July 2017 Moms

GTKY Money saving tips & tricks

We had a time saving thread yesterday...how about a money saving thread?  We just found out finances may be tighter than expected, and I'm guessing others would like more ways to save as well!  

Re: GTKY Money saving tips & tricks

• I'm a novice, but I try to use Ebates when shopping online.
  • Dovahkiin_99Dovahkiin_99 member
    edited January 2017
    Great thread idea. We're in the same boat. Even though I know we're going to be fine, my nerves got the best of me and I cried about money when I got home from work today! I'd like to make all big purchases before baby gets here. Here are my tips for saving some cash:
    • We're going to cloth diaper and use re-usable wipes. I did a ton of research and you can save roughly $600/year by going the cloth diaper route. Bonus that it's also better for the environment. However, it does take more work, especially if you have more than 1 child. 
    • I plan on buying most of our baby gear from Craigslist, consignment stores (like Once Upon a Child, I don't know if that specific chain exist outside of Canada), and mom buy/sell/bid groups on Facebook. 
    • I'll be hustling my family, friends, and colleagues to see if I can borrow/buy there unused baby gear/clothes. 
    • Maybe we could post awesome deals we stumble across online for baby gear on this thread. 
    • Depending on how long your mat leave is, it may be worth looking into cheaper car insurance options since you'll no longer be commuting to and from work. 
    • Cut back on Starbucks  :'(
    I'm going to add more as I think of them. 

Edit: added more stuff
  • Loading the player...
  • @abmommy15. Food waste I swear a big one for us that I see as a money saving possibility.  I'm always using three of six green onions that don't last until the next week.  How do you find good BST groups?
  • Im with ya @a_wee_bit_terrified cloth diapers all the way!

I was skeptical at first because I thought it would take up so much time and be disgusting.  It's really not bad at all and it saves so much money.  There are a lot of up front costs but you can put cloth diapers on your registry or go the used route to save money.  

Our families give DH and I restaurant gift cards for holidays so we have some of our date nights covered after Christmas and our birthdays.  We also trade off babysitting with other friends with kids so that we all get a few nights out a month without paying a ton for babysitters.

I'm a fan of Gerber packs for convenience on the go but it's easy to make (and freeze) your own baby purees and it saves a bit throughout the month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • -my biggest tip is that I coupon. It has made my life so much better, and saved us when DH finally stopped working to apply for disability (5 mos, no pay and a lot of it was over the summer, when I don't get paid either.)
    -I didn't buy any of my own baby gear - I put everything on the registry, and the shower and gift cards took care of that.
    -Not eating out makes a huge difference.
    -I use a travel CC to get point for our summers, since I'm a teacher.
    -I learned when paying down debt to transfer the (embarrassingly large) balance to a 0% CC until it was all paid off. Unfortunately I made some terrible CC choices in my youth, and have paid off $10,000 or more multiple times.  I do not pay interest. On the plus size, the transfers counted as purchases on my Disney card, so I had enough points to go to Disney for free twice.  It also made my credit phenomenal. I don't recommend getting way up there like that, and I won't be doing it again, but I made the best of it.

• edited January 2017
    I am all about the deals. Here are some things we do currently, or that I want to do:

- I put EVERYTHING we purchase on a cash back credit card. We have a few credit cards, and I pick which one will yield the best rewards for the particular purchase (one card is 3% on groceries, one has rotating categories, etc.). Then pay it off completely every month so we don't pay interest. 

- I just started trying to get into couponing. So that is definitely more of a 'goal' for me going forward. I also follow websites like Krazy Coupon Lady and TotallyTarget to keep an eye out for really good deals. 

- I plan to make my own baby food when that time comes.

- I second ebates for online shopping.

- Raise.com. You can buy gift cards at a discount (depending on the store and availability). Then, since it's a gift card, you can stack that savings with any other coupons/discounts. Bonus when raise.com is doing ebates cash back! We used Raise when we built our deck a few years ago and saved SO much. We are currently getting ready to start finishing our basement and will be using it again. 

- ETA Ibotta/Checkout51 apps. You submit your grocery receipt for cash back. Or if you shop at certain grocery stores (like mine) you can link your rewards card to the app so you literally don't have to do anything except go through the savings options before going shopping, and then it automatically submits for payment when you check out. These are smaller savings ($0.25 on milk, $.50 on bananas, etc.) but it adds up.

@chiquita928 We also recently did a CC transfer to 0% too. We had some wedding debt and debt from when we built our deck that we have been trying to pay off. I actually have us on a plan to have it gone in 6 months, but with baby coming now and us trying to finish the basement, I am sure we will accrue more. :( I swear it's never-ending. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @abmommy15 @Rae1 anyone else maybe you can help me:
    1) we're doing some home upgrades and ideally I'd like to pay the architect, contractor, and engineer with cc so I can get points. The engineer only accepts PayPal or check. The cc fee to PayPal my deposit is $23 ($800 deposit). I like to horde points for flights etc. would YOU pay the $23 charge for paypal to get the points? 

• @Rae1 From personal experience, pay off that debt in the 6 months, and then put the new stuff on a different 0% if you must.  That way, time doesn't run out on the 0% in the middle of the debt.  And I REALLY suggest holding back as much as possible on the spending.  It piles on so quickly.  We did too much to our house too quickly, and it was terrifying the amount of debt we had while pregnant with DS.  Then, when DH had his stroke, etc. and had to stop working, we still had debt to pay off.  You never know what's coming, so try to accrue as little as possible.

As far as baby stuff goes, I didn't notice that it had much of an impact of the budget, really.  We basically couponed the day-to-day stuff, got everything we could from the shower, and then the rest was a natural trade-off.  You don't go out to eat/shop as much because you're exhausted, so those savings are applied to baby stuff.  Maybe it was just me, though.
  • Also, I'm a BIG ebates fan!  Just wish it worked more with Amazon.
  • @chiquita928, oh for sure the plan is to pay off the current debt and put the new debt on 0% int cards. Luckily, DH has been able to take on quite a bit of side work in the last 6 months, so we should be getting a decent amount of 'extra' income here in the next few months when his check comes in, which will pay off a good portion of the debt. 

I keep a pretty intricate spreadsheet (accounting nerd lol) that I updated monthly, and I have us on a good system to pay everything off. I am really proud of how much we have paid off in the last year. Just gotta keep trucking. I can't wait for it to be gone!

@satsumasandlemons I guess it depends what the CC rewards would be if you do the paypal deposit. If the reward is higher than the cost, I would probably go for it. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • abmommy15abmommy15 member
    edited January 2017
    @theweevee For BST sites I asked friends and did searches on Facebook (all the ones I use are on FB).  Found a couple of great sites that way.  

@satsumasandlemons If the value of the points you would get is more than the fee then yes.  I earn 2 points per dollar I spend and when I redeem them they are worth $0.01 each.  In your case I would earn 1600 points which would be redeemed for $16 so paying the fee wouldn't be worth it.
  • @Rae1 Awesome, good for you!! I also have a spreadsheet...we must be kindred spirits.
  • @satsumasandlemons I would definitely not mess with it. However, my Discover card is linked to my paypal already, so I don't have to pay any fee to use it... I don't understand where the fee comes from in your case.

Plus if you pay the $800 in cash, nothing will come up so you accidentally get charged interest on that amount.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
    • I grocery shop weekly rather than bi or monthly.  Hopefully that won't change once baby comes along.  I find it reduces the waste and we never have more in our cupboards than we actually need.  Generally I meal plan before doing this so I only get the exact ingredients, veggies, meat etc.  I also don't ever buy anything that isn't on sale. 
    • I too, use Ebates for all my online shopping.  I have been looking into Amazon Prime though.  I love Amazon and it seems like it's worth the cost 
    • My auto insurance is pretty low as-is so I don't have any issues there.  I am going to save hundreds not commuting to work.  That also means that I'm going to be going in for service appt's a lot less often as well so those combined will help my budget a lot.  (I do approximately 600km to work and back a week, that doesn't include my own personal driving around, with a service appt every 8000km)  I drive an SUV. 

• I second cloth diapers and making my own food.  Not really because it's cheaper, it's just what I've always planned to do.  DH and I live on an okay piece of land so we have the room to grow a lot of our own food.  It just makes sense.  

DH and I are middle-class and I've always had it in my head that we are good with money but we really aren't.  I see that now so something's gotta give.  I've been doing budgets since I can remember and it just doesn't work for us.  Maybe going cash is the only option?!  Who knows.  I have dug us out of many, many debt holes but we need to stop creating said holes in the first place.  We aren't poor.  There's no reason we should be living paycheck to paycheck!  We need to get our sh!t together before baby gets here.  LOL  Leave is going to be tight but between my universal child tax credit (Canada) and what I'm saving on gas/maintenance, that should bring me back up to full pay. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • stokesm21 said:
    • I grocery shop weekly rather than bi or monthly.  Hopefully that won't change once baby comes along.  I find it reduces the waste and we never have more in our cupboards than we actually need.  Generally I meal plan before doing this so I only get the exact ingredients, veggies, meat etc.  I also don't ever buy anything that isn't on sale. 
    • I too, use Ebates for all my online shopping.  I have been looking into Amazon Prime though.  I love Amazon and it seems like it's worth the cost 
    • My auto insurance is pretty low as-is so I don't have any issues there.  I am going to save hundreds not commuting to work.  That also means that I'm going to be going in for service appt's a lot less often as well so those combined will help my budget a lot.  (I do approximately 600km to work and back a week, that doesn't include my own personal driving around, with a service appt every 8000km)  I drive an SUV. 

• I second cloth diapers and making my own food.  Not really because it's cheaper, it's just what I've always planned to do.  DH and I live on an okay piece of land so we have the room to grow a lot of our own food.  It just makes sense.  

DH and I are middle-class and I've always had it in my head that we are good with money but we really aren't.  I see that now so something's gotta give.  I've been doing budgets since I can remember and it just doesn't work for us.  Maybe going cash is the only option?!  Who knows.  I have dug us out of many, many debt holes but we need to stop creating said holes in the first place.  We aren't poor.  There's no reason we should be living paycheck to paycheck!  We need to get our sh!t together before baby gets here.  LOL  Leave is going to be tight but between my universal child tax credit (Canada) and what I'm saving on gas/maintenance, that should bring me back up to full pay. 
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. Also, I wish I had the "thumb" and focus to grow our own food. I can barely keep herbs on the kitchen counter alive...even with an aerogarden. Plus we have 13846629103736 animals by us that eat ALL of my outdoor plants.
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited January 2017
    theweevee said:
    @abmommy15. Food waste I swear a big one for us that I see as a money saving possibility.  I'm always using three of six green onions that don't last until the next week.  How do you find good BST groups?
    I HATE wasting food and try my best to reduce food waste. We eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats so we only have a limited shelf-life for a lot of our groceries. We recently got a vegetable saver and it is amazing- it doubles the life of your produce. This is the one we have, but I'm sure any similar product would be fine.

https://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-collection-produce-keeper-only-at-macys?ID=2556462

Edit to add: Prior to getting pregnant, I was unaware that you could use tax-free funds to pay for childcare. Once the baby is here, we are dumping all our childcare costs into the FSA so it is considered tax-free spending. I am a FTM and I don't think you can start adding funds before the baby arrives. (Could be wrong about this?) Also, I live in the US so not sure if there is a equivalent for all you Canadian mamas.
  • @oheliza44 as far as my state goes you add before they are born (max of $5000 yearly and comes out in chunks evenly divided per 26 pay periods) but it does not roll over and has to be used for that year. We blow through that in like 6 months though. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • chiquita928  Glad to hear that I am not alone lol!  Keeping animals out of my gardens is going to be an issue. We have coyotes, lots of turkeys, birds, raccoons, deer ... you name it.  I have successfully kept a bamboo plant alive (not hard haha!) for almost a year now and am doing well with my aloe vera plant that was given as a favour at a wedding.  They give me strength in my food-growing abilities haha!  DH is a rough-and-tumble kind of guy but he's excited to grow the food too so I think between the 2 of us it will be okay.  I hope.    
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • XathXath member
    edited January 2017
    I used to have trouble saving money.  If there was money in my account after the bills were paid, I ended up just spending more that month.  I had a savings account, but it wasn't purpose-driven, so it just sort of sat there.  

I opened a SmartyPig account.  They do goals-based savings.  At the time they were the only one to do that; now a lot of other banks have similar options.  I can use one account and set up many individual goals.  I enter what I'm saving for, how much I'd like to save in total, and my goal date for completion.  It then suggests the amount of $ I'd need to save each interval to meet that goal.  I have my funds deducted from my checking account every pay day so the "extra" money is never there for me to spend.  If I do get extra money from something, I can still do one-time deposits into the savings account.  

I removed the totals, but you can see what part of the dashboard looks like.  It makes it very easy to track progress.  The bank has a pretty good interest rate (for a savings account) that scales depending on how much money is in each goal.  It has made it so much easier to save, and we end up taking out fewer loans because we pre-plan for major expenses.  It's really helped me shift from a paycheck-to-paycheck existence to something more long-term.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm loving this thread, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. the only thing iv been doing is saving 250 every month for the nursery. 
  • For us, simply budgeting saved us money. How you may ask? It got us thinking about every single purchase and whether it was a need or a want. 

Before DD was born 3 years ago, we read Dave Ramsey's book "Total Money Makeover." It changed how we though of money. We stopped spending on credit cards almost immediately. Saved $1,000 in an emergency fund. Stacked our debts (credit card, student loans, car) and started using the debt snowball to knock them out one by one. We haven't followed the program to a T. We aren't gizelle intense, but we are paying it off faster than we would have before. We have more now in savings than we had in credit card debt when we started. We pay cash for everything. New HVAC for the house? Had that, easily- never thought I would say that because credit was the norm in my family. I recommend it for anyone who needs some motivation or help getting started. You can even save the $25 and check it out of your local library.

For us, it was realizing how much we were wasting; groceries, entertainment, eating out. We had no idea. Now we tell our dollars where to go. We have 9 bank accounts and debit cards for all of them so if we are buying something for the house, it comes out of the home/home improvement account. Not enough in that account? Keep saving and put off the purchase until the money is there. It's helped us stay disciplined. 

It also helped us to realize that at a certain income, you no lonher get to deduct student loan interest. Well then we need to pay those off faster because they don't have any benefit. 

Love hearing everyone's ideas, sorry mine aren't specific individual savings ideas, but I wanted to share because it was such a difference maker for us!
  • I LOVE Aldi! I do most of my shopping there and only hit the bigger grocery stores if we need a specific name-brand snack or other item. I've only recently been able to improve our food waste situation, because I've been pretty strict with my meal plans. Meal planning seriously changes everything! If I don't have a plan and a grocery list, I find myself spending almost double the amount.
    If you're having trouble with food waste, maybe try a website or app like My Fridge Food, where you go through a list and select the items you have on hand, and it generates recipes based on those ingredients. I've tried it before with a few successes (and it doesn't really work if you have like nothing on hand) but it could be useful if you find you have lots of fresh produce that'll otherwise go to waste! 
  • I am loving this thread and have started a document on my computer with the tips people mentioned that I didn't think of haha.

Kind of touching on what others have said:

- In addition to FB buy/ sell/ trade groups, Craigslist, etc I shop at Goodwill about once a week to look for items too. Last week I really lucked out. I had this pack and play from Target on my registry in the Milan color ( https://www.target.com/p/graco-pack-n-play-playard-with-newborn-napper-bassinet-lx/-/A-15290359) and I found it at Goodwill for $60 and it was BRAND NEW - never opened!! :)

- I shop at Walmart a lot because I have had bad experiences with Aldi and as soon as I get into the car, I scan the square bar code on the bottom into my Walmart Savings Catcher app! I have got a lot of money back that I could use towards a future purchase :) And not only does it tells you what items you got money back but also how much and what store had it cheaper.

- I also love couponing! I find it really fun! I don't go crazy with it but I do go through the papers, adds we get in the mail.

- I also sign up for freebies sites and sample sites (I have a separate email address just for that so I don't have to deal with 100 emails from them lol)

- Also, a lot of times if you contact a manufacturer they will send you coupons or samples if you ask.

Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Man, so many good tips here! 

I paid off almost $10,000 in debt before baby # 1 arrived. We had no debt until this past month when my husband got into a car accident, and now we're looking at $500,000+ in ICU bills, ouch.

But, aside from that issue, I'm good at budgeting, shopping smart, and staying out of debt...after all that hard work. Having a weekly money budget is essential, so much money is wasted when you're not paying attention to where every penny is going. And if you have extra pennies, throw them in savings! 

Shop smart with coupons, discount stores, holiday sales etc. I always stock up on bulk stuff when it's on sale. I don't have Amazon Prime anymore but it was a useful tool, I just got a little wasteful with my purchases and I hate that. 

Ultimately, just spend within your means, even if that means going without some stuff. Babies really need SO LITTLE! They don't need you going into debt for them. Diapers, blankets, a couple outfits, coconut oil, breastmilk, boom! Babies first 8 months are already taken care of haha. 
  • oheliza44 said:

Edit to add: Prior to getting pregnant, I was unaware that you could use tax-free funds to pay for childcare. Once the baby is here, we are dumping all our childcare costs into the FSA so it is considered tax-free spending. I am a FTM and I don't think you can start adding funds before the baby arrives. (Could be wrong about this?) Also, I live in the US so not sure if there is a equivalent for all you Canadian mamas.
    The way ours works, you have to decide how much to add at the time of enrollment (probably the beginning of the year). So with DS I was due May 2014, and we enrolled in Jan 2014. We had no idea how much we were going to need because he wasn't going to daycare until August of that year and we hadn't chosen a center yet, so we just guessed. Every year since then we just put the max in, and it's not even half our actual childcare costs. And it's not like the medical FSA where you have access to the funds in the beginning of the year. They will only reimburse the amount that has been paid in up to that point. 
  • Clio said:
    I've made one simple change recently that has saved us a couple hundred dollars a month, and that is shopping at Aldi. Right now I alternate between Aldi and Walmart because I can't get everything I need there but my goal is to plan enough ahead so that I can shop at Aldi three times a month. Every time I go I save about $100- it's awesome.
    Yes!! We are amazed at what we can find/buy at Aldi down the road! Tons of fresh fruit, meats and organic! Did you know you can Pintrest Aldi meals? Where it gives you ideas and most the time you can buy 100% of the ingredients there.