August 2017 Moms

New Jersey Babybox

NxyNxy member
edited January 2017 in August 2017 Moms
Hey New Jersey moms do some Google-ing and get a baby box for your little bundle of joy in August.
I love this idea. Hope it spreads to more states soon!
** edit to clarify** So far this program is only for New Jersey moms @Mango517 has some suggestions below if you'd like one and aren't in New Jersey.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: New Jersey Babybox

• I think it is such a wonderful idea! I really hope it takes off in NJ and soon spreads nationwide. Philly ladies, I think Temple Hospital offers a similar program, so if you know anyone who is planning on delivering there tell them about it!

I do think it's such an awesome concept and would be so helpful to many new mothers. There aren't  any restrictions on requesting one but you never know when NJ will decide to be NJ and cut a useful program like this.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone know if we can order these online? I live in FL :(
  • Loading the player...
  • The NJ program is only for NJ residents since it's a state program. One of the stipulations is providing proof of residency. NJ is getting a lot of positive press for this, so if you think baby boxes would be beneficial for your state I would contact some state health officials to see if it's on their radar for a possibility.

If you want to order a baby box for yourself there are a couple online options that are easy to find with a quick search.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    I had been reading about a few states that were hoping to implement programs like this so hopefully it'll spread soon.
    I hope someone somewhere also realizes Finland also has awesome family benefits. So it's not just the boxes that are keeping their SIDs rates low. If we adopted some of the rest of the world's policies on paid maternity leave and paternity leave I really think we'd see less cases of sleep related "sids".

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nice! Thanks for the info! Didn't know about this! 
  • So I know most of us dont live in NJ, but if you want to get your own baby box, there is this company https://www.babyboxco.com/collections/baby-boxes that sells them.  Even if you go with the largest box, its way cheaper than buying a crib/bassinet plus you get all sorts of things.  My Boss actually used a real Finnish baby box he got online somewhere (not sure how), for his own son.  They moved cross country when he was very little (like 2 months) and so instead of buying a crib they just used the box and then a pack-n-play when he grew out of the box.  This is his blog post about the box, https://www.care.com/c/stories/580/a-year-with-the-finnish-maternity-box/
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • I'm so getting one! 
  • Hoping other states start doing this real soon so we can get one! This looks much safer than a rock n play. I can't understand how those are safe for a full night of sleeping with how much fabric there is!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm tempted by the sleeping box.  I don't need any of the other accessories, but we're out of bedrooms now that we're on kid #3, and our crib just won't fit in our bedroom.  Maybe I could use the box next to our bed.  But something just seems weird about putting a baby to sleep in a box!  Heck, I'll just use the box I got delivered from Amazon last week and save the $70!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • @kmwills it has to have a mattress in it, and I doubt you can find a crib mattress the size of an Amazon box :)
  • @mrsmatt1212 I know...I was kidding.  :)  The thought of a baby in a box makes me laugh, so I was mentally putting baby in all sorts of boxes.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • I did my requirements for mine.  I'm excited this is now an option in NJ!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• I wish we could have those. 
    When I was born in Australia they provided my mom with everything in there, except the cool useful box lol. Like enough products for the whole first month of life. 
    I got a small pack of diapers some wipes and a nose bulb with my daughter lol. 
  • I read in the St. Louis Post Dispatch that they will be offering the baby boxes to new moms in the bootheel counties of Missouri.  They apparently have infant death rates just in those counties higher than the national average and decided to start offering them as a way to hopefully decrease the death rate.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker