation, because if an admin reads this and decides you're in violation, you could easily get the first of three strikes against you, after which they would suspend your account, and no-one wants to see that. 
    There are many uses for ALL CAPS. In this case, I was using it for emphasis. If I had wanted to convey shouting, I would have used an exclamation point. Clearly, it didn't work, since everyone thinks I am asking something which I have clearly and emphatically said I am not.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Take a walmart 88 cent test or a First Response Early Response (6 days sooner). They are the most sensitive that I know of. If you can't get a line on those, I'm sorry, but you are not pregnant. At 5 weeks and change, you should be turning tests dark. Do you track ovulation? Why do you say you're 5 weeks+?

ETA: Also, a lot of us are PGAL, so we don't like to tell ppl they automatically have a CP when the tests don't get dark. It's just not what we like to assume for someone.
    Thank you for your response! I took one of the Walmart tests yesterday, and it was negative. I took a more sensitive test, and it was the darkest positive I've had yet. Then this morning, another negative from the same pack of more sensitive ones. Of course, DH lost the last pink dye test I had, and he'll flip if I buy any more tests. I say I'm 5+4 because I only DTD twice between AF and my BFP, and only one day made sense. I don't know when I ovulated, since I just got off of Nexplanon and have no idea what my cycles look like, so I suppose conception could have occurred a day or two after DTD.

Thanks for your ETA, as well. I have yet to experience a CP and didn't stop to think how someone who had would react. My apologies if I offended you or anyone else. I think a lot of my frustration is coming from people assuming that I'm not pregnant to begin with, especially given that my DH and BFF didn't believe me for the weeks leading up to my BFP.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Amanda

I think you and I both know that all-caps are typically interpreted as a raised voice on the interwebs. But, I get it. You are scared something is wrong, and this was the least painful way to ask about it. I've lost two pregnancies, and this one is not out of the wood yet, and I know how pants-shittingly terrifying that can be.

I also know that you're new to The Bump, so I'll give you some advice: next time, just ask for what you really want. If you're scared something is wrong and you want support, just ask for it. The women here are incredibly kind, and love giving support where it's needed. What no one here wants is to answer yet again if someone is pregnant, or if they're still too early for some pg tests, yet again. Those questions happen all the time, and it gets old. No one here knows if you're pregnant, or if something is wrong with your pregnancy, but many of us know that sinking feeling when you think something might be, and we're willing to be here for you either way.

I really hope everything is fine for you and your baby, and you just got some expired or faulty tests. I agree with sugargirl- take a FRER, they're generally very accurate, and either way, make an appointment with your doctor to ease your mind.   

• Options
    I was experiencing the same thing you are.  A flip
    flopping of positive to not sure if it's actually a line or my imagination.... I didn't even tell DH until I had a quick darker line (but still much more faint then with DS).   I am in fact pregnant and it was confirmed by blood work. I think my problem was that I wasn't always using first morning urine so if it was a day I drank a lot of water (which wasn't unusual for me) I was getting questionable lines.  Also I was really early on like 3+5 or 6 days. Or as my OB put it the longest pregnancy in history bc I took a test when I was a "half hour pregnant".  Without temping and really monitoring thing you could be off by quite a few days just going by your DTD remember sperm can live for what seems forever inside a woman!   
  • Options
    What about the tests that actually read "pregnant" or "not pregnant"? I never realized that some tests were better than others as far as what dye they use.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What about the tests that actually read "pregnant" or "not pregnant"? I never realized that some tests were better than others as far as what dye they use.
    I have a friend who every time she tried to use a digital test it always reads that she peed too much on it lol lol
  • Options
    I have a friend who every time she tried to use a digital test it always reads that she peed too much on it lol lol
    I've never been able to get those to work for me.. I get an error message every single time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    wyomama0427wyomama0427 member
    edited January 2017
    I've never been able to get those to work for me.. I get an error message every single time. 

That's so weird, I wonder why! They work for me when I do the dip method. I just thought it was hilarious that you can pee too much on a pregnancy test lol!!

edited for spelling
  • Options
    Digital are tricky and I had a positive two line test and a negative digital!  About a week later I turned a digital, but screwed up the first one and it errored out bc I tilted it before I laid it flat.... 
  • Options
    I got a negative reading too on a digital. Weird because it was test #3 out of 4 that i took (2 digitals, 2 not). The other three were all positives. I don't know what I did wrong but I wouldn't use one again. I'll stick with the old fashioned way.
  • Options
    There's about a dozen reasons your HPTs could be flip-flopping-- time of day you test, how much water you've had, the method of test (pee on it or dip it in), the quality of test, etc., etc. I think you're just going to have to be patient and wait until you see the doctor.