June 2017 Moms
Options

Above the crib decorations

LOTON01LOTON01 member
edited January 2017 in June 2017 Moms
anyone else planning on hanging decorations on the wall above the crib? Everything I'm reading says it's fine. However, I still have some FTM worries of things falling into the crib.

Re: Above the crib decorations

• Options
    We have a big framed map of the world hanging above the crib. It's high enough that 9 month DS can't reach it, especially when we lower the crib mattress even more. It is hung fairly securely so we aren't worried about it. 
  • Options
    I have stuff hanging over DD's crib. Just put it high enough so it cannot be grabbed when baby starts pulling up on the crib rails.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't bring myself to do it with my first, but I know lots of people do it and if you're comfortable with it and it is secured really well then go for it. I wouldn't have slept properly thinking a frame could fall on my baby, I'd be so paranoid!
  • Options
    I did super light weight embroidery hoops with fabric for my twins, placed high enough not to be grabbed.  I'd personally be a little worried to put anything heavy above the crib... I'm that way our DH and I's bed as well...
  • Options
    I also used wall decals above the crib for DS. If you're really paranoid, it's a good way to go. 
  • Options
    I have some decorative square things that are made out of fabric so even if they did fall it wouldn't be a big deal. This is part of the reason I'm putting the pack n play where I am instead of in another location in our room! I already have some floating shelves on the wall and I didn't want to have to take them down! haha I will have those above the changing table but since the baby won't ever be on the changing table alone I feel like it is okay. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Do you worry about light fixtures falling down? Photos and decor falling off the walls in the rest of your house?

As long as you hang it correctly, there should be no issues. 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing I've had friends, family, and even my own home have items fall... even when mounted/hung appropriately.  I don't worry about light fixtures but I don't hang heavy artwork or items above beds in any room... after seeing a failed molly bolt and appropriate anchors for a large mirror give out, I'm just paranoid.
  • Options
    There's a quary nearby and a few times a month they must use dynamite and the entire apartment shakes. Nothing has fallen, yet, but I wouldn't want anything on shelves above baby that could cause harm if it fell. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have wall decals above the crib.  Safe and easy.

Even if something is properly mounted, when the baby figures out how to stand and climb it could potentially reach and pull something down.  I'm not as worried about stuff randomly falling as I would be about an unknowing kid pulling it down...which is why a vast majority of our heavy furniture is mounted to the wall.
  • Options
    We are planning on doing something similar above her crib, but those frames and letters from Michaels are super light weight.
    I've never had anything fall off my walls but I'm not comfortable with anything heavy hanging where it could possibly hit my infants head. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    The only time something fell off of a wall/shelf of our house was in the great Virginia quake of '11.  That said, we just do wall decals above/around the crib.  I never saw a need to create that level of enticement for my kids.

Image result for virginia earthquake  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We currently have a Dr. Seuss print above the crib.  It's a stretched canvas type print from Target.    However, I'm thinking about either adding something or changing it, because it looks tiny in the space.   I also plan on hanging a mobile over the crib, using a hook hanging out from the wall. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    For DS we hung a banner but it was fabric and far out of reach.

• Options
    @lovesclimbing I laughed out loud at your response. No nothing has ever fallen off my walls before. I thought it was no biggie and than someone mentioned it to me and I freaked.

• Options
    As long as they can't reach it when standing in the crib you should be fine (they will try). Otherwise decals are a good solution. 
  • Options
    Do you worry about light fixtures falling down? Photos and decor falling off the walls in the rest of your house?

As long as you hang it correctly, there should be no issues. 

Our last house was a new model home.  The light fixture in my DD's room fell twice.  My DH kept checking all the screws and securing it as tightly as possible. It never fell again after that but I was always super paranoid about it falling.  Thankfully she wasn't in her room when it happened and it's in the middle of the room, not right over her bed.  

I would probably be nervous to hang anything too big and heavy right above a crib.  I think I would go for lighter weight canvases or a banner.  But I'm not much of a decorater as it is so I didn't hang anything over my first two kiddos cribs.  
  • Options
    I worry more about the nails. My ds would shake his crib and rattle it into the wall. If something fell, even if it were light, I would worry he could get the nails in his mouth. He's a thrower too... He chucks stuff up at the things on the wall to knock it down and inspect it. Dd never bothered any of it. DS is on lockdown. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    That's what we did over dds crib @BellaO21 it was really lightweight and we never had a problem until she go older and figured out how to take the dot off her "i" lol we ended up switching it around so it's over her dresser. Now the cats stole it and we can't find it. Lol I recommend capital letters! 
  • Options
    I'm on team wall decals. Dd has silhouetted birch trees and birds all along one wall leading up to the corner her crib is in. I put three of the little flying birds that were part of the set above her crib, so it takes the design around the corner. She has a canvas art print above her changing table and a clock above the an arm chair, but she is obviously not spending time in those places alone like she is in her crib. I have been looking for a decal that can go above the crib in the new nursery that will go along with the mountains i am painting on one wall. I'm thinking maybe a moose or a bear or something. 
  • Options
    I think this is what I'm going to do.  I don't know why this is in bold  :D 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    My thought when someone thinks things will spontaneously fall off the walls:

Also, as a former gallery manager, if it's hung properly, short of a major earthquake, it won't fall down. If I can hang a 150lb peice of steel on a wall and have it not come out, I think a framed print will be okay! :)
  • Options
    @WorkingOnMyNightCheese I get this, but I do think circumstances differ. For example, I live about 30 yards from a train track, so things are constantly vibrating and loosening up. I have had things spontaneously fall off of shelves, so that makes me a little nervous. I'm sure some of these ladies live in areas where earthquakes happen. Also, as someone who has never been a gallery manager, I am not 100% confident in my ability to hang heavy things adequately :-) 

I don't think hanging decorations above the crib is necessarily a bad idea, it's just for me. 
  • Options
    @WorkingOnMyNightCheese I get this, but I do think circumstances differ. For example, I live about 30 yards from a train track, so things are constantly vibrating and loosening up. I have had things spontaneously fall off of shelves, so that makes me a little nervous. I'm sure some of these ladies live in areas where earthquakes happen. Also, as someone who has never been a gallery manager, I am not 100% confident in my ability to hang heavy things adequately :-) 

I don't think hanging decorations above the crib is necessarily a bad idea, it's just for me. 
    I think, much like with so many things in parenting, we each just do what we believe is best and are comfortable based on the circumstances and information we have. If I was in your situation and had that experience, I wouldn't hang things above the crib either!
  • Options
    @Wearmi1 That is gorgeous! We are doing something similar! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker